Main Article Content
periprosthetic shoulder fractures, RTSA, complications, management, humeral fracture
Background and aim of the work: Post-operative periprosthetic shoulder fractures incidence is gradually raising due to aging of population and increasing of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty (RTSA). Management of this complication represents a challenge for the orthopedic surgeon. Aim of the present study is to critically review the recent literature about epidemiology, risk factors, diagnosis, management and outcome of post-operative periprosthetic humeral fractures occurring on RTSA. Methods: A systematic search of Embase, Medline and Pubmed was performed by two reviewers who selected the eligible papers favoring studies published in the last ten years. Epidemiology, risk factors, diagnostic features, clinical management and outcome of different techniques were all reviewed. Results: 31 studies including reviews, meta-analysis, case reports, clinical and biomechanical studies were selected. Conclusions: Correct clinical management requires adequate diagnosis and evaluation of risk factors. Conservative treatment is rarely indicated. Locking plate fixation and revision arthroplasty are both valuable treatment methods. Surgical technique should be chosen considering age and functional demand, comorbidities, fracture morphology and location, bone quality and stability of the implant. Given the correct indication all surgical treatment can lead to satisfactory clinical and radiographic results despite a relevant complication rate.
2. Smith Cd, guyver P, Bunker td. Indications for reverse shoulder replacement: A systematic review. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2012;94:577-83.
3. Frankle M, Siegal s, Pupello d, et al. The Reverse shoulder prosthesis for glenohumeral arthritis associated with severe rotator cuff deficiency. A minimum two-year follow-up study of sixty patients. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 2005;87:1697-705.
4. Werner CM, steinmann Pa, gilbart M, gerber C. Treatment of painful pseudoparesis due to irreparable rotator cuff dysfunction with the Delta III reverse-ball-and socket total shoulder prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 2005;87:1476-86.
5. Affonso J, nicholson gP, frankle Ma, et al. Complications of the reverse prosthesis: prevention and treatment. Instr Course Lect 2012;61:157-68.
6. Wierks C, skolasky rl, Ji JH, Mcfarland Eg. Reverse total shoulder replacement. Intraoperative and early postoperative complications. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009;467:225-34.
7. Schairer WW, Nwachukwu BU, Lyman S, et al. National utilization of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in the United States. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2015; 24: 91–7.
8. Groh GI, Groh GM. Complications rates, reoperation rates, and the learning curve in reverse shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014;23(3):388-94.
9. García-Fernández C, Lópiz-Morales Y, Rodríguez A, López-Durán L, Martínez FM. Periprosthetic humeral fractures associated with reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: incidence and management. Int Orthop. 2015;39(10):1965-9.
10. Singh JA, Sperling J, Schleck C, Harmsen W, Cofield R (2012) Periprosthetic fractures associated with primary total shoulder arthroplasty and primary humeral head replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:1777–1785
11. Kim sH, Wise Bl, Zhang Y, szabo rM. Increasing incidence of shoulder arthroplasty in the United States. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93:2249-54.
12. Mineo GV, Accetta R, Franceschini M et al(2013) Management of shoulder periprosthetic fractures: our institutional experience and review of the literature. Injury 44(S1):S82–85
13. Greiner S, Stein V, Scheibel M (2011) Periprosthetic humeral fractures after shoulder and elbow arthroplasty. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cechoslov 78(6):490–500
14. Rittmeister M, Kerschbaumer f. Grammont reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and non reconstructible rotator cuff lesions. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2001;10:17-22.
15. Ekelund a, nyberg r. Can reverse shoulder arthroplasty be used with few complications in rheumatoid arthritis? Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011;469:2483-8.
16. Athwal GS, Sperling JW, Rispoli DM et al (2009) Periprosthetic humeral fractures during shoulder arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:594–603
17. Kumar S, Sperling JW, Haidukewych GH, Cofield RH. Periprosthetic humeral fractures after shoulder arthroplasty. JBJS Am 2004;86:6809.
18. Wright TW, Cofield RH. Humeral fractures after shoulder arthroplasty. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1995 131 Sep;77(9):1340–1346.
19. Campbell JT, Moore RS, Iannotti JP et al (1998) Periprosthetic humeral fractures: mechanisms of fracture and treatment options. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 7:406–413
20. Groh GI, Heckman MM, Wirth MA et al (2008) Treatment of fractures adjacent to humeral prostheses. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:85–89
21. Kirchhoff Chlodwig & Marc Beirer & Ulrich Brunner & Arne Buchholz & Peter Biberthaler & Moritz Crönlein - Validation of a new classification for periprosthetic shoulder fractures - SICOT aisbl 2018
22. Chul-Hyun Cho, MD, Kwang-Soon Song, MD, Tae-Won Koo, MD Clinical Outcomes and Complications during the Learning Curve for Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: An Analysis of the First 40 Cases. Clinics in Orthopedic Surgery 2017;9:213-217
23. Kempton LB, Ankerson E, Wiater JM. A complication based learning curve from 200 reverse shoulder arthroplasties. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469(9):2496-504
24. Boileau, Complication and revision of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty Orthopedic & Traumatology Surgery & Research 102(2016) S33-S43
25. Angelini A, Battiato C (2015) Past and present of the use of cerclage wires in orthopedics. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 25: 623–635
26. Cameron B, Iannottu JP (1999) Periprosthetic of the humerus and scapula: management and prevention. Orthop Clin N Am 30:305– 318
27. King JJ, Farmer KW, Struk AM, Wright TW (2015) Uncemented versus cemented humeral stem fixation in reverse shoulder arthroplasty. Int Orthop 39:291–298
28. Thes Andre´, Shahnaz Klouche, Marine de Tienda, Thomas Bauer, Philippe Hardy, Cortical onlay strut allograft with cerclage wiring of periprosthetic fractures of the humerus without stem loosening: technique and preliminary results. TECHNICAL NOTE • SHOULDER – ARTHROPLASTY Springer-Verlag France 2017
29. Sanchez-Sotelo J, Wright TW, O’Driscoll SW, Cofield RH, Rowland CM: Radiographic assessment of uncemented humeral components in total shoulder arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2001;16:180-187.
30. Wierks C, Skolasky RL, JiJH, McFarland EG (2009) Reverse total shoulder replacement: intraoperative and early postoperative complications. Clin Orthop Relat Res 467(1):225–234
31. Boyd AD, Jr, Thornhill TS, Barnes CL. Fractures adjacent to humeral prostheses. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992;74(10):1498–1504.