Main Article Content
chronic itchy skin, combined treatment, Dupixent, itch, monoclonal antibody
Chronic pruritus (CP) is one of the most frequent symptoms among dermatological conditions, capable of reducing the quality of life (QoL). CP may be induced by atopic dermatitis or other dermatological and/or non-dermatological conditions. In this article, we report the case of a patient affected by generalized CP, characterised by multiple papulo-nodular and escoriatic lesions, developed after the onset of an immunoglobulin G (IgG) kappa monoclonal gammopathy of renal significance (MGRS), associated with renal insufficiency. Therefore, a combined treatment with dupilumab for CP and bortezomib for the hematologic malignancy was administered to the patient. The present case report highlights the efficacy of dupilumab for the treatment of CP. Moreover, no relevant side effects were recorded during the treatment in combination with other systemic biological drugs for other systemic pathologies.
2. Grundmann S, Ständer S. Chronic pruritus: clinics and treatment. Ann Dermatol. 2011 Feb;23(1):1-11. doi: 10.5021/ad.2011.23.1.1.
3. Deleuran M, Thaçi D, Beck LA, et al. Dupilumab shows long-term safety and efficacy in patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis enrolled in a phase 3 open-label extension study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Feb;82(2):377-388. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2019.07.074.
4. Beck LA, Deleuran M, Bissonnette R. et al. Dupilumab Provides Acceptable Safety and Sustained Efficacy for up to 4 Years in an Open-Label Study of Adults with Moderate-to-Severe Atopic Dermatitis. Am J Clin Dermatol,2022; 23:393-408. doi: 10.1007/s40257-022-00685-0.
5. Zhai LL, Savage KT, Qiu CC, et al. Chronic Pruritus Responding to Dupilumab—A Case Series. Medicines 2019 Jun 29;6(3):72. doi: 10.3390/medicines6030072.
6. Legat FJ. Itch in Atopic Dermatitis - What Is New? Front Med (Lausanne). 2021 May 7;8:644760. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2021.644760.
7. Woo YR, Jung YJ, Kim JS, et al. Cutaneous comorbidities in patients with multiple myeloma: A 10-year retrospective cohort study from a Korean population. Medicine. 2018 Oct;97(43):e12825. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000012825.
8. Silverberg JI, Brieva J. A successful case of dupilumab treatment for severe uremic pruritus. JAAD Case Rep. 2019 Apr 3;5(4):339-341. doi: 10.1016/j.jdcr.2019.01.024.
9. Gu C, Wu Y, Luo Y, et al. Real-world efficacy and safety of dupilumab in Chinese patients with atopic dermatitis: a single-centre, prospective, open-label study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2022 Jul;36(7):1064-1073. doi: 10.1111/jdv.18109.
10. Owji S, Dubin DP, Yassky D, et al. Dupilumab in Multiple Myeloma: A Case Series. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2022 Dec;22(12):928-932. doi: 10.1016/j.clml.2022.09.002.