Main Article Content
Sesame Cake Flour, Doughnuts, Supplementation, Quality, Physicochemical Attributes
This study evaluated the quality of doughnuts prepared by using sesame cake flour fortified with micronutrient premix (comprising Fe, Zn, vitamin A, C and folic acid). Doughnuts developed with sesame cake flours (0, 10 and 20%) were analyzed for nutrient composition, mineral profile, physical properties, calorific value and storage stability. It was evident from results that supplementation with 20% sesame cake flour improved the protein (10.20% to 24.85%) and ash content. However, substantial decrease was noticed for carbohydrates. Similarly, mineral contents (P, Ca and Mg) also increased with increasing supplementation level of sesame cake flour. Likewise, increasing trend was observed for physical properties like hardness, cohesiveness and chewiness. Calories were also raised from 350.07±3.47 to 394.00±7.12Kcal/100g. Color analysis showed that L* values decreased as darker (brown) color was observed in doughnuts due to caramelization reaction between the amino acids and sugars with the addition of sesame cake flour. Storage analyses also showed significant differences between 100% wheat doughnuts and sesame cake flour supplemented samples regarding Peroxide value, Thiobarbituric Acid Number and Mold growth. It was concluded that 20% supplementation of wheat flour with sesame cake flour produced doughnuts with superior quality and better overall acceptability.
1. WHO. Reducing Risks and Promoting Healthy Life: An overview. World Health Report. 2002; Geneva, Switzerland.
2. Black RE, Victora CG, Walker SP, Bhutta ZA, Christian P, de Onis M, Ezzati M, Grantham-McGregoe S, Katz J, Martorell R, Uauy, R. Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet. 2013; 382: 427 451.
3. Shakeel M, Abdullah M, Akhtar MN, Nasir M. Nutritional improvement and value addition of buffalo milk kurut with soya protein isolate. Pak. J. Zool. Suppl. 2009; 9: 389 395.
4. WHO. Global Prevalence of Vitamin A Deficiency In Populations At Risk 1995-2005. World Health Organization Global Database on VAD. 2009; Geneva, Switzerland.
5. Allen L, de Benoist B, Dary O, Hurrell R. Guidelines on Food Fortification with Micronutrients. World Health Organization (WHO) and Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), 2006; Geneva, Switzerland.
6. WHO. Iron Deficiency Anemia: Assessment, Prevention and Control: A Guide for Program Managers. 2001; Geneva, Switzerland.
7. Mannar MG, Sankar R. Micronutrient fortification of foods-rationale, application and impact. Indian J. Pediatr. 2004; 71: 997-1002.
8. Akhtar S, Anjum FM, Anjum MA. Micronutrient fortification of wheat flour: Recent development and strategies. Food Res. Int. 2011; 44: 652-659.
9. Lynch SR. The impact of iron fortification on nutritional anaemia. Best Pract. Res. Clin. Haematol. 2005; 18: 333-346.
10. Radha C, Kumar PR, Prakash, V. Preparation and characterization of a protein hydrolysis from an oilseed flour mixture. Food Chem. 2007; 106: 1166-1174.
11. Kanu PJ. Biochemical analysis of black and white sesame seeds from China. Am. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2011; 1: 145-157.
12. Nzikou JM, Matos L, Bouanga-Kalou G, Ndangui C.B, Pambou-Tobi NPG, Kimbonguila A, Silou T, Linder M, Desobry S. Chemical composition on the seeds and oil of sesame (Sesamum indicumL.) grown in Congo-Brazzaville. Adv. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2009; 1: 6-11.
13. GOP. Economic Survey 2017-18. Government of Pakistan, Economic Advisor Wing, Finance Division, 2018; Islamabad, Pakistan.
14. Abril AP, Sandez OR, Baranzini ALR, Quintanar RLV, Garcia MGS. Relationships between chemical composition and quality related characteristics in bread making with wheat flour-fine bran blends. J. Food Quality. 2015; 38: 30-39.
15. Estevez AM, Escobar B, Ugarte V. Use of mesquite cotyledon (Prosopischilensis) in the manufacturing of cereal bars. Arch. Latin Nutr. 2000; 50: 148-151.
16. Oke, EK, Tijani AO, Abiola OT, Adeoye AK, Odumosu, BO. Effects of partial substitution of wheat flour with breadfruit on quality attributes of fried doughnut. J. Agric. Sci. 2018; 13: 72-80.
17. Nsabimana P, Powers JR, Chew B, Mattinson S, Baik BK. Effects of deep-fat frying temperature on antioxidant properties of whole wheat doughnuts. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2018; 53: 665–675.
