Main Article Content
clinoptilolite, cancer, autophagy, apoptosis, antioxidant
Aim: Zeolites are tectosilicates which appear as minerals in nature and can also be synthesized in the
laboratory conditions. Clinoptilolite is a natural zeolite which has ion exchanging and adsorbent characteristics. We have aimed to display the effect of clinoptilolite to apoptotic, autophagic and antioxidant characteristics of cancercell lines under oxidative stress conditions. Material and Methods: The cytotoxicity of clinoptilolite was evaluated using the MTT assay. The total antioxidant status was measured by the total antioxidant status (TAS) detection kit. The western blotting analysis was performed in order to assess the protein expression levels of the apoptosis and to autophagy markers like Beclin1, Bcl-2 and LC3B. Results: 24 hours incubation of cancer cells with clinoptilolite reduced cell proliferation in a dose dependent manner. Clinoptilolite lowered the autophagy in cancer cells, in particular, directing the cells towards apoptosis and leading to a fall in the TAS levels. Clinoptilolite to cause a decrease in antioxidant defence. Discussion: Parallel to these findings, it has been seen that there was an increase in apoptosis and a decrease in autophagy in cells induced with hydrogen peroxide effect. In this study, clinoptilolite was shown to cause a decrease in antioxidant defense.
1. Barrer RM. Zeolites and clay minerals as sorbents and molecular sieve. Academic Press 1978; London, New York
2. Laurino C, Palmieri B. Zeolite: "The magic stone"; Main nutritional, environmental, experimental and clinical fields of application. Nutr. Hosp. 2015; 32(2): 573-81.
3. Bacakova L, Vandrovcova M, Kopova I, Jirka I. Applications of zeolites in biotechnology and medicine. Biomaterials Science 2018; 6: 974-989.
4. Kontogiannidoua E, Karavasilia C, Kouskoura M G, Filippousic M, Tendeloo G V, I.Andreadis I I. Eleftheriadisa G K, Kontopoulou I, Catherine K.Markopoulou K M, Bouropoulos N, Fatouros D G. In vitro and ex vivo assessment of microporous Faujasite zeolite (NaX-FAU) as a carrier for the oral delivery of danazol. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 2019; 51: 177-184
5. Pavelic K, Subotic B, Colic M. Biomedical application of zeolites. Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis 2001; 135: 170
6. Mastinu A, Kumar A, Maccarinelli G, Bonini SA, Premoli M, Aria F, Gianoncelli A, and Memo M. Zeolite Clinoptilolite: Therapeutic Virtues of an Ancient Mineral. Molecules 2019; 24(8): 1517
7. Hotta M, Nakayima H, Yamamoto K, Aono M. Antibacterial temporary filling materials: the effect of adding various ratios of Ag‐Zn‐Zeolite. J. of Oral Rehab. 1998; 25: 485
8. Dyer A, Morgan S, Wells P, Williams C. The use of zeolites as slow release anthelmintic carriers. Journal of Helminthology 2000; 74 (2): 137-141…
9. Liu B, Yan F, Kong J, Deng J. A reagentless amperometric biosensor based on the coimmobilization of horseradish peroxidase and methylene green in a modified zeolite matrixAnal. Chim. Acta 1999; 386: 31
