Main Article Content
antioxidant activity, nipa palm, texture analyze, retarding retrogradation, sensory evaluation
This study investigated the properties of nipa palm powder, upon addition to the traditional Korean food Sulgidduk. The samples were designed as N0 (without nipa palm powder), N1 (with 1% nipa palm powder), N2 (with 2% nipa palm powder), N3 (with 3% nipa palm powder), and N4 (with 4% nipa palm powder). The moisture content of the Sulgidduk samples increased as the amount of nipa palm powder increased. No significant difference was observed in the pH between samples. The total polyphenol and flavonoid contents were observed to significantly increase in the Sulgidduk samples as the amount of nipa palm powder increased. The hardness, cohesiveness, and chewiness of the samples decreased as the amount of nipa palm powder increased; however, the brittleness increased. Although sensory evaluation revealed that the overall preference was the greatest for the N0 samples, the N2 samples had the strongest retarding retrogradation effect.
2. O HB, Song KY, Zhang Y, Kim YS. Effects of adding radicchio (Cichorium intybus L.) Powder to rice cakes (Sulgidduk) on the quality. Prog Nutr 2018; 20: 246-254.
3. Yu HN, Song JH, Kim MR. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of Sulgidduk added with almond powder. Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2017; 46: 809-815.
4. Choi EN. (2019). Food texture, Yemundang, Seoul.
5. Kim SS, Chung HY. Retarding retrogradation of Korean rice cakes (Kareduk) with a mixture of trehalose and modified starch analyzed by Avrami kinetics. Korean J Food Nutr 2010; 23: 39-44.
6. Kim YA, Shim HR, Rho J. Effect of oligosaccharides on retrogradation of Sulgidduk. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2015; 25: 513-524.
7. Wang S, Li C, Copeland L, Niu Q, Wang S. Starch retrogradation: a comprehensive review. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 2015; 14: 568-585.
8. Matsui N, Okimori Y, Takahashi F, Matsumura K, Bamroongrugsa N. Nipa (Nypa fruticans Wurmb) sap collection in Southern Thailand I. Sap production and farm management. Environ Nat Resour Res 2014; 4: 75-88.
9. Pramila T, Shiro S. Chemical characterization of various parts of nipa palm. Industrial Crops and products 2011; 34: 1423-1428.
10. Uhl NW. Inflorescence and flower structure in Nypa fruticans (Palmae). Am J Bot 1972; 59: 729-743.
11. Hamilton LS, Murphy DH. Use and management of nipa palm (Nypa fruticans, Arecaceae): a review. Econ Bot 1998; 42: 206-213.
12. Oh YJ, Hwang ES. Quality properties and antioxidant activity of cream soup with wheat flour replaced by nipa palm (Nypa fruticans) powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 2017: 33: 435-442.
13. Sukairi AH, Sabri WMA, Yusop SATW, Asaruddin MR. Phytochemical screening, antidiabetic and antioxidant properties of Nypa fruticans sap. Mater Today: Proceedings 2019; 19: 1738-1744.
14. Udofia SI, Udo ES. Local knowledge of utilization of nipa palm (Nypa fruticans, Wurmb) in the coastal areas of Akwa Ibom state, Nigeria. GJAR 2005; 4: 33-40.
15. Ronald OO, Normalina P. Improving the quality of nipa wine. 2014; 1: 24-27.
16. Nor AY, Mun FY, Hooi KB, Khairul NAR, Tri W, Roziahanim M, Marian A, M ZA. Antidibetic and antioxidant activites of Nypa fruticans Wumb. Vinegar smaplefrom Malaysia. Asian Pacfie J of Tropical Medicine 2015; 8: 695-605.
17. Akay S, Alpak I, Yesil‐Celiktas O. Effects of process parameters on supercritical CO2 extraction of total phenols from strawberry (Arbutus unedo L.) Fruits: An optimization study. J Sep Sci 2011; 34: 1925-1931.
18. O HB, Song KY, Zhang Y, Kim, YS. Effects of adding radicchio (Cichorium intybus L.) Powder to rice cakes (Sulgidduk) on the quality. Progress in Nutrition 2018; 20: 246-254.
19. Kim SY, Bin OH, Lee P, Kim YS. Addition of firik improves the antioxidant and quality characteristics of steamed rice cake (Sulgidduk). Prog Nutr 2019; 21: 430-439.
