Home rehabilitation using android-based system as booster on the independences of stroke patients in local government hospital in Aceh, Indonesia
Main Article Content
Independence, Self-care, Rehabilitation, Stroke Disease, Aceh
Methods: The quantitative research was conducted using a non-randomized trial where the patients were purposively sampled. 70 participants were joined and divided into two groups: the control and intervention groups. The intervention group will have SIMTROKE application on their smartphone as the home rehabilitation process where control group would not have SIMTROKE installed. The effect of home rehabilitation was assessed by univariate, bivariate analysis and the correlation matrix to analyze home rehabilitation effect to the participants’ self independences.
Results: The result showed that the independent intervention in post-stroke patients has a significant effect on increasing the independence of stroke patients to improve their quality of life of stroke patients. The highest improvements were found in urination and toileting followed by defecation, dressing, active and phase motion range, self-care, stepping to stairs, mobilization, showering, and eating abilities.
Conclusions: The result proved that home rehabilitation utilizing an Android-based system could be employed as an alternate method to assist stroke patients in improving their independence and quality of life. (www.actabiomedica.it)
2. Rodríguez-Campello A, Jiménez-Conde J, Ois Á, et al. Dietary habits in patients with ischemic stroke: a case-control study. PLoS One. 2014; 9(12): e114716.
3. Setyopranoto I, Bayuangga HF, Panggabean AS, et al. Prevalence of Stroke and Associated Risk Factors in Sleman District of Yogyakarta Special Region, Indonesia. Stroke Res Treat. 2019; 2019: 2642458. DOI: 10.1155/2019/2642458.
4. Ministry of Health or Republic of Indonesia [Internet]. Hasil Utama Riskesdas Tahun 2018. 2018 [cited 2022 September 22]. Available from: https://www.litbang.kemkes.go.id/.
5. Trisetiawati L, Yuniar P, Besral. Recurrent Stroke among Patients at Indonesia’s National Brain Center Hospital: Contributing Factors. KnE Life Sciences. 2018; 4: 19-26. DOI: 10.18502/kls.v4i4.2259.
6. Lewis SL, Dirksen SR, Heitkemper MM, Bucher L. Medical Surgical Nursing. 9th ed. St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby-Year Book, Inc.; 2011.
7. Salvadori E, Papi G, Insalata G, et al. Comparison between Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Strokes in Functional Outcome at Discharge from an Intensive Rehabilitation Hospital. Diagnostics (Basel). 2020; 11(1): 38. DOI: 10.3390/diagnostics11010038.
8. Advani R, Naess H, Kurz MW. The golden hour of acute ischemic stroke. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine. 2017; 25(1): 54. DOI: 10.1186/s13049-017-0398-5.
9. Nicol MB., Thrift AG. Knowledge of risk factors and warning signs of stroke. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2005;1(2): 137-47. DOI: 10.2147/vhrm.22.214.171.124085.
10. Spaccavento S, Marinelli CV, Nardulli R, et al. Attention Deficits in Stroke Patients: The Role of Lesion Characteristics, Time from Stroke, and Concomitant Neuropsychological Deficits. Behavioural Neurology. 2019; 2019: 7835710. DOI: 10.1155/2019/7835710.
11. Sun X, Xu K, Shi Y, et al. Discussion on the Rehabilitation of Stroke Hemiplegia Based on Interdisciplinary Combination of Medicine and Engineering. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2021; 2021: 6631835. DOI: 10.1155/2021/6631835.
12. Dobkin BH. Strategies for stroke rehabilitation. Lancet Neurol. 2004; 3(9): 528-36. DOI: 10.1016/S1474-4422(04)00851-8.
13. Dharma KK., Damhudi D, Yardes N, Haeriyanto S. Increase in the functional capacity and quality of life among stroke patients by family caregiver empowerment program based on adaptation model. International Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2018; 5(4): 357-64. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnss.2018.09.002.
