Main Article Content
University student, Sports attitude, Healthy lifestyle behavior
Study Objectives: In this study, it was aimed to determine the effect of university students' sports attitudes on healthy lifestyle behavior and to examine the relationship between these two variables. Methods: A total of 749 students who studied in different departments at Bingöl University during the 2019-2020 academic year participated in the study as volunteers (Age: 21.71±2.20). In the research, besides the personal information form, "Healthy Lifestyle Behaviors Scale-II" and "Sports Attitude Scale" were used. In the analysis of the obtained data, Pearson Correlation and Linear Regression analysis were applied using the SPSS package program. Results: It was determined that there was a moderate positive relationship between the sports attitude and healthy lifestyle behavior in university students. In addition, it was determined that sports attitude predicted the healthy lifestyle behavior variable by 18%. Conclusion: It was seen that students' sports attitudes had a positive effect on healthy lifestyle behaviors. This result shows that students have information about the important roles of sports in health (motivation, stress management, coping with depression, physical ability, regular eating habits, etc.).
2. Eskiler E, Yıldız, Y, Ayhan, C. The effect of leisure benefits on leisure satisfaction: extreme sports. Turkish Journal of Sport and Exercise 2019; 21(1): 16-20.
3. Erkan E. Toplum sağlığı açısından spor içinde: Ergen E (ed). Spor Hekimliği. Maya Matbaacılık Yayıncılık, Ankara, 1992. [In Turkish]
4. Koçak F. Üniversite öğrencilerinin spora yönelik tutumları: Bir ölçek geliştirme çalışması. SPORMETRE Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi 2018; 12(1): 59-69. [In Turkish]
5. Keskin N, Öncü E, Küçük-Kılıç S. Ortaokul öğrencilerinin beden eğitimi dersine yönelik tutum ve öz-yeterlikleri. SPORMETRE Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi 2016; 14(1): 93-107. [In Turkish]
6. Tavşancıl E. Tutumların ölçülmesi ve SPSS ile veri analizi. Nobel Yayıncılık, Ankara, 2014.
7. İnceoğlu M. Tutum algı iletişim. Beykent Üniversitesi İletişim ve Tasarım Bölümü, Beykent Üniversitesi Yayınları, İstanbul, 2010. [In Turkish]
8. Sisk R, J. Caregiver burden and health promotion. Int J Nurs Stud Suppl 2000; 37(1): 37–43.
9. Edelman C, Mandle C, L. Health promotion throughout the lifespan. The C.V. Mosby Company, St Luis, Toronto, Princeton, 1986.
10. Esin N. Determining and changing the health behaviors of industrial workers [Doctoral Thesis]. Istanbul University, Institute of Health Sciences, Istanbul, Turkey, 1997.
11. Walker S, N, Sechrist K, R, Pender N, J. The health-promoting lifestyle profile: Development and psychometric characteristics. Nurs Res 1987; 36(2): 76-80.
12. Walker S, N, Hill-Polerecky D, M. Psychometric evaluation of the health-promoting lifestyle profile II. Unpublished manuscript, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 1996.
13. Bahar Z, Beşer A, Gördes N, et al. Sağlıklı yaşam biçimi davranışları ölçeği II’nin geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. Cumhuriyet Üniversitesi, Hemşirelik Yüksekokulu Dergisi 2008; 12(1): 1-13. [In Turkish]
14. Yücecan S. Besin tüketimindeki değişimler ve yeni eğilimler, türk mutfak kültürü üzerine araştırmalar. Türkiye Halk Kültürünü Araştırma ve Tanıtma Vakfı Yayınları, Ankara, 1999. [In Turkish]
15. Şentürk H, E. Spora yönelik tutum ölçeği: geliştirilmesi, geçerliliği ve güvenirliği. Celala Bayar Üniversitesi, Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi 2012; 7(2): 8-18. [In Turkish]
16. Mertler C, A, Vannatta, R, A. Advanced and multivariate statistical methods: Practical application and interpretation. Pyrczak Publishing, Los Angeles, 2005.
17. Placek J, A, Griffin L, L, Dodds P, et al. Middle school students’ conceptions of fitness: The long road to a healthy lifestyle. J Teach Phys Educ 2001; 20(4): 314-323.
18. Zorba E. Yaşam kalitesi ve fiziksel aktivite. 10th International Sports Sciences Congress, October, 23-25, Bolu/Turkey, pp.82–85, 2008. [In Turkish]
19. Bailey R. (2006). Physical education and sport in schools: A review of benefits and outcomes. J School Health 2006; 76(8): 397-401.
20. Von Bothmer M, I, Fridlund, B. Gender differences in health habits and in motivation for a healthy lifestyle among Swedish university students. Nurs Health Sci 2005; 7(2): 107-118.
21. Söyleyici S, S. Examining the healthy life behaviors of university students according to physical activity levels, [Doctoral Thesis]. Gazi University, Institute of Health Sciences, Ankara, Turkey, 2018.
22. Hawks R, S, Madanat H, N, Merill R, M, et al. Crosscultural comparison of health promoting behaviours among college Students. J Health Educ 2002; 5: 84-92.
23. Sarıca M. Invistigation of sport attitude of university students, [Master Thesis]. Mehmet Akif Ersoy University, Institute of Educational Sciences, Burdur, Turkey, 2019.
24. Kılcı H. The effect of high school students 'attitudes on physical education course on healthy life style behavior, [Master Thesis]. Hitit University, Institute of Health Sciences, Çorum, Turkey, 2019.
25. Koff E, Bauman, C, L. Effects of wellness, fitness, and sport skills programs on body image and lifestyle behaviors. Percept Mot Skills 1997; 84(2): 555-562.
26. Kılıç L. Evaluation of healthy lifestyle behaviors of physical education teachers according to some variables, [Master Thesis]. İstanbul Gelisim University, Institute of Health Sciences, İstanbul, Turkey, 2017.
27. Akarsu G. Effects of physical activity on obesity and eating habits in women, [Master Thesis]. Gazi University, Institute of Educational Sciences, Ankara, Turkey, 2018.
28. Galan Y, Soverda I, Zoriy Y, et al. Designing an effective approach to sport for the integration in higher education institutions (the effects of yoga practice). 2017.
29. Kelinske B, Mayer B, W, Chen K, L. Perceived benefits from participation ın sports: a gender study. Women Manag Rev 2001; 16(2): 75-84.
30. Yalçın İ, Ayhan C. Sportif rekreasyonel etkinliklere katılan kadınlarda fiziksel görünüş mükemmelliyetçiliği ve psikolojik iyi oluşun öz güven üzerine etkisi. SPORMETRE Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi 2020; 18(1): 205-212. [In Turkish]