Main Article Content
raw milk, aflatoxin M1, HPLC, food safety
This study has been conducted to determine the frequency of aflatoxin M1 (AFM1) contamination in raw milk produced across six zones of Cyprus between 2018-2020 in accordance with seasonality and production regions. A total of 1,026 samples of raw milk were collected from the different production regions of the 6 provinces between September 2018 and August 2020. AFM1 analyses were conducted using the HPLC method. On average, AFM1 contamination of the total of 1,026 raw milk samples was determined to be 26.4±17.96 ng/L. It was found that only 11.4% of the raw milk samples exceeded the legal limit of the European Union (50 ng/L). AFM1 contamination incidence in raw milk samples is much higher in autumn and winter (average 31.77±19.21 ng/L and 26.96±20.77 ng/L, respectively) compared to spring and summer (average 19.00±18.53 ng/L and 7.51±11.31 ng/L, respectively). For this reason, it is important to monitor AFM1 contamination in raw milk in autumn and winter. This comprehensive study, which is the first of its kind in Cyprus, will promote the management and future risk analysis of AFM1 contamination in raw milk across the region.
2. Ergün, S. G., Özkan, S., & Abbasoğlu, U. (2016). Investigation of aflatoxin B1 levels in red-scaled pepper by ELISA. Gazi Medical Journal, 27(4). http://dx.doi.org/10.12996/gmj.2016.61
3. Campagnollo, F. B., Ganev, K. C., Khaneghah, A. M., Portela, J. B., Cruz, A. G., Granato, D., ... & Sant'Ana, A. S. (2016). The occurrence and effect of unit operations for dairy products processing on the fate of aflatoxin M1: A review. Food control, 68, 310-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.04.007
4. Türel, G. Y., & Calapoğlu, N. Ş. (2017). Mikotoksinler ve moleküler düzeydeki etkileri. SDÜ Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi, 24(1), 13-28.
5. Delialioğlu, N., Otağ, F., Ocal, N. D., Aslan, G., & Emekda, G. (2010). Investigation of aflatoxin M1 levels in raw and market milks in Mersin Province, Turkey. Mikrobiyoloji bulteni, 44(1), 87-91.
6. Fallah, A. A., Fazlollahi, R., & Emami, A. (2016). Seasonal study of aflatoxin M1 contamination in milk of four dairy species in Yazd, Iran. Food Control, 68, 77-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.03.018
7. Deligöz, E., & Bilge, N. (2017). Threat Coming with Milk: Aflatoxin. Turkish Journal of Agriculture-Food Science and Technology, 5(8), 846-857. https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v5i8.846-857.1111
8. Iqbal, S. Z., Jinap, S., Pirouz, A. A., & Faizal, A. A. (2015). Aflatoxin M1 in milk and dairy products, occurrence and recent challenges: A review. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 46(1), 110-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2015.08.005
9. Ketney, O., Santini, A., & Oancea, S. (2017). Recent aflatoxin survey data in milk and milk products: A review. International journal of dairy technology, 70(3), 320-331. https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12382
10. Kos, J. J., Hajnal, E. J., Jajić, I., Krstović, S., Mastilović, J., Šarić, B., & Jovanov, P. (2016). Comparison of ELISA, HPLC-FLD and HPLC-MS/MS methods for determination of aflatoxin M1 in natural contaminated milk samples. Acta Chimica Slovenica, 63(4), 747-756. http://dx.doi.org/10.17344/acsi.2016.2451
11. İşleyici, Ö., Sancak, Y. C., Sancak, H., & Yücel, U. M. (2015). Determination of Aflatoxin M1 Levels in Unpackaged Sold Raw Cow's Milk. Van Veterinary Journal, 26(3), 151-155.
12. Frazzoli, C., Gherardi, P., Saxena, N., Belluzzi, G., & Mantovani, A. (2017). The hotspot for (global) one health in primary food production: Aflatoxin M1 in dairy products. Frontiers in public health, 4, 294. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2016.00294
13. Çankırı, B., & Uyarlar, C. (2013). Mikotoksinlerin süt sığırlarının beslenmesindeki yeri ve önemi. Kocatepe Veteriner Dergisi, 6(2), 57-69. doi:10.5578/kvj.6339
14. Whitlow, L. W., & Hagler, W. M. (2010). Mold and mycotoxin issues in dairy cattle: effects, prevention and treatment. Adv Dairy Technol, 20, 195-209.
15. TGK, Türk Gıda Kodeksi Bulaşanlar Yönetmeliği, Last Modified December 29, 2011. Accessed September 8, 2020.
16. Hassan, H. F., & Kassaify, Z. (2014). The risks associated with aflatoxins M1 occurrence in Lebanese dairy products. Food Control, 37, 68-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.08.022
17. Özkaya, Ş., & Temiz, A. (2003). Aflatoksinler: Kimyasal yapıları, toksisiteleri ve detoksifikasyonları. Orlab On-Line Mikrobiyoloji Dergisi, 1(01), 1-2.
18. Monograph, I.A.R.C. (2012). Chemical Agents and Related Occupations volume 100F, A Review of Human Carcinogens. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
19. Rocha, M. E. B., Freire, F. D. C. O., Maia, F. E. F., Guedes, M. I. F., & Rondina, D. (2014). Mycotoxins and their effects on human and animal health. Food Control, 36(1), 159-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.08.021
20. Wen, J., Kong, W., Wang, J., & Yang, M. (2013). Simultaneous determination of four aflatoxins and ochratoxin A in ginger and related products by HPLC with fluorescence detection after immunoaffinity column clean‐up and postcolumn photochemical derivatization. Journal of separation science, 36(23), 3709-3716. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201300885
21. Martínez-Miranda, M., Taborda-Ocampo, G., & Rosero-Moreano, M. (2015). Validation of a high performance liquid chromatography method for Aflatoxins determination in corn arepas. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, 26(4), 797-803. https://doi.org/10.5935/0103-5053.20150042.
