Main Article Content
Platelet-rich plasma, Facial skin rejuvenation, Periorbital dark circle
Background and aim of the work: Several studies have shown beneficial effects for Platelet-rich plasma (PRP). We aimed to assess the efficacy of pure PRP injection for facial rejuvenation in Iran.
Methods: 30 female consecutive participants were injected with PRP in two sessions with 3 month interval. Evaluations were performed by comparing the pre- and post-improvement measurements of skin scan, before after photography by participants, therapeutic physician and blindly by a second dermatologist.
Results: In 3 and 6 months follow-ups respectively, moderate to excellent improvement in periorbital dark circles (47.8,60.9%), periorbital wrinkles (73.9%,78.3%), nasolabial fold (52.2%,56.6%) and skin rigidity (52.3%,60.9%) reported by patients, was statistically significant only for dark circle(P value 0.031). Moderate to good improvement in periorbital dark circles (47.9%,74%), periorbital wrinkles (39.1%,43.5%)and nasolabial folds (4.3% ,13.1%) demonstrated by therapeutic physician‘s evaluation , was statistically significant for dark circle (P value 0.008) and nasolabial folds (P value 0.025). Moderate to good improvement in periorbital dark circles (34.8%, 52.2%), periorbital wrinkles (26.1%, 34.8%) and nasolabial folds (4.4%, 13%) by second dermatologist, was statistically significant for dark circle (P value 0.025).
Conclusion: Face rejuvenation with PRP is a promising and noninvasive technique with best results observed in improving periorbital dark circles and wrinkles.
2.Kohl E, Meierhöfer J, Koller M, Zeman F, Groesser L, Karrer S, et al. Fractional carbon dioxide laser resurfacing of rhytides and photoaged skin--a prospective clinical study on patient expectation and satisfaction. Lasers Surg Med. 2015;47:111-9.
3. Hui Q, Chang P, Guo B, Zhang Y, Tao K. The Clinical Efficacy of Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma Combined with Ultra-Pulsed Fractional CO2 Laser Therapy for Facial Rejuvenation. Rejuvenation Res. 2016 Jun 23.
4. Leo MS, Kumar AS, Kirit R, Konathan R, Sivamani RK. Systematic review of the use of platelet-rich plasma in aesthetic dermatology.J Cosmet Dermatol. 2015;14:315-23.
5. Arshdeep, Kumaran MS. Platelet-rich plasma in dermatology: boon or a bane? Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2014;80:5-14.
6. Rohrer TE, Wesley NO, Glogau R, Dover J. Evaluation of beauty and aging face In: Bolognia JL, Jorrizo JL, Schaffer JV, Callen PJ, et al, editors. Dermatology.3ed ed.UK:Elsevier:2012.Vol 3.p.2474-2475.
7. Shirvan M K, Alamdari D H, Ghoreifi A. A novel method for iatrogenic vesicovaginal fistula treatment: autologous platelet rich plasma injection and platelet rich fibrin glue interposition. J Urol. 2013;189:2125–2129.
8. Sclafani AP, Azzi J. Platelet Preparations for Use in Facial Rejuvenation and Wound Healing: A Critical Review of Current Literature.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2015;39:495-505.
9. Kim DS, Park SH, Park KC. Transforming growth factor-beta1 decreases melanin synthesis via delayed extracellular signal- regulated kinase activation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2004; 36:1482-1491
10. Redaelli A, Romano D, Marciano A. Face and neck revitalization with platelet-rich plasma (PRP): clinical outcome in a series of 23 consecutively treated patients. J Drugs Dermatol. 2010; 9: 466–72.
11. Mehryan P, Zartab H, Rajabi A, Pazhoohi N, Firooz A. Assessment of efficacy of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) on infraorbital dark circles and crow’s feet wrinkles. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2014; 13: 72–8.
12. Kang BK, Shin MK, Lee JH, Kim NI. Effects of platelet-rich plasma on wrinkles and skin tone in Asian lower eyelid skin: preliminary results from a prospective, randomised, split-face trial. Eur J Dermatol. 2014; 24: 100–1.
13. Yuksel EP, Sahin G, Aydin F, Senturk N, Turanli AY. Evaluation of effects of platelet-rich plasma on human facial skin. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2014;16:206–208.
14. Sclafani AP. Platelet-rich fibrin matrix for improvement of deep nasolabial folds. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2010; 9:66–71.
15. Shin MK, Lee JH, Lee SJ, Kim NI. Platelet-rich plasma combined with fractional laser therapy for skin rejuvenation. Dermatol Surg. 2012;38: 623–30.
16. Park KY, Kim IS, Kim BJ, Kim MN. Letter: autologous fat grafting and platelet-rich plasma for treatment of facial contour defects. Dermatol Surg. 2012; 38: 1572–4.
17. Willemsen JC, Lindenblatt N, Stevens HP. Results and long-term patient satisfaction after gluteal augmentation with platelet-rich plasma-enriched autologous fat. Eur J Plast Surg. 2013; 36: 777–82.
18. Rigotti G, Charles-de-Sá L, Gontijo-de-Amorim NF, Takiya CM, Amable PR, Borojevic R, et al. Expanded Stem Cells, Stromal-Vascular Fraction, and Platelet-Rich Plasma Enriched Fat: Comparing Results of Different Facial Rejuvenation Approaches in a Clinical Trial. Aesthet Surg J. 2016;36:261-70.