Main Article Content
Luciobarbus esocinus, Sous-Vide, Cold Storage, Shelf Life
The aim o this study was to investigate chemical, microbiological and sensory quality of sous-vide cooked Luciobarbus esocinus (Heckel, 1843) during chilled storage. Moisture, ash, fat, protein, salt, pH, total volatile basic nitrogen (TVB-N), thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARs), counts of aerobic mesophile bacteria, aerobic psychrophilic bacteria and yeast-mold were determined in raw material. The sensorial, chemical and microbiological changes of products obtained under the cold storage were analysed in 3 days interval with 3 replicates.
The data obtained from chemical analysises was evaluated statistically; the differences amongst different cooking temperature applied groups interm of moisture, protein, fat and ash were found unsignificant (p>0.05). But pH, TVB-N values in groups during storage period was found significant (p<0.05).
The total earob psychrophile bacteria, total areobic mesophile bacteria and yeast-mold counts at groups treated different cooking temperature were found unsignificant (p>0.05).
It was observed that products prepared according to the sous-vide method are liked considerably.
In conclusion; it was determined that application of sous-vide technology had a positive affect upon shelf life of fish products.
2. Church IJ, Parsons AL. The sensory quality of chicken and potato products prepared using cook–chill and sous vide methods, Int J Food Sci Tech 2000; 35: 155–162. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.2000.00361.x
3. Creed PG. Sous vide-an overview of the process. In Ready Meals: The Revolution in Convenience; Teagasc, The National Food Centre, (Workshop No. 36), Dublin, Ireland 2000.
4. Gonzalez-Fandos E, Garcia-Linares MC, Villaniro-Rodriguez A, Garcia-Arias MT, Garcia-Fernandez MC. Evaluation of the microbiological safety and sensory quality of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) processed by the sous vide method. Food Microbiol 2004; 21: 193-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-0020(03)00053-4
5. Cobos A, Diaz O. Sous-Vide Cooking of Traditional Meat Products: Effect in the Microbiology of Dry-Cured Pork Foreleg, Communicating Current Research and Educational Topics and Trends in Applied Microbiology, Formatex 2007.
6. Aran N. The effect of calcium and sodium lactates on growth from spores of Bacillus cereus and Clostridium perfringens in a ‘sous-vide’ beef goulash under temperature abuse. Int J Food Microbiol 2001; 63: 117–123.
7. Jang JD, Seo GH, Lyu ES, Yam KL, Lee DS. Hurdle effect of vinegar and sake on Korean seasoned beef preserved by sous vide packaging, Food Control 2006; 17: 171- 175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2004.09.017
8. Paik HD, Ki HJ, Nam KJ, Kim CJ, Lee SE, Lee DS. Effect of nisin on the storage of sous vide processed Korean seasoned beef. Food Control 2006; 17: 994–1000. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2005.07.005
9. Szerman N, Gonzalez CB, Sancho AM, Grigioni G, Carduza F, Vaudagna SR. (). Effect of whey protein concentrate and sodium chloride addition plus tumbling procedures on technological parameters, physical properties and visual appearance of sous vide cooked beef. Meat Science 2007; 76, 463-473. https://doi.org/10.1016 /j.meatsci.2007.01.001
10. AOAC. Official methods of analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists Gaithersburg, ed.17th, Maryland 2002.
11. Antonacopoulos N, Vyncke W. Determination of volatile basic nitrogen in fish: a third collaborative study by West European Fish Technologists' Association (WEFTA). Zeitschrift für Lebensmittel-Untersuchung und Forschung A 1989; 189:309-316.
12. Tolgay Z, Tetik İ.). Guide of food control and analysis, Ege Press, Ankara ,1964; 449.
13. Tarladgis BG, Watts BM, Younathan MT, Dugan LR. A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in foods J American Oil Chemist’s Society, 1960; 37: 44–48.
14. ICMSF. (International Commisson on Microbiological Spescifications for Foods). Microorganisms in Foods 2. sampling for microbiological analysis, 2nd edition, University of Toronto Press, Toronto 1986.
15. Altuğ Onoğur T, Elmacı Y. Evaluation of sensorial in foods, Sidas Media, İzmir 2011.
16. Özdamar K. Biostatistical with SPSS, Pub no: 3, 4. Kaan Publisher Eskişehir 2001.
17. Mol S, Özturan S, Cosansu S. Determination of the quality and shelf life of sous vide packaged whiting (Merlangius merlangus euxinus, Nordmann,1840) stored at cold (4°C) and temperature abuse(12°C). J Food Process. Preserv. 201236, 497-503. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2017-0571
18. Garcia-Linares MC, Gonzalez-Fandos E, Garcia-Fernandez MC, Garcia-Arias MT. Microbiological and Nutritional quality of sous vide or traditionally processed fish: Influence of fat content. J Food Qual 2004; 27(5): 371-387, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.2004.00676.x
19. Cosansu, S., Mol, S., Alakavuk, D.U., & Özturan, S. (2011). The effect of lemon juice on bonito (Sarda sarda, 1793) preserved by Sous vide packaging. International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 46, 395-401. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2010.02507.x
20. Türkmen Akkuş, T., (2007). The effect on product quality of processes applied on system of crayfish processing, Thesis PhD, İstanbul University, Institute of Science, İstanbul.
21. Shamshad, S.I., Nisa, K.U., Riaz, M., Zuberi, R. & Qadri, R.B. (1990). Shelf life of shrimp (Penaeus merguiensis) stored at different temperatures, Journal of Food Science, 55(5), 1201. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb03898.x
22. Sikorski, Z.E., Kolakowska, A. & Burt, J.R. (1990). Postharvest Biochemical and Microbial Changes: Seafoods: Resources, Nutritional Composition, and Preservation. CRC Pres, Boca Raton, Florida, 55- 75.
23. Varlik, C., Ugur, M., Gokoglu, N. & Gun, H. (1993). Methods and quality control in seafood product. Food Technol. Publication. No: 17. İstanbul, Turkey.
24. Olgunoğlu Aİ, Özogul F.Sensory chemical and microbiological changes of marinated anchovy (Engraulis engrasicholus L., 1758). J Cukurova Unıversity Institute of Natural and Applied Sciences 2007; 16,4: 72-81
25. Farber L. Freshness Tests. Fish as Foods, Academic Press New York and London, 1965; 65-126.
26. Varlik C, Erkan N, Özden Ö, Mol S, Baygar T. Fish Processing Technology. İstanbul: (In Turkish) Faculty of Fisheries, İstanbul University. 2004; 491–495.
27. Can ÖP.. Evaluation of the microbiological, chemical and sensory quality of carp processed by the sous vide method. World Academy of Science, Engineering & Technology, 2011; 5: 8, 477-482.
28. Diaz P. Garrido M., Banon S. Spoilage of sous vide cooked salmon (Salmo salar) stored under refrigeration Food Sci Technol Int 2011;17:31-37.