Main Article Content
employee, food, organizational commitment, physical activity, sports
Summary. Objective: Participation in regular physical exercise and sports activities has positive effects on physical and mental health. Organizational commitment is a very important factor affecting the productivity of employees in the business world. The purpose of this study is to investigate the contribution of participation in physical exercise and team sports activities on organizational commitment of employees. Methods: Ninety employees who have been working for a food production company for two years or more participated in this research. Participants grouped as control (CG), individual physical exercises (IPEG) and team sports activities (TSAG). IPEG participated in individual physical exercise programmes and TSAG groups participated in team sports activity programmes throughout eight weeks and two days in a week. Organizational Commitment Scale developed by Meyer, Allen and Smith (1993) and adopted to Turkish Culture and Turkish Language by Dağlı, Elçiçek and Han (2018) was used to determine the organizational commitment status of participants. Paired t-test and ANOVA test were used in the statistical analyses. Results: TSAG mean score was significantly higher than control group regarding organizational commitment total score means (p<0.05). Emotional commitment, normative commitment and total organizational commitment post-test mean scores of TSAG were significantly higher than their pre-test mean scores (p<0.05). Conclusion: Finally, participation in team sports activities increases employees’ emotional and normative commitments to their companies without any financial profit.
2. Gong Y, Law KS, Chang S, Xin KR. Human resources management and firm performance: The differential role of managerial affective and continuance commitment. Journal of Applied Psychology. 2009; 94: 263-275.
3. Zaraket M, Garios R, Malek LA. The impact of employee empowerment on the organizational commitment. International Journal of Human Resource Studies. 2018; 8: 284-299.
4. Visanh P, Xu H. Factors affecting organizational commitment of employee’s of Lao development bank. Sociol Int J. 2018; 2: 809-818.
5. Baird KM, Tung A, Yu Y. Employee organizational commitment and hospital performance. Health Care Management Review. 2019; 44: 206-215.
6. Tazegül Ü, Çimen K, Atar Ö. Comparison of social anxiety levels of students that do and do not sports. North Asian International Research Journal of Social Science & Humanities 2016; 2: 32-40.
7. Uğraş S, Özen G. Investigation of relationship between attitude to physical education course and school belonging. Pedagogy of Physical Culture and Sports. 2020; 24: 48-53.
8. Meyer JP, Allen NJ, Smith CA. Commitment to organizations and occupations: Extension and test of a three-component conceptualization. Journal of Applied Psychology. 1993; 78: 538-551.
9. Han B, Dağlı A, Elçiçek Z. Örgütsel bağlılık ölçeği’nin Türkçeye uyarlanması: Geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması [Adaptation of the “Organizational Commitment Scale” into Turkish: Validity and reliability study]. Electronic Journal of Social Sciences. 2018; 17(68): 1788-1800.
10. Daniels E, Leaper CA. longitudinal investigation of sport participation, peer acceptance, and self-esteem among adolescent girls and boys. Sex Roles. 2006; 55: 875-880.
11. Dindar MD, Bilir Güler S. Spor Aktivitelerinin Şirket Çalışanları Üzerindeki Etkisi [The Effect of Sports Activities on Company Employees]. Nobel Bilimsel Eserler: Ankara, 2019.
12. Togo OT. Evaluation of the Effect of Corporate Sport Organizations on Organizational Commitment and Quality of Life. Master Thesis, Marmara Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, İstanbul, 2018.
13. Hellison D, Martinek T, Walsh D. Sport and responsible leadership among youth. In Positive Youth Development Through Sport (pp. 63-74). Routledge, 2007.
14. Gratton C, Taylor P. Economics of sport and recreation ( 2. Ed.). E & FN Spon Ltd., 2000.
15. Ramaprasad BS, Prabhu KN, Lakshminarayanan S, Pai YP. Human resource management practices and organizational commitment: A comprehensive review (2001-2016). Prabandhan: Indian Journal of Management 2017; 10: 7-23.