Main Article Content
aortic aneurysm, abdominal, endoleak, angiography, digital subtraction, contrast-enhanced ultrasound, intraoperative procedure
Type Ia endoleak (EL) after endovascular abdominal aortic repair (EVAR) may be misdiagnosed at completion angiography. Intraoperative contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) may play a role in early detection and immediate treatment of type Ia EL.
From January 2017 to April 2018, patients treated with EVAR underwent intraoperative CEUS. After endograft deployment and ballooning, digital subtraction angiography (DSA) and intraoperative CEUS were performed in a blinded fashion. All cases of type Ia EL at DSA or CEUS were considered.
Type Ia EL detected at intraoperative CEUS and undetected at DSA was defined in 2 patients. The former was solved with intraoperative re-ballooning; in the latter case, a Palmaz stent deployment was required. The resolution of type Ia EL was detected at intraoperative CEUS control and post-operative computed tomography angiography (CTA).
In another patient, the DSA detected a type Ia EL, but intraoperative CEUS reveal a type II EL from lumbar arteries. Post-operative CTA confirm the type II EL.
The reported cases prove the clinical utility of the intraoperative CEUS, permitting the early identification of 2 type Ia EL. In addition, the intraoperative CEUS is useful in case of dubious type Ia EL at DSA, avoiding unnecessary intraoperative adjunctive procedure or post-operative CTA.
2. Schulz CJ, Schmitt M, Böckler D, Geisbüsch P. Intraoperative contrast-enhanced cone beam computed tomography to assess technical success during endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Sep;64(3):577-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.02.045. Epub 2016 Apr 19.
3. Ormesher DC, Lowe C, Sedgwick N, McCollum CN, Ghosh J. Use of three-dimensional contrast-enhanced duplex ultrasound imaging during endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Dec;60(6):1468-72. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2014.08.095. Epub 2014 Oct 3.
4. Bredahl KK, Taudorf M, Lönn L, Vogt KC, Sillesen H, Eiberg JP. Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound can Replace Computed Tomography Angiography for Surveillance After Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2016 Dec;52(6):729-734. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2016.07.007. Epub 2016 Oct 17.
5. Bianchini Massoni C, Perini P, Fanelli M, Ucci A, Rossi G, Azzarone M, Tecchio T, Freyrie A. Intraoperative Contrast-enhanced Ultrasound for Early Diagnosis of Endoleaks during Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair. J Vasc Surg [in press].
6. Iezzi R, Cotroneo AR, Basilico R, Simeone A, Storto ML, Bonomo L. Endoleaks after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm: value of CEUS. Abdom Imaging. 2010 Feb;35(1):106-14. doi: 10.1007/s00261-009-9526-7. Epub 2009 May 15.
7. Hertault A, Maurel B, Pontana F, Martin-Gonzalez T, Spear R, Sobocinski J, et al. Benefits of Completion 3D Angiography Associated with Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound to Assess Technical Success after EVAR. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2015 May;49(5):541-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2015.01.010. Epub 2015 Mar 7.
8. Perini P, Sediri I, Midulla M, Delsart P, Mouton S, Gautier C, et al. Single-centre prospective comparison between contrast-enhanced ultrasound and computed tomography angiography after EVAR. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011 Dec;42(6):797-802. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2011.09.003. Epub 2011 Oct 1.
9. Perini P, Sediri I, Midulla M, Delsart P, Gautier C, Haulon S. Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Vs. CT-Angiography in Fenestrated EVAR Follow-up. A Single-Centre Comparison. J Endovasc Ther 2012;19(5):648-655.
10. Gargiulo M, Gallitto E, Serra C, Freyrie A, Mascoli C, Bianchini Massoni C, et al. Could Four-dimensional Contrast-enhanced Ultrasound Replace Computed Tomography Angiography During Follow up of Fenestrated Endografts? Results of a Preliminary Experience. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2014 Nov;48(5):536-42. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2014.05.025. Epub 2014 Jul 9.