10. McGhee JR, Fujihashi K. Inside the Mucosal Immune System. PLoS Biol. 2012; 10, e1001397.
11. Vilaca N, Amorim R, Machado AF, Parpot P, Pereira MF, et al. Potentiation of 5-fluorouracil encapsulated in zeolites as drug delivery systems for in vitro models of colorectal carcinoma. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2013; 112: 237-244
12. Katic M, Bosnjak B, Gall-Troselj K, Dikic I, Pavelic K. A clinoptilolite effect on cell media and the consequent effects on tumor cells in vitro. Front Biosci. 2006; 11: 1722-32
13. Saribeyoglu K, Aytac E, Pekmezci S, Saygili S, Uzun H, et al. Effects of clinoptilolite treatment on oxidative stress after partial hepatectomy in rats. Asian J. Surg. 2011; 34(4): 153–157
14. Su Z, Yang Z, Xu Y, Chen Y and Su QY et al. Apoptosis, autophagy, necroptosis, and cancer metastasis. Molecular Cancer 2015; 14:48
15. Wong RSY. Apoptosis in cancer: from pathogenesis to treatment. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 30(1): 87
16. Levy JMM, Towers CG, Thorburn A. Targeting autophagy in cancer. Nat Rev Cancer. 2017; 17(9): 528-542
17. Yun CW, and Lee SH. The Roles of Autophagy in Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19(11): 3466.
18. Su M, Mei Y, Sinha S.Role of the Crosstalk between Autophagy and Apoptosis in Cancer. Journal of Oncology 2013; 2013:102735.
19. Reuter S, Gupta SC, Chaturvedi MM, Aggarwal BB. Oxidative stress, inflammation, and cancer: How are they linked? Free Radic Biol Med. 2010; 49(11): 1603–1616
20. Akyol S, Yükselten Y, Çakmak Ç Ö, Uğurcu V, Altuntaş A, Gürler M, Akyol O, Demircan K. Hydrogen Peroxide-Induced Oxidative Damage in Human Chondrocytes: The Prophylactic Effects of Hypericum Perforatum Linn Extract on Deoxyribonucleic Acid Damage, Apoptosis and Matrix Remodeling by a Disintegrin-Like and Metalloproteinase With Thrombospondin Motifs Proteinases. Arch Rheumatol 2014;29(3): 203-214
21. Ricci MS, Zong WX. Chemotherapeutic Approaches for Targeting Cell Death Pathways. Oncologist 2006; 11(4): 342-57
22. Alles A, Alley K, Barrett JC. Buttyan R, Columbano A, et al Apoptosis: a general comment. FASEB J. 1991; 5: 2127-8
23. Herrmann M, Kalden JR. Apoptosis and autoimmunity. Wiley-Vch Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Institute for Clinical Immunology. 2003; Weinheim, Germany
24. Gozuacik D, Kimchi A. Autophagy as a cell death and tumor suppressor mechanism. Oncogene 2004; 23: 2891–2906
25. Choi KS. Autophagy and cancer. Experımental And Molecular Medıcıne 2012; 29; 44(2): 109-20
26. Yapislar H, Taskin E, Ozdas S, Akin D, Sonmez E. Counteraction of Apoptotic and Inflammatory Effects of Adriamycin in the Liver Cell Culture by Clinopitolite. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2016; 170(2): 373-81
27. Haanen C, Vermes I. Apoptosis and inflammation. Mediators of Inflammation 1995; 4(1): 5-15
28. Oka T. Hikoso S, Yamaguchi O, Taneike M, Takeda T, et al. Mitochondrial DNA That Escapes from Autophagy Causes Inflammation and Heart Failure. Nature 2012; 485(7397), 251–255
29. Toledano-Magaña Y, Flores-Santos L, Montes de Oca G, González-Montiel A, Laclette JP, Carrero JC. Effect of Clinoptilolite and Sepiolite Nanoclays on Human and Parasitic Highly Phagocytic Cells. Biomed Res Int. 2015; 164980
30. Delou JMA, Bıasolı D, Borges HL. The Complex Link between Apoptosis and Autophagy: a Promising New Role for RB. Annals of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences 2016; 88(4): 2257-2275
31. Saitoh Y, Ouchida R, Kayasuga A, Miwa N. Anti-Apoptotic Defense of bcl-2 Gene Against Hydroperoxide-Induced Cytotoxicity Together With Suppressed Lipid Peroxidation, Enhanced Ascorbate Uptake, and Upregulated Bcl-2 Protein. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 2003; 89: 321–334