Nutrition Knowledge Scale (NKS): Development, Factor Structure, and Validation for Healthy Adults
Main Article Content
Nutrition knowledge, scale, factor structure, reliability, validity
Objective: Valid and reliable scales are required to determine and evaluate nutritional knowledge. This research aims to develop the nutrition knowledge scale for adults and to examine the factor structure, validity, and reliability. Methods: Initially, the Nutrition Knowledge Scale (NKS) was constituted, paying attention to content and construct validity. The content validity index (CVI) was found as 0.884. Five hundred eighty-five (371 females, 214 males) volunteers consisting of healthy adults completed the general information form and NKS. For test-retest reliability, 164 (28.03%) participants completed the NKS again within four weeks following the first conduct. Results: As a result of Explanatory Factor Analysis (EFA), NKS items were collected under one factor. According to the results of the Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA), all fit indices were found at an acceptable level. Cronbach's alpha value calculated for reliability analysis of NKS is 0.851. The intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) calculated for test-retest reliability is 0.863. Conclusion: This research indicates that NCS is an acceptable, valid, and reliable scale that covers all aspects of nutritional knowledge and can be used in future research for determining and evaluating the nutritional knowledge level of adults.
2. Makiabadi E, Kaveh MH, Mahmoodi MR, Asadollahi A, Salehi M. Enhancing nutrition-related literacy, knowledge and behavior among university students: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nutrition Sciences 2019; 4(3): 122-9.
3. Feren A, Torheim L, Lillegaard IL. Development of a nutrition knowledge questionnaire for obese adults. Food & Nutrition Research 2011; 55(1): 7271.
4. Akkartal Ş, Gezer C. Is Nutrition Knowledge Related to Diet Quality and Obesity? Ecology of Food and Nutrition 2020; 59(2): 119-29.
5. Parmenter K, Wardle J. Development of a general nutrition knowledge questionnaire for adults. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1999; 53(4): 298-308.
6. Calella P, Iacullo VM, Valerio G. Validation of a general and sport nutrition knowledge questionnaire in adolescents and young adults: GeSNK. Nutrients. 2017; 9: 439.
7. Said L, Gubbels JS, Kremers SP. Development of Dietary Knowledge and Adherence Questionnaires for Lebanese Adolescents and Their Parents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2020; 17(1): 147.
8. Spronk I, Heaney SE, Prvan T, O’Connor HT. Relationship between general nutrition knowledge and dietary quality in elite athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2015; 25: 243–51.
9. Kullen CJ, Farrugia J-L, Prvan T, O’Connor HT. Relationship between general nutrition knowledge and diet quality in Australian military personnel. Br J Nutr 2016; 115: 1489–97.
10. Barzegari A, Ebrahimi M, Azizi M, Ranjbar K. A Study of nutrition knowledge, attitudes and food habits of college students. World Appl Sci J 2011; 15(7): 1012-17.
11. Matsumoto M, Ishige N, Sakamoto A, Saito A, Ikemoto S. Nutrition knowledge related to breakfast skipping among Japanese adults aged 18–64 years: a cross-sectional study. Public Health Nutrition 2019; 22(6): 1029-36.
12. Teasdale SB, Burrows TL, Hayes T, Hsia CY, Watkins A, Curtis J, Ward PB. Dietary intake, food addiction and nutrition knowledge in young people with mental illness. Nutrition & Dietetics 2020; 77(3): 315-22.
13. Gümüşdağ H, Kartal A. Examination of nutrition knowledge level of handball players playing in league and national teams in terms of some variables. The Journal of International Anatolia Sport Science 2017; 4: 208-15.
14. Trakman GL, Forsyth A, Hoye R, Belski R. Developing and validating a nutrition knowledge questionnaire: key methods and considerations. Public Health Nutrition 2017; 20(15): 2670-9.
15. Özçelik AÖ, Sürücüoğlu MS. A Study on Nutritional Knowledge of Medical Doctors. J Nutr and Diet 2000; 29(1): 11-6.
16. Vançelik S, Önal SG, Güraksın A, Beyhun E. Related factors with nutritional habits and nutrition knowledge of university students. TSK Koruyucu Hekimlik Bülteni 2007; 6(4): 242-8.
17. Şanlıer N, Özgen l. Öğrencilere farklı yöntemlerle verilen eğitimin ağız-diş sağlığı ve beslenme bilgisi üzerine etkisi. Türk Eğitim Bilimleri Dergisi 2005; 3(3): 351-65.
