Main Article Content
football, match analysis, goal, scoring patterns, 5 Biggest Football Leagues of Europe, Turkish Super League
This study aims to examine some basic football-specific variables (goals scored, attack time resulting in a goal, the average number of passes before the goal, the penalty with the goal, shot finishing a goal, total number of corner kicks, ball possession) in the leagues of the countries ranked in the top 5 in Europe according to the TSL and UEFA rankings. It is the comparative analysis by looking at the match statistics. Data of all matches played by the top 3 teams in Turkish Super Lig (TSL), Spanish La Liga (SLL), English Premier League (EPL), Italian Serie A (ISA), German Bundesliga (GB), and French Ligue 1 (FL1) in 3 seasons (2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018). It has been evaluated separately. Parameters such as pass, shooting, ball possession, defense, and attack are vital in determining the winning teams in football. It has been found that TSL teams are behind the teams in the leagues of the top five countries in Europe in realizing the basic parameters in the football game. It is thought that the inclusion of exercises for the basic parameters of football in the coaches' training programs in the Super League teams will contribute to the development of football. In addition, it can be said that focusing more on the above-mentioned parameters while raising athletes in the infrastructure of the teams in Turkey will positively affect the development of both technical and athlete’s behaviors of football players.
2. Acar M F, Yapıcıoğlu B, Arıkan N, Yalçın S, Ateş N, Ergün M. Analysis of Goals Scored in The2006 World Cup. Science and Football VI, 2009, Chapter 41, 235-242.
3. Koçer M. Determination of Violence and Hooliganism Tendencies of the Fans Members of Football Associations: The case of Kayseri. Erciyes University Journal of Social Sciences Institute, 2012, (32)1, 111-135.
4. Sunay H. Investigation of Football Clubs in Turkey and Some Foreign Countries. 3. National Football Science Congress, Proceedings Book, 2009.
5. Bennett K J, Vaeyens R, Fransen J. Creating A Framework for Talent İdentification and Development in Emerging Football Nations. Science and Medicine in Football, 2019, 3(1), 36-42.
6. Lago I, Lago-Peñas C, Lago‐Peñas S. Decentralization and Football. Social Science Quarterly, 2019, 100(1), 163-175. https://doi.org/10.1111/ssqu.12564.
7. Landmann V. Taxation of professional football players in Europe. Department of Administrative Law of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, UAB School of Law 2019/2020.
8. Bizati Ö. Futbolda dar alan oyunlarının önemi. SPORMETRE Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi. 2016; 14(2): 225-233.
9. Sarmento H, Clemente F, Harper L, Teoldo da Costa I, Owen A, Figueiredo A. Small sided games in soccer – a systematic review, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, DOI: 10.1080/24748668.2018.1517288.
10. Harper DJ, Carling C, & Kiely J. High-intensity acceleration and deceleration demands in elite team sports competitive match play: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Sports Medicine, 2019, 49(12), 1923–1947. https://doi.org/10. 1007/s40279-019-01170-1.
11. Köklü H, Özkan A, Alemderoğlu U, Ersöz G. Comparison of some physical fitness and somatotype features of young football players according to the positions they play. Spormetre Journal of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, 2009, 2, 61-68.
12. Aktaş S. The Effect of Different Recovery Times on Some Physiological Parameters in 3 to 3 Narrow Field Game in Football, Master Thesis, 2013, Selcuk University Institute of Health Sciences.
13. Jones PD, Jame, N & Mellalieu SD. Possession as a performance indicator in soccer. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2004, 4(1), 98–102. https://doi.org/10.1080/ 24748668.2004.11868295.
14. Carling C, Williams A M, Reilly T. Handbook of soccer match analysis: A systematic approach to improving performance. 2005, London: Routledge.
15. Vogelbein M, Nopp S & Hökelmann A. Defensive transition in soccer – are prompt possession regains a measure of success? A quantitative analysis of German Fußball-BundesLeague a 2010/2011, Journal of Sports Sciences, 32:11, 1076-1083, DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2013.879671.
16. Bangsbo J. The physiology of soccer--with special reference to intense intermittent exercise. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica. Supplementum, 1994, 619, 1-155.