18. AACC. Approved methods of American association of cereal chemists, American Association of cereal chemist, (10th ed.) 2000; Inc St. Paul MN, USA.
19. AOAC. Official methods of analysis. The Association of official analytical Chemists (20th ed.) 2016; Arlington, VA, USA.
20. Mazumder P, Roopa BS, Bhattacharya S. Textural attributes of a model snack food at different moisture contents. J. Food Eng. 2007; 79: 511-516.
21. Sharif MK, Rizvi SSH, Paraman I. Characterization of supercritical fluid extrusion processed rice soy crisps fortified with micronutrients and soy protein. Food Sci. Technol. 2014; 56: 414-420.
22. Krishna G, Ranjhan SK. Gross energy value of herbage, feces, urine, milk, meat and silage. In: Laboratory Manual for Nutrition Research. 1981. Vikas Publishing House (Pvt.) Ltd. Delhi, India.
23. Kirk, S.R. and R. Sawyer. 1991. Person’s Composition Analysis of Food. AWL Harlow, England.
24. Steel RGD, Torrie JH Dickey DA. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach, (3rd ed.) 1997; McGraw Hill Book Co. Inc, NY, USA.
25. Echendu CA. Nutritional value of processed and raw food thickeners commonly used in Southeastern Nigeria. Afr. J. Sci. 2004; 5: 1107-1121.
26. Mepba HD, Eboh L, Nwaojigwa SU. Chemical composition, functional and baking properties of wheat-plantain composite flours. Afr. J. Food Agri. Nutr. Develop. 2007; 7: 1-22.
27. Zaib-un-Nisa MS. Thesis. Effect of Flaxseed Supplementation on Chemical Properties of Biscuits, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad,Pakistan. 2004.
28. Altan A, McCarthy KL, Maskan M. Evaluation of snack foods from barley tomato pomace blends by extrusion processing. J. Food Engr. 2008; 84: 231-242.
29. Ratanatriwong P, Barringer S. Particle size, cohesiveness and charging effects on electrostatic and non-electrostatic powder coating. J. Electro. 2007; 65: 704-708.
30. Sirrichokworrakit S, Intasen P, Angkawut C. Quality of donuts supplemented with Hom Nin rice flour. Int. J. Nutr. Food Engr. 2016; 10: 1307-6892.
31. Bourne MC. 2002. Food Texture and Viscosity, Academic Press, San Diego. USA.
32. Shih FF, Daigle KW, Clawson EL. Development of low oil uptake donuts. J. Food Engr. Phy. Proper. 2001; 66: 141-144.
33. Budryn G, Zyzelewicz D, Nebesny E, Oracz J, Krysiak W. Influence of addition of green tea and green coffee extracts on the properties of fine yeast pastry fried products. J. Food Res. Int. 2013; 50: 149-160.
34. Xiaonan S, Yan Z, Weibiao Z. Bread fortified with anthocyanin-rich extract from black rice as nutraceutical sources and its quality attributes and in-vitro digestibility. J. Food Chem. 2016; 196: 910-916.
35. Paraman I, Wagner ME Rizvi SSH. Micronutrient and protein fortified whole grain puffed rice made by supercritical fluid extrusion. J. Agri. Food Chem. 2012. 60: 11188- 11194.
36. Mohamed E, Souhail B, Olivier R, Christophe B, Hamadi A. Quality characteristics of sesame seeds and by-products. J. Food Chem. 2007; 103: 641-650.
37. Makinde FM, Akinoso R. Nutrient composition and effect of processing treatments on anti-nutritional factors of Nigerian sesame (SesamumindicumL.) cultivars. Int. Food Res. J. 2013; 20: 2293-2300.
38. Tiwari U, Gunasekaran MA, Jaganmohan R, Alagusundaram K, Tiwari BK. Quality characteristics and shelf studies of deep-fied snack prepared from rice broken and legumes by-product. Food Bioproc. Technol. 2011; 7: 1172-1178.
39. Jakubczyk E, Marzee A, Lewicki PP. Relationship properties between water activity of crisp bread and its mechanical properties and structure. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci. 2008; 58: 45-51.
40. Srinivasan K. Role of spices beyond food flavoring: Nutraceauticals with multiple health effects. Food Rev. Int. 2005; 21: 167-188.
41. Hafez AA. Physicochemical and sensory properties of cakes supplemented with different concentration of marjoram. Aus. J. Appl. Sci. 2012; 6: 463-470.
42. Al-Hooti S, Sidhu JS, Al-Otaibi J, Al-Ameeri H, Qabazard H. Cereal and nuts bars fortified with almonds, sesame seeds, oat flakes and skim milk powder. J. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 1997. 51: 125-135.