Main Article Content
Encapsulation, Yoghurt, Propolis, Functional food
Yoghurt, a functional food, has been gained much attention on its production and consumption in the world. It is a fermented dairy product that contains lots of nutrional components. Some manufacturers have used some additives to extend the shelf life of yoghurt. Propolis could be alternative food additive instead of synthetic ones. Propolis is a resinous mixture collected by honeybees for hive protection. In this study functional yoghurt fortified with microencapsulated propolis was prepared. Ethanol extract of propolis was encapsulated by using sodium alginate, pectin and gelatin separately. The effect of microencapsulated propolis on physicochemical characteristics and microbial quality of yoghurts was tested. Especially the effect of propolis on unwanted microorganisms during storage was studied. Our results clearly showed that fortified yoghurt samples were better in terms of microbial quality during storage. It could be concluded that propolis could be a natural preservative for extending the shelf life of yoghurt.
1. Chen, C., Zhao, S., Hao, G., Yu, H., Tian, H., & Zhao, G. (2017). Role of lactic acid bacteria on the yogurt flavour: A review. International journal of food properties, 20(sup1), S316-S330.
2. El-Kholy, W. M., Soliman, T. N., & Darwish, A. M. G. (2019). Evaluation of date palm pollen (Phoenix dactylifera L.) encapsulation, impact on the nutritional and functional properties of fortified yoghurt. PLoS One, 14(10), e0222789.
3. Das, K., Choudhary, R., & Thompson-Witrick, K. A. (2019). Effects of new technology on the current manufacturing process of yogurt-to increase the overall marketability of yogurt. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 108, 69-80.
4. Gahruie, H. H., Eskandari, M. H., Mesbahi, G., & Hanifpour, M. A. (2015). Scientific and technical aspects of yogurt fortification: A review. Food Science and Human Wellness, 4(1), 1-8.
5. Plessas, S., Bosnea, L., Alexopoulos, A., & Bezirtzoglou, E. (2012). Potential effects of probiotics in cheese and yogurt production: A review. Engineering in Life Sciences, 12(4), 433-440.
6. Ahn, M. R., Kumazawa, S., Usui, Y., Nakamura, J., Matsuka, M., Zhu, F., & Nakayama, T. (2007). Antioxidant activity and constituents of propolis collected in various areas of China. Food Chemistry, 101(4), 1383-1392.
7. Li, F., Awale, S., Tezuka, Y., & Kadota, S. (2008). Cytotoxic constituents from Brazilian red propolis and their structure–activity relationship. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 16(10), 5434-5440.
8. Santos, M. S., Estevinho, M. L. M. F., de Carvalho, C. A. L., Magalhães-Guedes, K. T., Schwan, R. F., & de Castro Almeida, R. C. (2018). Propolis as natural additive: A systematic review. African Journal of Biotechnology, 17(41), 1282-1291.
9. Nori, M. P., Favaro-Trindade, C. S., de Alencar, S. M., Thomazini, M., de Camargo Balieiro, J. C., & Castillo, C. J. C. (2011). Microencapsulation of propolis extract by complex coacervation. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 44(2), 429-435.
10. Keskin, M., Keskin, Ş., & Kolayli, S. (2018). Alginat-Propolis Mikrokapsüllerin in vitro Sindirim Sisteminde Salınımının Ham Propolis ile Kıyaslanması. Uludag Bee Journal, 18(2).
11. Eghbal, N., & Choudhary, R. (2018). Complex coacervation: Encapsulation and controlled release of active agents in food systems. Lwt, 90, 254-264.
12. Keskin, Ş., Trusheva, B., Keskin, M., Popova, M., Kolaylı, S., & Bankova, V. (2020). Pollen Beads: A New Carrier for Propolis Active Compounds. Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening.
13. Keskin, M., Keskin, Ş., & Kolayli, S. (2019). Preparation of alcohol free propolis-alginate microcapsules, characterization and release property. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 108, 89-96.
14. Keskin, Ş., Keskin, M., & Kolayli, S. (2018). Encapsulation of Propolis Ethanol Extract on Gelatin. 6th International Muğla Beekeeping and Pine Honey Congress, 15-19 October 2018 Muğla – Turkey, pp 318-321, e-ISBN: 978-605-66673-2-9.
15. AOAC. (2002). Official method 2000.18. Title: Fat Content of Raw and Pasteurized Whole Milk - Gerber Method by Weight
16. ISO 8968-1/ IDF 020-1 (2014). Milk and milk products- Determination of nitrogen content- Part 1: Kjeldahl principle and crude protein calculation.
