macular degeneration, eye diseases, health-related quality of life, perceived social support
Aim: The goal of this study was to assess Vision-Related Quality of Life (VRQoL) in patients with Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) and identify its significant predictors.
Methods: 458 AMD patients from four eye clinics in three major cities of Kazakhstan were recruited for this study. Data were collected using a structured questionnaire on sociodemographic and visual information and the National Eye Institute-Visual Function Questionnaire-39 (NEI-VFQ-39).
Results: The study sample included 181 male patients who were 64.9 years on average (SD±8.4), and 277 female patients who were 68.7 years on average (SD±10.7). The majority of patients had stage 2 (43.7%) or stage 3 (40.2%) AMD according to the Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS) classification. The mean (SD) NEI-VFQ-39 total score was 58.0 (23.8), range (9.8 - 100). The multiple linear regression model showed that the VRQoL of AMD patients was correlated with the AMD stage according to the AREDS classification, age of the patients, visual acuity, number of years since the AMD diagnosis, and the city of residence.
Conclusions: AMD causes severe vision impairment and daily functioning problems, reducing the quality of life of patients. To diagnose and treat degenerative eye disorders at an early stage, it is essential to inform patients about regular ophthalmological checkups.
2. Sergejeva O, Botov R, Liutkevičienė R, Kriaučiūnienė L. Genetic factors associated with the development of age-related macular degeneration. Medicina (B Aires). 2016;52(2):79–8.
3. Mauschitz MM, Finger RP. Age-related macular degeneration and cardiovascular diseases: revisiting the common soil theory. Asia-Pacific J Ophthalmol. 2022;11(2):94–9.
4. UNPF. Population Situation Analysis in the Republic of Kazakhstan [Internet]. Nur-Sultan; 2016. Available from: https://kazakhstan.unfpa.org/sites/default/files/pub-pdf/UNFPA_FullReport_Eng_Final_0.pdf
5. Sarkar A, Sodha SJ, Junnuthula V, Kolimi P, Dyawanapelly S. Novel and investigational therapies for wet and dry age-related macular degeneration. Drug Discov Today. 2022;27(8):2322-32
6. Papalamprou M, Georgakopoulos CD, Pharmakakis N. Quality of life: Investigating the impact of two major mental disorders, anxiety and depression, in patients with age-related macular degeneration. Br J Vis Impair. 2022;40(2):301–15.
7. Palsule AC, Kulkarni AA, Jathar K V. Quality of life in patients affected by age-related macular degeneration. J Clin Ophthalmol Res. 2021;9(1):3-8.
8. Berdeaux GH, Nordmann J-P, Colin E, Arnould B. Vision-related quality of life in patients suffering from age-related macular degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;139(2):271–9.
9. Schippert AC, Jelin E, Moe MC, Heiberg T, Grov EK. The impact of age-related macular degeneration on quality of life and its association with demographic data: results from the NEI VFQ-25 questionnaire in a Norwegian population. Gerontol Geriatr Med. 2018;4:2333721418801601.
10. Šiaudvytytė L, Mitkutė D, Balčiūnienė J. Quality of Life in Patients With Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Medicina. 2012;48(2)109-1:.
11. Jin I, Tang D, Gengaroli J, et al. Cross-sectional study evaluating burden and depressive symptoms in family carers of persons with age-related macular degeneration in Australia. BMJ Open. 2021;11(9):e048658.
12. Jussibaliyeva A, Kurmanalina A, Kunurkulzhayeva G, et al. Regulation of labour-surplus resources within the framework of state employment programs in Kazakhstan: Experience of entrepreneurship education. J Entrep Educ. 2019;22(2):1–16.
13. Święch A, Dolar-Szczasny J, Wróbel-Dudzińska D, Kosior-Jarecka E, Mackiewicz J. Quality of life among patients from urban and rural areas with advanced age-related macular degeneration assessed using the NEI-VFQ-25. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2021;28(2):243-9.
