Main Article Content
Ginger essential oil, Cyprinus carpio, storage life, food preservation, quality
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) essential oil is considered safe. In this study, ginger (Zingiber officinale) essential oil was used to extend storage life of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) and detect its protective effects.
The following tests were performed to assess the shelf life of carp (C:control) treated with ginger essential oil (G). The microbiota growth of the carp, sensory properties, pH, TVB TBA values, the shelf life of the carp changed positively by adding ginger oil in different concentrations to the carp (C1, C2, C3: 0.1%, 0.25%, 0.5%ginger essential oil was added to carp samples).
On the other hand; ginger essential oil has a positive effect on TVB-N and TBA values of carp fillets. With reference to the results of microbiota growth, carp sample (C: control) showed the highest value (P < 0.05) on the 6th storage day.
The results show the importance of the use of Zingiber officinale essential oil to prevent food spoilage.
1. Winker H, Weyl OL, Booth AJ, Ellender BR. Validating and corroborating the deposition of two annual growth zones in asteriscus otoliths of common carp Cyprinus carpio from South Africa's largest impoundment. J Fish Biol 2010; 77(10): 2210-2228.
2. Zhang Y, Li Q, Li D, Liu X, Luo Y. Changes in the microbial communities of air-packaged and vacuum packaged common carp (Cyprinus carpio) stored at 4 ◦C. Food Microbiol 2015; 52: 197-204.
3. Lu X, Rasco BA, Jabal JMF and et al. Investigating antibacterial effects of garlic (Allium sativum) concentrate and garlic-derived organosulfur compounds on Campylobacter jejuni by using fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Appl Environ Microbiol 2011; 77, 5257-5269.
4. Mahmoud BSM, Yamazaki K, Miyashita K, II-Shik S, Dong-Suk C, Suzuki T, Bacterial microflora of carp (Cyprinus carpio) and its shelf-life extension by essential oil compounds. Food Microbiol. 2004; 21: 657-666.
5. Zhang Y, Li D, Lv J and et al. Effect of cinnamon essential oil on bacterial diversity and shelf-life in vacuum-packaged common carp (Cyprinus carpio) during refrigerated storage. Int J Food Microbiol 2017; 249: 1-8.
6. Alrefaie S. Effect of clove and lemon grass essential oils on shelf life of cakes as antioxidants (karanfil ve limon otu esansiyel yağlarının antioksidan olarak keklerin raf ömrü üzerine etkisi). (Master Thesis), İstanbul Aydın Univesity Science Institute, İstanbul (2017).
7. Emir Çoban O. Effect of ginger oil on the sensory and chemical changes of fish finger (sarda sarda, heckel 1843) during refrigerated storage. Int Food Res J 2013; 20 (4): 1575-1578.
8. Food and drugs; Food and drugs administration; Food for human consumption. [Title 21, Vo:3, [CITE: 21CFR182.20]. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=182.20 (Revised as of April 1 2019).
9. Snuossi M, Trabelsi N, Ben Taleb S and et al. Laurus nobilis, Zingiber officinale and Anethum graveolens essential Oils: Composition, antioxidant and antibacterial activities against bacteria isolated from fish and shellfish. Molecules.2016; 21(10): 1414.
10. Adelakun OE, Oyelade OJ, Olanipekun BF. Use of essential oils in food preservation. essential oils in food preservation, Flavor and Safety 2016; 71-84.
11. Nguefack J, Leth V, Amvam Zollo PH, Mathur SB. Evaluation of five essential oils from aromatic plants of cameroon for controlling food spoilage and mycotoxin producing fungi. Int J Food Microbiol 2004; 94(3): 329-334.
12. Hassoun A. and Emir Çoban Ö. Essential oils for antimicrobial and antioxidant applications infish and other seafood products. Trends Food Sci Tech 2017; 68: 26-36.
13. Harrigan WF. Laboratory methods in food microbiology. 3 nd edition. 1998; Academic Press Limited, London
14. AOAC. Official method of analysis. Association of official analytical, 16th Edition, 2002; Washington, DC. USA.
15. Connell JJ and Shewan J M. Sensory and nonsensory assessment of fish. Adv Fish Sci Tech. Fishing News Books Ltd., UK, (ed. J.J. Connell). Fishing News Books, Ltd., Farnham, Surrey, England, 1980; pp. 56–65.
16. Tarladgis BG, Watts BM, Yonathan MT and Dugan Jr L. A Distilation method for determination of malonaldehyde in rancidity food. J Am Oil Chem' Soc 1960; 37(1): 44-48.
17. Lawless HT. Heymann H. Sensory evaluation of food: Principles and practices, Second Edition, Food Science Text Series, Springer. Chapman and Hall, New York. 2010; p.596.
18. ICMSF. Sampling plans for fish and shellfish. In: Microorganisms in foods 2. Sampling for microbiological analysis: Principles and specific applications, University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1986;181-196.
19. Karaton Kuzgun N, Gürel İnanlı A. The investigation of the shelf life at 2–1°C of Luciobarbus esocinus fillets packaged with films prepared with the addition of different essential oils and chitosan. J Food Sci Technol 2018; 55(7): 2692-2701.
20. Özpolat E, Duman M. Effect of black cumin oil (Nigella sativa L.) on fresh fish (Barbus grypus) fillets during storage at 2 ± 1 °C. Food Sci Technol (Campinas) 2017; 37(1): 148-152.
21. Kykkidou S, Giatrakou V, Papavergou A, Kontominas MG, Savvaidis I.N. Effect of thyme essential oil and packaging treatments on fresh Mediterranean swordfısh fillets during storage at 40. Food Chem 2009; 115(1): 169-175.
22. Singh G, Kapoor IPS, Singh P and et al. Chemistry, antioxidant and antimicrobial investigations on essential oil and oleoresins of Zingiber officanale. Food Chem Toxicol 2008; 46(10): 3295-3302.
23. Erkan N, Tosun SY, Ulusoy S, Uretener G. The use of thyme and laurel essential oil treatments to extend the shelf life of bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) during storage in ice. J Verbrauch Lebensm 2011; 6(1): 159.
24. Sriket C. Proteases in fish and shellfish: Role on muscle softening and prevention. Int Food Res J 2014; 21(1): 433-445.
25. Frank F, Xu Y, Jiang Q, Xia W. Protective effects of garlic (Allium sativum) and ginger (Zingiber officinale) on physicochemical and microbial attributes of liquid smoked silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) wrapped in aluminium foil during chilled storage. Afr J Food Sci 2014; 8(1): 1-8.
26. Genç IY, Esteves E, Anibal J, Diler A. Effects of chilled storage on quality of vacuum packed meagre fillets. J Food Eng 2013; 115: 486-494.
27. Patır B, Can ÖP, Emir Çoban Ö, Özpolat E. The Effect of eugenol on shelf life of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) marinades. Firat University Turkısh J Sci Technol 2015; 27(2): 9-16.
28. Ke PJ, Cervantes E, Robles-Martinez C. Determination of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in fish tissue by an improved distillation spectrophotometric method. J Sci Food Agric 1984; 35(11): 1248-1254.
29. Idakwo PY, Negbenebor CA, Badau MH, Gbenyi DI. Total volatile base nitrogen (TVBN) andtrimethylamine (TMA) contentof “Bunyi youri”as influenced by the addition of glucose and clove during storage. Int J Biotechnol Food Sci 2016; 4(5): 81-85.