Main Article Content
fibula, stress, fracture, sport, adolescence
Fibular fractures are the third most common stress fractures in children and adolescents. Proximal fibular location is a very rare finding, with few reports in the literature and, frequently, careful investigations before a definitive diagnosis could be necessary. The authors report a case of an adolescent 13 years old soccer player with a proximal fibular fracture that was initially underestimated and misdiagnosed and ultimately confirmed as a stress lesion by MRI.
2) Daffner RH, Pavlov H. Stress fractures: current concepts. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1992; 159: 245-52.
3) Breithaupt. Zur pathologie des menschlichen fubes. MedZeitg 1855; 24: 169-77.
4) Orava S, Jormakka E, Hulkko A. Stress fractures in young athletes. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1981; 98(4): 271-4.
5) Blair WF, Hanley SR. Stress fracture of the proximal fibula. Am J Sports Med 1980 May-Jun; 8(3): 212-3.
6) Dalton SE. Overuse injuries in adolescent athletes. Sports Med 1992; 13: 58-70.
7) Orava S, Puranen J. Exertion injuries in adolescent athletes. Br J Sports Med 1978; 12: 4-10.
8) Lacroix H, Keeman JN. An unusual stress fracture of the fibula in a long-distance runner. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1992; 111(5): 289-90.
9) Di Fiori JP. Stress fracture of the proximal fibula in a young soccer player: a case report and a review of the literature. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise July 1999; 31(7): 925-8.
10) Hong SH, Chu IT. Stress fracture of the proximal fibula in military recruits. Clin Orthop Surg 2009 Sep; 1(3): 161-4.
11) Bennell KL, Malcolm SA, Thomas SA, et al. The incidence and distribution of stress fracture in the competitive track and field athletes. Am J Sports Med 1996; 24: 211–7.
12) Devas MB. Stress fractures in children. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1963; 45: 528–41.
13) Sarpong NO, Levitsky M, Held M, Coury J, Greisberg J. Isolated fibular stress fractures: radiographic parameters. Foot an ankle surgery 2020; 26: 935-8.
14) Woods M, Kijowski R, Sanford M, Choi J, De Smet A. Magnetic resonance imaging findings in patients with fibular stress injuries. Skeletal Radiol 2008 Sep; 37(9): 835-41.
15) Diehl JJ, Best TM, Kaeding CC. Classification and return-to-play considerations for stress fractures. Clin Sports Med 2006 Jan; 25(1): 17-28.
16) Arendt EA, Griffiths HJ. The use of MR imaging in the assessment and clinical management of stress reactions of bone in high-performance athletes. Clin Sports Med 1997; 16: 291–306.