17. Maslovat D, Franks IM. The need for feedback. In: Hughes M, Franks IM, editors. The Essentials of Performance Analysis: An Introduction. 2008, London: Routledge, p. 1–7.
18. Laird P & Waters L. Eyewitness recollection of sport coaches. Int. J. Perform. Anal. Sport, 2008, 8, 76–84.
19. Baca A. Computer science in sport: research and practice. Routledge, 2016, ISBN-10: 1138695149.
20. Carling C, Williams AM, Reilly T. Handbook of Soccer Match Analysis: A Systematic Approach to Improving Performance. Routledge. 2005, New York, USA. pp. 164.
21. Tenga A, Holme I, Ronglan LT, Bah, R. Effect of playing tactics on achieving score-box possessions in a random series of team possessions from Norwegian professional soccer matches. Journal of sports sciences. 2010, 28(3), 245–55. 10.1080/02640410903502766.
22. Scoulding A, James N, Taylor J. Passing in the Soccer World Cup 2002. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2004, 4(2), 36–41.
23. Carling C, Bloomfield J, Nelsen L, & Reilly T. The Role of Motion Analysis in Elite Soccer: Contemporary Performance Measurement Techniques and Work Rate Data. Sports Medicine, 2008, 338, 839–862.
24. UEFA. https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020.
25. Aka H. Prediction of Team Ranking in Football with Artificial Neural Networks Model, International Journal of Contemporary Educational Studies (IntJCES), December 2020 : 6 (2), 379-391.
26. Acar MF, Yapicioglu B, Arikan N, Yalcin S, Ates N, Ergun, M. Analysis of goals scored in the 2006 world cup. In T Reilly, F Korkusuz (Eds.), Proceedings of the sixth world congress on science and football, science and football VI (pp. 233–242). London: Routledge; 2009.
27. Armatas V, Yiannakos A, Galazoulas C, & Hatzimanouil D. Goal scoring patterns over the course of a match: Analysis of Women’s high standard soccer matches. Physical Training, 2007, 1(1).
28. Kubayi A. Analysis of Goal Scoring Patterns in the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Journal of Human Kinetics, Volume 71/2020, 205-210 DOI: 10.2478/hukin-2019-0084.
29. Bangsbo J. Physiological Demands of Football. Sports Science Exchange, 2014, Vol. 27, No. 125, 1-6,
30. Reilly T. Motion analysis and physiological demands. In Science and Football III (Eds Reilly, T., Bangsbo, J., Hughes.) E. & F. Spon, 1996, London, pp. 65-81.
31. Abt GA, Dickson G, Mummery WK. Goal scoring patterns over the course of a match: An analysis of the Australian National Soccer League. In Science and Football IV (Eds Spinks, W., Reilly, T., Murphy, A.) 2002, Routledge London, pp 107-111.
32. Mitrotasiosa M, Gonzalez-Rodenas J, Armatasa V and Aranda R. The creation of goal scoring opportunities in professional soccer. Tactical differences between SLL, EPL, GB and ISA. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2019, Vol. 19, No. 3, 452–465, doi.org/10.1080/24748668.2019.1618568.
33. Cooper D & Pulling C. The impact of ball recovery type, location of ball recovery and duration of possession on the outcomes of possessions in the EPL and the SLL. Science and Medicine In Football, 2020, Vol. 4, No. 3, 196–202, doi.org/10.1080/24733938.2020.1722319.
34. Lago-Penas C, Lago-Ballesteros J, Dellal A, & Gomez M. Game-Related statistics that discriminated winning, drawing and losing teams from the Spanish soccer league. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 2010, 9, 288–293.
35. Liu H, Gómez MA, Gonçalves B & Sampaio J. Technical performance and match-to-match variation in elite football teams, Journal of Sports Sciences, 2016, 34:6, 509-518, doi: 10.1080/02640414.2015.1117121
36. Redwood-Brown A. Passing patterns before and after goal scoring in FA Premier League Soccer, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2008, 8:3, 172-182, doi: 10.1080/24748668.2008.11868458
37. Cintia P, Pappalardo L, Pedreschi D, Giannotti F & Malvaldi M. The harsh rule of the goals: Data-driven performance indicators for football teams. InData Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA), 2015. 36678 2015. IEEE International Conference on (pp. 1–10).