17. ISO 6731 (2010). Milk, cream and evaporated milk- Determination of total solids content (Reference method)
18. AOAC. (2000). Official method 945.46, Ash of milk. Gravimetric method
19. Charteris, W. P., Kelly, P. M., Morelli, L., & Collins, J. K. (1998). Development and application of an in vitro methodology to determine the transit tolerance of potentially probiotic Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species in the upper human gastrointestinal tract. Journal of applied microbiology, 84(5), 759-768.
20. Kesmen, Z., & Kacmaz, N. (2011). Determination of lactic microflora of kefir grains and kefir beverage by using culture‐dependent and culture‐independent methods. Journal of food science, 76(5), M276-M283.
21. ISO 4832 (2006). Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs- Horizontal method for the enumeration of coliforms- Colony-count technique
22. ISO 6611 (2004). [IDF 94:2004] Milk and milk products- Enumeration of colony-forming units of yeasts and/or moulds- Colony-count technique at 25 degrees C
23. ISO 21871 (2006). Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs- Horizontal method for the determination of low numbers of presumptive Bacillus cereus- Most probable number technique and detection method.
24. ISO 6888-1 (1999). Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs-Horizontal method for the enumeration of coagulase-positive staphylococci (Staphylococcus aureus and other species)- Part 1: Technique using Baird-Parker agar medium.
25. ISO 6579-1 (2003). Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs-Horizontal method for the detection of Salmonella spp.
26. Lee, W. J., & Lucey, J. A. (2010). Formation and physical properties of yogurt. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, 23(9), 1127-1136.
27. Bchir, B., Felfoul, I., Bouaziz, M. A., Gharred, T., Yaich, H., Noumi, E., ... & Attia, H. (2019). Investigation of physicochemical, nutritional, textural, and sensory properties of yoghurt fortified with fresh and dried Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis). International Food Research Journal, 26(5).
28. Hanou, S., Boukhemis, M., Benatallah, L., Djeghri, B., & Zidoune, M. N. (2016). Effect of Ginger Powder Addition on Fermentation Kinetics, Rheological Properties and Bacterial Viability of Dromedary Yogurt. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology, 10(9), 667-673.
29. Sodini, I., Remeuf, F., Haddad, S., & Corrieu, G. (2004). The relative effect of milk base, starter, and process on yogurt texture: a review. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 44(2), 113-137.
30. Farnsworth, J. P., Li, J., Hendricks, G. M., & Guo, M. R. (2006). Effects of transglutaminase treatment on functional properties and probiotic culture survivability of goat milk yogurt. Small Ruminant Research, 65(1-2), 113-121.
31. Tayar, M., Şen, C., & Güneş, E. (1995). The Study on Some Stabilizers in Yoghurt Production (Turkish with English Abstract). GIDA/THE JOURNAL OF FOOD; Cilt: 20 Sayı: 2.
32. Lee, Y. K., Al Mijan, M., Ganesan, P., Yoo, S., & Kwak, H. S. (2013). The physicochemical properties of yoghurt supplemented with microencapsulated peanut sprout extract, a possible functional ingredient. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 66(3), 417-423.
33. De Brabandere, A. G., & De Baerdemaeker, J. G. (1999). Effects of process conditions on the pH development during yogurt fermentation. Journal of food engineering, 41(3-4), 221-227.
34. Seo, M. H., Lee, S. Y., Chang, Y. H., & Kwak, H. S. (2009). Physicochemical, microbial, and sensory properties of yogurt supplemented with nanopowdered chitosan during storage. Journal of dairy science, 92(12), 5907-5916.
35. Tarakci, Z. (2010). Influence of kiwi marmalade on the rheology characteristics, color values and sensorial acceptability of fruit yogurt. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg, 16(2), 173-178.
36. Mohammadi-Gouraji, E., Soleimanian-Zad, S., & Ghiaci, M. (2019). Phycocyanin-enriched yogurt and its antibacterial and physicochemical properties during 21 days of storage. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 102, 230-236.
37. Kumar, P., & Mishra, H. N. (2004). Mango soy fortified set yoghurt: effect of stabilizer addition on physicochemical, sensory and textural properties. Food Chemistry, 87(4), 501-507.
38. Oroian, M. A., Escriche, I., & Gheorghe, G. U. T. T. (2017). Rheological, textural, color and physico-chemical properties of some yogurt products from the Spanish market. Food and Environment Safety Journal, 10(2).
39. Çayır, M. S. (2007). Some properties of apricot added yogurt produced by using probiotic culture.
40. Damian, C. (2013). Influence of dietary fiber addition on some properties of yoghurt. Ovidius University Annals of Chemistry, 24(1), 17-20.
