Main Article Content
Micronized purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF), topical medical device, rectal ointment composed by sucralfate and other herbal extracts, hemorrhoidal disease, perianal pain, itching
Hemorrhoidal disease is a very common disease characterized by the presence of a mucous prolapse of the rectum and by varicosis of the hemorrhoidal plexus. Medical therapy is mainly indicated for the treatment of symptoms such as bleeding, pain and itching. The use of the micronized purified flavonoid fraction (MPFF) has proven to be effective in treating symptoms of hemorrhoidal disease. Topical use of sucralfate has shown good results in the reduction of hemorrhoidal pain and itching. Our experience with three cases treated with combined use of MPFF and a topical medical device in the form of rectal ointment, composed by sucralfate and herbal (calendula, witch hazel leaf (hamamelis), chamomile) extracts, has shown good results in terms of pain and itching control and in edema reduction.
2. Perera N, Liolitsa D, Iype S, et al. Phlebotonics for haemorrhoids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;(8):CD004322.
3. van Tol RR, Kleijnen J, Watson AJM, et al. European Society of ColoProctology: guideline for haemorrhoidal disease. Colorectal Dis. 2020 Feb 17[Online ahead of print].
4. Gallo G, Martellucci J, Sturiale A, et al. Consensus statement of the Italian society of colorectal surgery (SICCR): management and treatment of hemorrhoidal disease. Tech Coloproctol. 2020;24(2):145-164.
5. Aziz Z, Huin WK, Badrul Hisham MD, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of micronized purified flavonoid fractions (MPFF) for haemorrhoids: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Complement Ther Med. 2018;39:49-55.
6. Caetano AC, Cunha C, Arroja B, et al. Role of a Micronized Purified Flavonoid Fraction as an Adjuvant Treatment to Rubber Band Ligation for the Treatment of Patients With Hemorrhoidal Disease: A Longitudinal Cohort Study. Ann Coloproctol. 2019;35(6):306-312.
7. Alvandipour M, Ala S, Tavakoli H, et al. Efficacy of 10% sucralfate ointment after anal fistulotomy: A prospective, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Int J Surg. 2016;36(Pt A):13-17.
8. Gupta PJ, Heda PS, Kalaskar S, et al. Topical sucralfate decreases pain after hemorrhoidectomy and improves healing: a randomized, blinded, controlled study. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008 Feb;51(2):231-4.