38. Rein R, Raabe D, Memmert D. “Which pass is better?” Novel approaches to assess passing effectiveness in elite soccer. Human Movement Science, Volume 55, October 2017, Pages 172-181, doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2017.07.010.
39. Almeida CH, Volossovitch A, & Duarte R. Penalty kick outcomes in UEFA club competitions (2010 to 2015): The roles of situational, individual and performance factors. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2016, 16(2), 508–522. https://doi.org/10. 1080/24748668.2016.11868905
40. Göral K. FIFA U-20 world cup 2013: analysis and evaluation of goals scored. RBFF Brazilian Magazine of Futsal and Football, 2016, 8(28), 29–38.
41. Fariña R A, Fábrica G, Tambusso P S, & Alonso R. Taking the goalkeeper’s side in association football penalty kicks. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2013, 13(1), 96–109. doi.org/10.1080/24748668.2013.11868634
42. Bar-Eli M & Azar OH. Penalty kicks in soccer: An empirical analysis of shooting strategies and goalkeepers’ preferences. Soccer and Society, 2009, 10(2), 183–191. doi.org/10.1080/14660970802601654
43. Horn M, Waal S & Kraak W. In-match penalty kick analysis of the 2009/10 to 2018/19 English Premier League competition. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2020, 21:1, 139-155, DOI: 10.1080/24748668.2020.1855052
44. Rathke A. An examination of expected goals and shot efficiency in soccer. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise, 2017,12(2proc), S514-S529. doi:https://doi.org/10.14198/jhse.2017.12.Proc2.05
45. Holienka M, Nagy N, Baša R, Babic M. Relationship between the shooting success rate and match result in soccer at the FIFA World Cup 2018. Journal of Physical Education and Sport (JPES), 2020, Vol.20 (3), Art 208, pp. 1513 – 1521.
46. Gonzalez-Rodenas J, Mitrotasios M, Aranda R & Armatas V. Combined effects of tactical, technical and contextual factors on shooting effectiveness in European professional soccer, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2020, 20:2, 280-293, DOI: 10.1080/24748668.2020.1743163
47. Bush M, Barnes C, Archer DT, Hogg B, & Bradley PS. Evolution of match performance parameters for various playing positions in the English Premier League. Human Movement Science, 2015, 39(1), 1–11, DOI:10.1016/j.humov.2014.10.003
48. Gonzalez-Rodenas J, Lopez-Bondia I, Calabuig F, Pérez-Turpin JA, &Aranda R. Creation of goal scoring opportunities by means of different types of offensive actions in US Major league soccer. Human Movement, 2017, 18(5), 106–116, DOI:10.5114/HM.2017.73616
49. Holienka M, Nagy N, Baša R, Babic M. Relationship between the shooting success rate and match result in soccer at the FIFA World Cup 2018, Journal of Physical Education and Sport (JPES), 2020, Vol.20 (3), Art 208, 1513 - 1521, DOI:10.7752/jpes.2020.03208
50. Lago-Peñas C, Lago-Ballesteros J. Game location and team quality effects on performance profiles in professional soccer. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 2011; 10(3):465-471.
51. 51 Liu H, Gomez MÁ, Lago-Peñas C, Sampaio J. Match statistics related to winning in the group stage of 2014 Brazil FIFA World Cup. Journal of sports sciences. 2015; 33(12):1205–13.
52. Yue Z, Broich H, Mester J. Statistical analysis for the soccer matches of the first BundesLeague a. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 2014, 9(3), 553-560. doi.org/10.1260/1747-95126.96.36.1993.
53. Li C and Zhao Y. Comparison of Goal Scoring Patterns in “The Big Five” European Football Leagues. Front. Psychol. 11:619304, DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2020.619304
54. Kubayi A and Larkin P. Analysis of teams’ corner kick defensive strategies at the FIFA World Cup 2018. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 19:5, 809-819, DOI: 10.1080/24748668.2019.1660547
55. Penas LC, Dellal A. Ball possession strategies in elite soccer according to the evolution of the match-score: the ınfluence of situational variables. Journal of Human Kinetics. 2010, 25(1):93-100.