41. Birollo, G. A., Reinheimer, J. A., & Vinderola, C. G. (2000). Viability of lactic acid microflora in different types of yoghurt. Food Research International, 33(9), 799-805.
42. Arioui, F., Ait Saada, D., & Cheriguene, A. (2017). Physicochemical and sensory quality of yogurt incorporated with pectin from peel of Citrus sinensis. Food science & nutrition, 5(2), 358-364.
43. Santos, M. S., Estevinho, L. M., Carvalho, C. A. L., Morais, J. S., Conceição, A. L. S., Paula, V. B., & Almeida, R. C. (2019). Probiotic Yogurt with Brazilian Red Propolis: Physicochemical and Bioactive Properties, Stability, and Shelf Life. Journal of Food Science, 84(12), 3429-3436.
44. El-Deeb, A. M. (2017). Utilization of Propolis Extract as A Natural Preservative in Raw Milk. Journal of Food and Dairy Sciences, 8(8), 315-321.
45. Shahbaz, M. (2015). Characterization of Honey Bee by Product; Propolis as an Antimicrobial and Nutraceutical Agent in Food Applications (Doctoral dissertation, University of Karachi, Karachi).
46. Güney, F., & Yılmaz, M. (2013). Propolisin kimyasal içeriği ile antibakteriyel, antiviral, antitümör, antifungal ve antioksidan aktivitesi. Arıcılık Araştırma Dergisi, 10, 25-28.
47. Jian-xin, G., Zhao-yun, L., Xue, L., Long, H., Xiao, J. Z., & Ni, X. S. (2008). Comparison Of Bacteriostatic Property Of Propolis With Three Chemical Preservatives. Chinese Journal of Disinfection, 3.
48. Yang, F. L., Dang, Y. G., & Zhu, Y. N. (2009). Research on the preservative effect of propolis on yogurt. Journal of Shaanxi University of Science & Technology (Natural Science Edition), 6(10).
49. Moh, L. G., Keilah, L. P., Etienne, P. T., & Jules-Roger, K. (2017). Seasonal microbial conditions of locally made yoghurt (Shalom) marketed in some regions of cameroon. International journal of food science, 2017.
50. Martin, N. H., Trmčić, A., Hsieh, T. H., Boor, K. J., & Wiedmann, M. (2016). The evolving role of coliforms as indicators of unhygienic processing conditions in dairy foods. Frontiers in microbiology, 7, 1549.
51. Gao, J. X., Chen, H. Y., & Lu, Z. Y. (2011). The Influence of Propolis on Bifidobacteria And Lactobacillus in Yogurt. Chinese Journal of Disinfection, (2), 21.
52. Oyeleke, S. B. (2009). Microbial assessment of some commercially prepared yoghurt retailed in Minna, Niger State. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 3(5), 245-248.
53. Tavşanli, H., & Gökmen, M. (2020). Balıkesir ilinde semt pazarlarında satışa sunulan yoğurtların fiziko-kimyasal ve mikrobiyolojik kalitesinin araştırılması. Balıkesir Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü Dergisi, 22(1), 318-326.
54. Turkish Food Codex (TGK) (2009). Fermented milk products notification No: 2009/25. Number: 27143 Ankara-Turkey.
55. Güney, F. (2016). Bazı propolis özütlerinin meyveli yoğurtların biyokimyasal, fizikokimyasal ve raf ömrü üzerine etkilerinin araştırılması (Master's thesis, Ordu Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü).
56. Yi-yang, S. 2005. Research on the fresh-keeping effect of Propolis extracted by alcohol on dairy produce. China Dairy Industry, 04:42-43.
57. El-Deeb, A. M., & Omar, S. A. (2017). Effect of Propolis Extract as a Natural Preservative on the Microbial Content of Kareish Cheese. Journal of Food and Dairy Sciences, 8(7), 295-302.
58. Erginkaya, Z., Güven, M., Var Öngel, I., Kabak, B., Karaca, O. B. , & Canan, K., (2003). Farklı Laktik Asit Kültürleriyle Üretilen Yoğurtlarda Laktik Asit Bakterilerinin Aspergillus Flavus Üzerine Antifungal Etkisi. Gıda Mühendisliği Dergisi , no.15.
59. Gajger, I. T., Pavlović, I., Bojić, M., Kosalec, I., Srečec, S., Vlainić, T., & Vlainić, J. (2017). The Components Responsible for the Antimicrobial Activity of Propolis from Continental and Mediterranean Regions in Croatia. Czech Journal of Food Science, 35(5).
60. Ertem, H., & Çakmakçı, S. (2018). Shelf life and quality of probiotic yogurt produced with Lactobacillus acidophilus and Gobdin. International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 53(3), 776-783.