Main Article Content
hamstring avulsion, compartment syndrome, posterior thigh, antiplatelet therapy.
Background and aim of work: Posterior thigh compartment syndrome is a rare injury. We reported a case of a 49-year-old man developing posterior thigh compartment syndrome after an accidental fall at home causing hamstring tendon avulsion while assuming antiaggregant therapy. Methods: We decided to treat the patient with an immediate fasciotomy and tendon avulsion fixation with two anchors. Results: we managed to treat successfully our patient. Conclusions: We suggest to pay attention to a positive medical history for antiaggregant/anticoagulation therapy and to perform in the same surgical setting both fasciotomy and fixation.
1. Lee BY, Brancato RF, Park IH, Shaw WW. Management of compartmental syndrome. Diagnostic and surgical considerations. Am J Surg [Internet]. 1984 Sep [cited 2019 Sep 9];148(3):383–8. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6476231
2. Franco Postacchini, Ernest Ippolito AF. Ortopedia e traumatologia & medicina fisica e riabilitativa [Internet]. Antonio Delfino Editore, editor. 2006 [cited 2019 Aug 27]. 424 p. Available from: https://www.sonorityfestival.it/103581-ortopedia-e-traumatologia--medicina-fisica-e-riabilitativa
3. Blakeney WG, Zilko SR, Edmonston SJ, Schupp NE, Annear PT. Proximal hamstring tendon avulsion surgery: evaluation of the Perth Hamstring Assessment Tool. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017;25(6):1936–42.
4. Cohen S, Bradley J. Acute proximal hamstring rupture. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007;15(6):350–5.
5. Bencardino JT, Mellado JM. Hamstring Injuries of the Hip. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am [Internet]. 2005 Nov [cited 2019 Aug 4];13(4):677–90. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16275576
6. Mica L, Schwaller A, Stoupis C, Penka I, Vomela J, Vollenweider A. Avulsion of the hamstring muscle group: A follow-up of 6 adult non-athletes with early operative treatment. World J Surg. 2009;33(8):1605–10.
7. Klingele KE, Sallay PI. Surgical Repair of Complete Proximal Hamstring Tendon Rupture . Am J Sports Med [Internet]. 2002 Sep 30 [cited 2019 Sep 9];30(5):742–7. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12239012
8. Bodendorfer BM, Curley AJ, Kotler JA, Ryan JM, Jejurikar NS, Kumar A, et al. Outcomes After Operative and Nonoperative Treatment of Proximal Hamstring Avulsions: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Am J Sports Med. 2018;46(11):2798–808.
9. Brucker PU, Imhoff AB. Functional assessment after acute and chronic complete ruptures of the proximal hamstring tendons. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc [Internet]. 2005 Jul 16 [cited 2019 Aug 27];13(5):411–8. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s00167-004-0563-z
10. Clancey GJ. Acute posterior compartment syndrome in the thigh. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am [Internet]. 1985 Oct [cited 2019 Aug 4];67(8):1278–80. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4055854
11. BirnbaumJ. Recurrent compartment syndrome in the posterior thigh (letter). Am J Sport Med. 1983;
12. Peltokallio P, Med AH-T and FAI (Finland). S, 1985 undefined. The posterior compartment syndrome of the thigh in runners.
13. Raether PM, Lutter LD. Recurrent compartment syndrome in the posterior thigh. Report of a case. Am J Sports Med [Internet]. [cited 2019 Dec 14];10(1):40–3. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7053636
14. Ojike NI, Roberts CS, Giannoudis P V. Compartment syndrome of the thigh: A systematic review. Injury. 2010;41(2):133–6.
15. Oseto MC, Edwards JZ, Acus RW. Posterior Thigh Compartment Syndrome Associated With Hamstring Avulsion and Chronic Anticoagulation Therapy CASE REPORT [Internet]. [cited 2019 Aug 4]. Available from: www.orthobluejournal.com
16. Kakkar R, Ellis M, Fearon P V. Compartment syndrome of the thigh as a complication of anticoagulant therapy in a patient with a left ventricular assist device (Berlin Heart). Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;58(9):477–9.
17. Brandser EA, el-Khoury GY, Kathol MH, Callaghan JJ, Tearse DS. Hamstring injuries: radiographic, conventional tomographic, CT, and MR imaging characteristics. Radiology [Internet]. 1995 Oct [cited 2019 Aug 27];197(1):257–62. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7568833
18. Garret William E. Computed tomography of hamstring muscle strains..pdf. 1989.
19. Kwong Y, Patel J. Spontaneous complete hamstring avulsion causing posterior thigh compartment syndrome. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40(8):723–4.
20. Loloi J, Burton AT, Walsh LT, Sahu N, Jain R. Bilateral Compartment Syndrome in Intravenous Drug Abuse. Cureus. 2018;10(12).