Main Article Content
star wrestlers, nutrition counseling, success
ABSTRACT: The aim of this study is to investigate the feeding habits of national wrestlers. 36 volunteer male newcomer national wrestlers who were between 13-15 years old participated in the study. One group of the wrestlers in two different regions of the same age was given nutrition education and nutrition counseling by the researcher for one year. The obtained data were saved to the computer using SPSS 13.5 package program. In all tests, p <0.05 was considered significant. Group I had more length growth than the other group. The hip circumference and upper middle arm circumference were found to be larger in Group I than in Group II (p<0.05). There was a statistically significant difference between the degree of wrestlers in the competitions (p<0.05). About one in twenty athletes in Group I who received continuous nutritional counseling consumed carbohydrate, vitamin B1, vitamin B12 and calcium below RDA's recommended values for adolescent children. Among group II athletes food items consumed below recommendation and percentages were; 5.9% for total energy, 41.2% for carbohydrate, 70.6% for fiber, 47.1% for vitamin A, 17.6% for vitamin E, 94.1% for vitamin B1, 47.1% for vitamin B2, 58.8% for vitamin B6, 88.2% for biotin, 70.6% for folic acid, 94.1% vitamin for C, 58.8% for potassium, 100.0% for calcium, 29.4% for magnesium, 11.8% for phosphorus, 17.6% for iron, 76.5% for pantothenic acid. The athletes of the wrestling, have improved their performance and growth positively when they have adequate and balanced nutrition counseling.
2. Sinha S, Modi JN. Psychosocial Aspects of Changes During Adolescence among School Going Adolescent Indian Girls. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology 2017; 3(2): 409-413.
3. Berhane F, Berhane Y, Fantahun M. Adolescents’ Health Service Utilization Pattern and Preferences: Consultation For Reproductive Health Problems and Mental Stress Are Less Likely. The Ethiopian Journal of Health Development (EJHD) 2005; 19(1): 29-36.
4. Sylvia Escott-Stump, L Kathleen Mahan. Krause's Food & Nutrıtıon Therapy, International Edition, 12e ISBN: 978-0-8089-2378-7: Lisa Dorfman.Nutrition for Exercise ans Sports Performance : CopynSht (c) by Saunders,an imprint of Elsevier Inc.p; 2008. P. 587-599. 5.Turgut M, Argun B, Sarıkaya M, Çınar V. 17–18 Yaşlarındaki yüzme sporu yapan sporcuların beslenme alışkanlıklarının değerlendirilmesi. International Journal Of Science Culture and Sport Special 2014; 8(2): 242-254.
6. Otağ A, Otağ İ. 12-14 Yaş Grubu Erkek Çocuklarda Güreşin Kardiyak Etkileri: Bir Ekokardiyografi Çalışması. Cumhuriyet Medical Journal 2011; 33(2): 160-163.
7. Artioli GG, Gualano B, Franchini E, Scagliusi FB, Takesian M, Fuchs M, Antonio Herbert Lancha JR. Prevalence, magnitude, and methods of rapid weight loss among judo competitors. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2010; 42(3): 436-442.
8. Bradley DD. Prevalenceand Effects Rapid Weight Loss Among International style Wrestlers. Dept. HPER, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI, USA1401 Presque IsleMarquetta, 2006; 1-17.
9. Al-Hourani HM, Atoum MF. Body composition, nutrient intake and physical activity patterns in young women during Ramadan. Singapore Med J. 2007; 48(10): 906–910.
10. Pettersson S, Pipping Ekstrom M, Berg CM. The food and weight combat. A problematic fight for the elite combat sports athlete. Appetite 2012; 59(2): 234–242.
11. Ersoy G. Egzersiz ve Spor Yapanlar İçin Beslenme. 5.Baskı, Ankara: Nobel Yayın Dağıtım, 2012.
12. Ghiasvand R, Askari Gh, Malekzadeh J, Hajishafiee M, Daneshvar P, Akbari F, Bahreynian M. Effects of six weeks of β-alanine Administration on VO2 max, Time to Exhaustion and Lactate Concentrations in Physical Education Students. Int J Prev Med 2012; 3(8): 559–563.
13. Askari G, Ghiasvand R, Karimian J, Feizi A, Paknahad Z, Sharifirad G, Hajishafiei M. Does quercetin and vitamin C improve exercise performance, muscle damage, and body composition in male athletes?. J Res Med Sci 2012; 17(4): 328–31.
14. Artioli GG, Franchini E, Solis MY, Tritto AC, Antonio H. Lancha JR. Nutrition in Combat Sports. Chapter 11. Nutrition and Enhanced Sports Performance 2013. p. 115-127.
15. Pekcan G. Şişmanlığın Saptanması, III. Uluslararası Beslenme ve Diyetetik Kongresi Bildiri, Özet Kitabı, Ankara; 2000. p. 94.
16. Poskitt EM. Body mass index and children obesity: are we nearing a definition?
Acta Paediatr 2000. p. 89, 507–509.
17. Burke L, Deakin V. Clinical Sports Nutrition, 2.Baskı, Avustralya; 2000.
18. Baysal A, Bozkurt N, Pekcan G, Besler T, Aksoy M, Merdol T, Keçecioğlu S, Mercanligil SM. Diyet El Kitabı, 5.Baskı, Hatioğlu Yayınevi 2008. p.65–116.
19. Beslenme Bilgi Sistemi, 2007, Istanbul: A Turkish Food Code and Nutrient Data Base; Ebispro for Windows, Stuttgart, Germany, Version II.3 [http://www.bfr.bund.de/cd/801
20. Schofield WN. Predicting basal metabolic rate, new standards and review of previous work. Hum Nutr: Clin Nutr 1985; 39 (Suppl):5–41.
21.Harris J, Benedict G. A biometric study of basal metabolism in man. Washington DC: Carnegue Institution, publ. 279, 1919. p. 1–226,
22. Food and Nutrition Board. Recommended Dietary Allowances, 10th Ed. Washington, DC: National Academy of Sciences, Weight Loss in Wrestlers: Conclusions and Recommendations 1989.p. 24-37, 65, 66.
23. Akın G, Koca Özer B, Gültekin T. Yaşlılarda duruş, denge ve yürüme, II. Ulusal Yaşlılık Kongresi (9-12 Nisan), Pamukkale Üniversitesi, Denizli 2003.
24. Himes HJ. Anthropometric Assessment of Nutritional Status, A.John Wiley and Sons Inc. Publication, New York, USA 1991.
25. Yarar H, Türkyılmaz R, Eroğlu H, Kurt S, Eskici, G. Elit Güreşçilerin Kilo Düşme Profillerinin Belirlenmesi Atabesbd 2017; 19(4): 52-63.
26. Farhan H, Amirsasan R, Mahdavi B. The comparis on methods and effect of Rapid weight loss between elite Teen free style and Greco-Roman wrestlers. Bull. Env. Pharmacol. Life Sci 2014; 3(Special Issue II): 441-445.
27. Açıkada C, Ergen E, Alpar R, Sarpyener K. Erkek Sporcularda Vücut Kompozisyonu Parametrelerinin İn¬celenmesi, Spor Bilimleri Dergisi 1991; 2(2): 1-25.
28. Arabacı R. Güreşçilere Uygulanan Antrenman Programının Bazı Fiziksel ve Fizyolojik Özellikler Üzerine Etkisi, 7.Uluslararası Spor Bilimleri Kongresi, Antalya 2002.
29. Güneş Z. Spor ve Beslenme, Antrenör ve Sporcu El Kitabı, Nobel Yayınevi, Ankara 2005.