Main Article Content
hamstring avulsion, compartment syndrome, posterior thigh, antiplatelet therapy.
Background and aim of work: Posterior thigh compartment syndrome is a rare injury. We reported a case of a 49-year-old man developing posterior thigh compartment syndrome after an accidental fall at home causing hamstring tendon avulsion while assuming antiaggregant therapy. Methods: We decided to treat the patient with an immediate fasciotomy and tendon avulsion fixation with two anchors. Results: we managed to treat successfully our patient. Conclusions: We suggest to pay attention to a positive medical history for antiaggregant/anticoagulation therapy and to perform in the same surgical setting both fasciotomy and fixation.
2. Franco Postacchini, Ernest Ippolito AF. Ortopedia e traumatologia & medicina fisica e riabilitativa [Internet]. Antonio Delfino Editore, editor. 2006 [cited 2019 Aug 27]. 424 p. Available from: https://www.sonorityfestival.it/103581-ortopedia-e-traumatologia--medicina-fisica-e-riabilitativa
3. Blakeney WG, Zilko SR, Edmonston SJ, Schupp NE, Annear PT. Proximal hamstring tendon avulsion surgery: evaluation of the Perth Hamstring Assessment Tool. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017;25(6):1936–42.
4. Cohen S, Bradley J. Acute proximal hamstring rupture. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007;15(6):350–5.
5. Bencardino JT, Mellado JM. Hamstring Injuries of the Hip. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am [Internet]. 2005 Nov [cited 2019 Aug 4];13(4):677–90. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16275576
6. Mica L, Schwaller A, Stoupis C, Penka I, Vomela J, Vollenweider A. Avulsion of the hamstring muscle group: A follow-up of 6 adult non-athletes with early operative treatment. World J Surg. 2009;33(8):1605–10.
7. Klingele KE, Sallay PI. Surgical Repair of Complete Proximal Hamstring Tendon Rupture . Am J Sports Med [Internet]. 2002 Sep 30 [cited 2019 Sep 9];30(5):742–7. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12239012
8. Bodendorfer BM, Curley AJ, Kotler JA, Ryan JM, Jejurikar NS, Kumar A, et al. Outcomes After Operative and Nonoperative Treatment of Proximal Hamstring Avulsions: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Am J Sports Med. 2018;46(11):2798–808.
9. Brucker PU, Imhoff AB. Functional assessment after acute and chronic complete ruptures of the proximal hamstring tendons. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc [Internet]. 2005 Jul 16 [cited 2019 Aug 27];13(5):411–8. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s00167-004-0563-z
10. Clancey GJ. Acute posterior compartment syndrome in the thigh. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am [Internet]. 1985 Oct [cited 2019 Aug 4];67(8):1278–80. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4055854
11. BirnbaumJ. Recurrent compartment syndrome in the posterior thigh (letter). Am J Sport Med. 1983;
12. Peltokallio P, Med AH-T and FAI (Finland). S, 1985 undefined. The posterior compartment syndrome of the thigh in runners.
13. Raether PM, Lutter LD. Recurrent compartment syndrome in the posterior thigh. Report of a case. Am J Sports Med [Internet]. [cited 2019 Dec 14];10(1):40–3. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7053636
14. Ojike NI, Roberts CS, Giannoudis P V. Compartment syndrome of the thigh: A systematic review. Injury. 2010;41(2):133–6.
15. Oseto MC, Edwards JZ, Acus RW. Posterior Thigh Compartment Syndrome Associated With Hamstring Avulsion and Chronic Anticoagulation Therapy CASE REPORT [Internet]. [cited 2019 Aug 4]. Available from: www.orthobluejournal.com
16. Kakkar R, Ellis M, Fearon P V. Compartment syndrome of the thigh as a complication of anticoagulant therapy in a patient with a left ventricular assist device (Berlin Heart). Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;58(9):477–9.
17. Brandser EA, el-Khoury GY, Kathol MH, Callaghan JJ, Tearse DS. Hamstring injuries: radiographic, conventional tomographic, CT, and MR imaging characteristics. Radiology [Internet]. 1995 Oct [cited 2019 Aug 27];197(1):257–62. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7568833
18. Garret William E. Computed tomography of hamstring muscle strains..pdf. 1989.
19. Kwong Y, Patel J. Spontaneous complete hamstring avulsion causing posterior thigh compartment syndrome. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40(8):723–4.
20. Loloi J, Burton AT, Walsh LT, Sahu N, Jain R. Bilateral Compartment Syndrome in Intravenous Drug Abuse. Cureus. 2018;10(12).