20. O h YJ, Hwan ES. Quality properties and antioxidant activity of cream soup with wheat flour replaced by nipa palm powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 2017; 33: 435-442.
21. Rosenthal AJ. Food texture: measurement and perception. 1999.
22. Kim JO, Choi CR, Shin MS, Kim SK, Lee SK, Kim WS. Effects of water content and storage temperature on the aging of rice starch gels. Korea J Food Sci Technol 1996; 28: 552-557.
23. Sterling C, Radley JA. Starch and its Derivatives, x ed.; Chapman and Hall: London, England, 1968; pp. 139.
24. Phetrit R, Chaijan M, Sorapukdee S, Panpipat W. Characterization of nipa palm’s (Nypa fruticans Wurmb.) Sap and syrup as functional food ingredients. Sugar Tech 2020; 22: 191-201.
25. Ho, C.T. (1992). Phenolic compounds in food: an overview.
26. Paole V, Filomena M, Nicola C, Vincenzo. Dietary antioxidant compounds and liver health. 2005; 44: 7-8.
27. Aziz A, Jack R. Total phenolic content and antioxidant activity in Nypa fruticans extracts. Journal of Sustainability Science and Management 2015; 10: 87-91.
28. Sukairi AH, Sabri WMAW, Yusop SATW, Asaruddin MR. Phytochemical Screening, Antidiabetic and Antioxidant Properties of Nypa frutican Sap. Materials Today: Proceedings 2019; 19: 1738-1744.
29. Lee YH, Kim WK, Jung HA, Oh WK. Analysis of nutritional components and antioxidant activity of nipa palm (Nypa fruticans Wurmb) flower stalk. Korean J Food Nutr 2017; 30: 1080-1086.
30. Singh N, Rajini PS. Free radical scavenging activity of an aqueous extract of potato peel. Food Chem 2004; 85: 611-616.
31. Nagendra P, bao Y, Kin WK, Hock EK, Jian S, Azrina A, Amin I Zulfild BR. Hindawi Evidence-based complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013; 1-9.
32. Szczesniak AS. Classification of textural characteristics A. J Food Sci 1963; 28: 385-389.
33. Kim MY, Kim SJ, Huang Y. Development and characterization of easily chewable Korean rice cake (Garaedduk) for elderly. Korean J Food Nutr 2018; 31: 80-88.
34. Choi BB, Kim YS. Quality and antioxidant properties of sponge cake containing radicchio (Cichorium intybus L.) Powder. Korean J Food Nutr 2015; 28: 910-917.
35. Choi EN. (2018). Food texture, Yemundang, Seoul.
36. Song JC, Park HJ. Physical, Functional, Textural and Rheological properties of foods. Ulsan university
37. Nakamura M, Suzuki S. Handbook of Starch Science, x ed.; Asakura shoten: Tokyo, Japan, 1977; pp. 18.
38. Heyman H, Lawless HT. Introduction to Applications. In Sensory Evaluation of Food: Principles and Practices, x ed.; Lawless, H.T., Heyman, H., Eds.; Chapman and Hall Publishers: New York, USA, 1998; Volume x, pp. 17-24.
39. Kilcast D. Sensory techniques to study food texture. Food texture: Measurement and perception 1999; 30-64.
40. Clark RC. Flavour and texture factors in model gel systems. Food Technol Int Eur 1990; 271-277.
41. Ocampo RO, Usita NP. Improving the quality of nipa (Nypa fruticans) wine. APJEAS 2014 1.
42. Prasad N, Yang B, Kong KW, Khoo HE, Sun J, Azlan A, Ismail A, Romli ZB. Phytochemicals and antioxidant capacity from Nypa fruticans Wurmb. fruit. Evid Based Complementary Altern Med 2013.
43. Ronda F, Quilez J, Pando V, Roos YH. Fermentation time and fiber effects on recrystallization of starch components and staling of bread from frozen part-baked bread. J Food Eng 2014; 131: 116-123.
44. Tamunaidu P, Saka S. Chemical characterization of various parts of nipa palm (Nypa fruticans). Ind Crops Prod 2011; 34: 1423-1428.
45. Vitaglione P, Morisco F, Caporaso N, Fogliano V. Dietary antioxidant compounds and liver health. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2005; 44: 575-586.
46. Yusoff NA et al. Antidiabetic and antioxidant activities of Nypa fruticans Wurmb. vinegar sample from Malaysia. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2015; 8: 595-605.