22. Choochuay, S., Phakam, J., Jala, P., Maneeboon, T., & Tansakul, N. (2018). Determination of aflatoxin B1 in feedstuffs without clean-up step by high-performance liquid chromatography. International journal of analytical chemistry, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4650764
23. Kupiec, T. (2004). Quality-control analytical methods: High-performance liquid chromatography. International journal of pharmaceutical compounding, 8, 223-227.
24. Matabaro, E., Ishimwe, N., Uwimbabazi, E., & Lee, B. H. (2017). Current immunoassay methods for the rapid detection of aflatoxin in milk and dairy products. Comprehensive reviews in food science and food safety, 16(5), 808-820. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12287
25. Codex Alimentarius. International Food Standards. General Standard for contaminants and toxins in food and feed. Codex Stan 193-1995. Amended in 2015.
26. Lerda, D. (2011). Mycotoxins factsheet. JRC Technical Notes, 4th ed., JRC, 66956, 2011.
27. Ismail, A., Riaz, M., Levin, R. E., Akhtar, S., Gong, Y. Y., & Hameed, A. (2016). Seasonal prevalence level of aflatoxin M1 and its estimated daily intake in Pakistan. Food Control, 60, 461-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.08.025
28. Nadira, A. F., Rosita, J., Norhaizan, M. E., & Redzwan, S. M. (2017). Screening of aflatoxin M1 occurrence in selected milk and dairy products in Terengganu, Malaysia. Food Control, 73, 209-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.08.004
29. De Roma, A., Rossini, C., Ritieni, A., Gallo, P., & Esposito, M. (2017). A survey on the Aflatoxin M1 occurrence and seasonal variation in buffalo and cow milk from Southern Italy. Food Control, 81, 30-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2017.05.034
30. Baygeldi, Y., & Tanyıldız, S. (2018). Elazığ’da Üretilen İnek Sütlerinde Aflatoksin M1 Düzeylerinin HPLC ile Araştırılması. Fırat Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Veteriner Dergisi, 32(3), 191-195.
31. Aksoy A., Sezer Ç. (2019). Evaluation of Aflatoxin M1 Presence in Raw Milk and Some Cheese Types Consumed in Kars. Kocatepe Veterinary Journal. 12(1),39-44 doi: 10.30607/kvj.47915
32. Lindahl, J. F., Kagera, I. N., & Grace, D. (2018). Aflatoxin M 1 levels in different marketed milk products in Nairobi, Kenya. Mycotoxin research, 34(4), 289-295. https://doi.org/10.18697/ajfand.75.ILRI01
33. Bolourchian, M., Safi, S., & Beheshtiha, S. H. S. (2016). On the occurrence of aflatoxin M-1 in dairy cattle milk in Varamin region, Tehran. International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences, 5(7), 68-72.
34. Madali, B., Gulec, A., & Ayaz, A. (2018). A survey of Aflatoxin M1 in different milk types in Turkey: risk assessment of children’s exposure. Prog. Nutr, 20, 659-664. Doi: 10.23751/pn.v20i4.6889
35. Mézes, M., Balogh, K., & Tóth, K. (2010). Preventive and therapeutic methods against the toxic effects of mycotoxins—A review. Acta Veterinaria Hungarica, 58(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1556/avet.58.2010.1.1
36. Ashiq, S. (2015). Natural occurrence of mycotoxins in food and feed: Pakistan perspective. Comprehensive Reviews in food science and food safety, 14(2), 159-175. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12122
37. Xiong, J. L., Wang, Y. M., Ma, M. R., & Liu, J. X. (2013). Seasonal variation of aflatoxin M1 in raw milk from the Yangtze River Delta region of China. Food Control, 34(2), 703-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.06.024
38. Li, S., Min, L., Wang, P., Zhang, Y., Zheng, N., & Wang, J. (2017). Aflatoxin M1 contamination in raw milk from major milk-producing areas of China during four seasons of 2016. Food Control, 82, 121-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2017.06.036
39. Puga-Torres, B., Salazar, D., Cachiguango, M., Cisneros, G., & Gómez-Bravo, C. (2020). Determination of aflatoxin M1 in raw milk from different provinces of Ecuador. Toxins, 12(8), 498. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins12080498
40. Trajkovska, B., Kuzmanovska, L., Kochoski, L., Elmazi, K., Makarijoski, B., & Karapetkovska-Hristova, V. (2017). A survey of seasonal variations of aflatoxin M1 in raw milk in Polog and Pelagonia region. Scientific Works Of University Of Food Technologies, 64(1), 139-143.
41. Serraino, A., Bonilauri, P., Kerekes, K., Farkas, Z., Giacometti, F., Canever, A., ... & Ambrus, Á. (2019). Occurrence of Aflatoxin M1 in raw milk marketed in Italy: Exposure assessment and risk characterization. Frontiers in microbiology, 10, 2516. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2019.02516
42. Ismaiel, A. A., Tharwat, N. A., Sayed, M. A., & Gameh, S. A. (2020). Two-year survey on the seasonal incidence of aflatoxin M1 in traditional dairy products in Egypt. Journal of food science and technology, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-020-04254-3