14. Roque AB, da Silva Borges GF, Abe RY, et al. The effects of age-related macular degeneration on quality of life in a Brazilian population. Int J Retin Vitr. 2021;7(1):1–10.
15. Matamoros E, Maurel F, Léon N, et al. Quality of life in patients suffering from active exudative age-related macular degeneration: the EQUADE study. Ophthalmologica. 2015;234(3):151–9.
16. Aydin Kurna S, Altun A, Gencaga T, Akkaya S, Sengor T. Vision related quality of life in patients with keratoconus. J Ophthalmol. 2014;2014:694542
17. Wan Y, Zhao L, Huang C, et al. Validation and comparison of the National Eye Institute Visual Functioning Questionnaire‐25 (NEI VFQ‐25) and the Visual Function Index‐14 (VF‐14) in patients with cataracts: a multicentre study. Acta Ophthalmol. 2021;99(4):e480–8.
18. Khadka J, McAlinden C, Pesudovs K. Validation of the National Eye Institute Visual Function Questionnaire-25 (NEI VFQ-25) in age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53(3):1276.
19. Chang MY, Velez FG, Demer JL, Isenberg SJ, Coleman AL, Pineles SL. Quality of life in adults with strabismus. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015;159(3):539–44.
20. Nassiri N, Mehravaran S, Nouri-Mahdavi K, Coleman AL. National eye institute visual function questionnaire: usefulness in glaucoma. Optom Vis Sci. 2013;90(8):745–53.
21. Lee J-S, Lin K-K, Hou C-H, Li P-R, See L-C. Chinese Version of the Vision-Related Quality of Life (NEI-VFQ-25) among Patients with Various Ocular Disorders: A Pilot Study. Medicina (B Aires). 2022;58(5):602.
22. Ferris FL, Davis MD, Clemons TE, et al. A simplified severity scale for age-related macular degeneration: AREDS Report No. 18. Arch Ophthalmol (Chicago, Ill 1960). 2005 Nov;123(11):1570–4.
23. Sørensen MS, Andersen S, Henningsen GO, Larsen CT, Sørensen TL. Danish version of Visual Function Questionnaire-25 and its use in age-related macular degeneration. Dan Med Bull. 2011;58(6):A4290.
24. Mangione CM, Lee PP, Gutierrez PR, et al. Development of the 25-list-item national eye institute visual function questionnaire. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119(7):1050–8.
25. Cruess A, Zlateva G, Xu X, Rochon S. Burden of illness of neovascular age-related macular degeneration in Canada. Can J Ophthalmol. 2007;42(6):836–43.
26. Gattino S, De Piccoli N, Fassio O, Rollero C. Quality of life and sense of community. A study on health and place of residence. J Community Psychol. 2013;41(7):811–26.
27. Suñer IJ, Kokame GT, Yu E, Ward J, Dolan C, Bressler NM. Responsiveness of NEI VFQ-25 to Changes in Visual Acuity in Neovascular AMD: Validation Studies from Two Phase 3 Clinical Trials. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci [Internet]. 2009 Aug 1;50(8):3629–35. A
28. Sella E, Cellini N, Borella E. How elderly people’s quality of life relates to their sleep quality and sleep-related beliefs. Behav Sleep Med. 2022;20(1):112–24.
29. Caballe-Fontanet D, Alvarez-Peregrina C, Busquet-Duran N, Pedemonte-Sarrias E, Andreu-Vázquez C, Sánchez-Tena MÁ. Quality of life and anxiety in age macular degeneration patients: a cross-sectional study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022;19(2):820.
30. Akel R, El Darsa H, Anouti B, et al. Anxiety, depression and quality of life in breast cancer patients in the levant. Asian Pacific J Сancer Prev APJCP. 2017;18(10):2809.
31. Mitchell J, Bradley C. Quality of life in age-related macular degeneration: a review of the literature. Health Qual Life Outcomes [Internet]. 2006;4(1):97.