Main Article Content
Neglected volar subluxation ; metacarpophalangeal joint ; the thumb
We present an 30 year-old female patient with a volar subluxation of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb.Dislocation of the metacarpophalangeal joint is rare ; volar subluxation is much more rare. Open reduction was performed through a dorsal incision because of the soft tissue interposition. Ultimately, doctors in the emergency department should pay attention to volar MCPJ subluxation and it is important to assess collateral ligament stability after closed reduction.
1. Lourie GM, Gaston RG, Freeland AE. Collateral ligament injuries of the metacarpophalangeal joints of the fingers. Hand Clin. 2006;22:357–64.
2.Beck JD, Klena JC. Closed reduction and treatment of 2 volar thumb metacarpophalangeal dislocations: report of 2 cases. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36:665–9.
3. H. Senda, H. OkamotoPalmar dislocation of the thumb metacarpophalangeal joint: report of four cases and a review of the literature. J Hand Surg, 39E (3) (2014), pp. 276-281
4. M. Miyamoto, T. Hirayama, M. UchidaVolar dislocation of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb: a case report. J Hand Surg Br, 11 (1) (1986), pp. 51-54
5. Ip K C, Wong L Y, Yu S J. Dorsal dislocation of the MCP joint of the thumb: a case report. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2008;16(1):124–126.
6.Yüksel S, Adanır O, Beytemur O, Gülec MA. Volar dislocation of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb: A case report. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2017 Jul;51(4):352-354. doi: 10.1016/j.aott.2017.03.014. Epub 2017 Apr 27.
7. Patel MR, Bassini L. Irreducible palmar metacarpophalangeal joint dislocation due to junctura tendinum interposition: a case report and review of the literature. J Hand Surg Am 2000;25(1): 166- 72
8.S.Z. Glickel, O.A. Barron, R.G. EatonDislocations and ligament injuries in the digits.D.P. Green, R.N. Hotchkiss, W.C. Pederson (Eds.), Green's Operative Hand Surgery (4th ed.), Churchill Livingston, New York (1999), pp. 772-808
9. Lattanza L, Choi P. Metacarpophalangeal joint dislocations. In: Berger R, Weiss A, editors. Hand surgery. Philidephia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004.
10. S. Garcia Mata, A. Hidalgo Ovejero, M. Martinez GrandeVolar dislocation of the first metacarpophalangeal joint. A case report and review of the literature.Acta Orthop Belg, 57 (3) (1991), pp. 323-328
11.Wood MB, Dobyns JH. Chronic, complex volar dislocation of the metacarpophalangeal joint. J Hand Surg Am. 1981;6:73–6.
12 Vishnu CP, Amit S, Aditya S,Edward M. Volar dislocation of the thumb metacarpophalangeal joint with acute repair of the ulnar collateral ligament. Case Reports Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2014; 1(1): 5–7.
13. B. StenerDisplacement of the ruptured ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb. A clinical and anatomical study.J Bone Jt Surg, 44 (1) (1962), pp. 869-879
14.Helm RH. Hand function after injuries to the collateral ligaments of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb. J Hand Surg Br. 1987;12:252–5.