18. Şanlıer N, Konaklıoğlu E, Güçer E. Gençlerin beslenme bilgi, alışkanlık ve davranışları ile beden kütle indeksleri arasındaki ilişki. Gazi Üniversitesi Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi 2009; 29(2): 333-52.
19. Newton G, Racey M, Marquez O, McKenney A, Preyde M, Wosnick D. A systematic review of tools measuring nutrition knowledge of pre‐adolescents and adolescents in a school‐based setting. Journal of School Health 2019; 89(5): 402-416.
20. Spronk I, Kullen C, Burdon C, O'Connor H. Relationship between nutrition knowledge and dietary intake. British Journal of Nutrition 2014; 111(10), 1713-26.
21. Yardımcı H, Özçelik AÖ. Meal patterns of university students and the ımpact of nutrition education on their nutritional knowledge. J Nutr and Diet 2015; 43(1): 19-26.
22. Towler G, Shepherd R. Development of a nutritional knowledge questionnaire. J Hum Nutr Diet 1990; 3: 255-64.
23. Anderson AS, Umapathy D, Palumbo L, Pearson DWM. Nutrition knowledge assessed in a group of medical in-patients. J Hum Nutr Diet 1998; 1:39-46.
24. Resnicow K, Hearn M, Delano RK, Conklin T, Orlandi MA, Wynder EL. Development of a nutrition knowledge scale for elementary school students: toward a national surveillance system. J Nutr Educ 1997; 28: 156-64.
25. Stafleu A, Van Staveren WA, De Graaf C, Burema J. Nutrition knowledge and attitudes towards high-fat foods and low-fat alternatives in three generations of women. Eur J Clin Nutr 1996; 50: 33-41.
26. Steenhuis IHM, Brug J, Van Assema P, Imbos Tj. The validation of a test to measure knowledge about the fat content of food products. Nutr and Health 1996; 10: 331-9.
27. Blennerhassett C, McNaughton LR, Cronin L, Sparks SA. Development and implementation of a nutrition knowledge questionnaire for ultra-endurance athletes. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 2019; 29(1): 39-45.
28. Karpinski CA, Dolins KR, Bachman J. Development and validation of a 49-item Sports Nutrition Knowledge Instrument (49-SNKI) for adult athletes. Topics in Clinical Nutrition 2019; 34(3): 174-85.
29. Alsaffar AA. Validation of a general nutrition knowledge questionnaire in a Turkish student sample. Public Health Nutr 2012; 15: 2074–85.
30. Ferro-Lebres V, Moreira P, Ribeiro JC. Adaptation, update and validation of the general nutrition questionnaire in a Portuguese adolescent sample. Ecol Food Nutr 2014; 53: 528–42.
31. Putnoky S, Banu AM, Moleriu LC, Putnoky S, Șerban DM, Niculescu MD, Șerban CL. Reliability and validity of a General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire for adults in a Romanian population. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2020; 1-9.
32. Bukenya R, Ahmed A, Andrade JM, Grigsby-Toussaint DS, Muyonga J, Andrade JE. Validity and reliability of general nutrition knowledge questionnaire for adults in Uganda. Nutrients 2017; 9(2): 172.
33. Hendrie GA, Cox DN, Coveney J. Validation of the General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire in an Australian community sample. Nutr Diet 2008; 65: 72–7.
34. Matsumoto M, Tanaka R, Ikemoto S. Validity and reliability of a General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire for Japanese adults. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 2017; 63: 298–305.
35. Kliemann N, Wardle J, Johnson F, Croker H. Reliability and validity of a revised version of the General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 2016; 70: 1174–80.
36. Batmaz H. Development of a Nutrition Knowledge Level Scale For Adults and validation reliability study (Thesis), Marmara University, Master Thesis; Istanbul, 2018.
37. Turkey Dietary Guidelines, Ministry of Health of Turkey Publication No: 1046, Ankara 2016.
38. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015.
39. World Health Organization. Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases. Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 916. Geneva 2003.
40. National Health and Medical Research Council. Australian Dietary Guidelines. Canberra: National Health and Medical Research Council. February 2013.
41. Veneziano L. and Hooper J. A method for quantifying content validity of health-related questionnaires. American Journal of Health Behavior 1997; 21 (1): 67-70.