14. Agianto A, Kamilah A, Agustina R. Stroke Traditional Therapy in the Community in Indonesia. KnE Life Sciences. 2022; 2022: 240-253. DOI: 10.18502/kls.v7i2.10319.
15. Stephenson A, Howes S, Murphy P J. et al. Factors influencing the delivery of telerehabilitation for stroke: A systematic review. PLOS ONE. 2022;17(5): e0265828. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0265828.
16. Statista. Market share of mobile operating systems in Indonesia from January 2013 to October 2022, by operating system. 2022 [cited 2022 September 20]. Available from: https://www.statista.com/.
17. Andrew NE., Kilkenny M, Naylor R, et al. Understanding long-term unmet needs in Australian survivors of stroke. Int J Stroke. 2014; 9 Suppl A100:106-112. DOI: 10.1111/ijs.12325.
18. Ya-Chen L, Sheng-Shiung C, Chia-Lin K, I-Ping H, Kai-Ping Y, Ching-Lin H. Development of two Barthel Index-based Supplementary Scales for patients with stroke. PLoS One. 2014; 9(10): e110494. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0110494.
19. Khandakar A, Chowdhury MEH, Reaz MB., et al. A machine learning model for early detection of diabetic foot using thermogram images. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2021; 137: 104838. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2021.104838.
20. Arboix A. Cardiovascular risk factors for acute stroke: Risk profiles in the different subtypes of ischemic stroke. World J Clin Cases. 2015; 3(5): 418-429. DOI: 10.12998/wjcc.v3.i5.418.
21. Ruokolainen O, Härkänen T, Lahti J, Haukkala A, Heliövaara M, Rahkonen O. Association between educational level and smoking cessation in an 11-year follow-up study of a national health survey. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 2021; 49(8): 951-960. DOI: 10.1177/1403494821993721.
22. Yousufuddin M, Young N. Aging and ischemic stroke. Aging (Albany NY). 2019; 11(9): 2542-2544. DOI: 10.18632/aging.101931.
23. Reeves, Mathew J., Bushnell, Cheryl D., Howard, George, et al. Sex differences in stroke: epidemiology, clinical presentation, medical care, and outcomes. Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7(10): 915-926. DOI: 10.1016/S1474-4422(08)70193-5.
24. Baer, Caroline M., Khoussine, Michaela A., Dobbs, Page D. Tobacco prevention education for middle school and high school educators. Health Education Journal. 2020; 80(1): 16-27. DOI: 10.1177/0017896920950344.
25. Mahmoodabad SSM, Abdollahi SZ., Lotfi MH. Designing an educational campaign intervention on smoking preventive behaviors in students: A protocol. J Educ Health Promot. 2021; 10: 381. DOI: 10.4103/jehp.jehp_1667_20.
26. Sadeghi R, Mahjoob MP., Asadollahi M, Abbasi Z. Prevalence, main determinants, and early outcome of patients with atrial fibrillation hospitalized with ischemic stroke: evaluation of the value of risk assessment scores for predicting risk of stroke or major bleeding following anticoagulation therapy. Acta Biomedica Atenei Parmensis. 2015; 86(2):162-169.
27. Billinger SA, Arena R, Bernhardt J, et al. Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Stroke Survivors: A Statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke. 2014; 45(8): 2532-2553. DOI: 10.1161/STR.0000000000000022.
28. Poisson SN, Johnston C, Josephson SA. Urinary Tract Infections Complicating Stroke. Stroke. 2010; 41(4): e180-e4. DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.109.576413
29. Kristensen HK, Tistad M, Koch Lv, Ytterberg C. The Importance of Patient Involvement in Stroke Rehabilitation. PLoS One. 2016; 11(6): e0157149. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0157149.
30. Morris JH, MacGillivray S, McFarlane S. Interventions to Promote Long-Term Participation in Physical Activity After Stroke: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014; 95(5): 956-967. DOI: 10.1016/j.apmr.2013.12.016.
31. Nursiswati N, Halfens RJG, Lohrmann C. Change in Care Dependency of Stroke Patients: A Longitudinal and Multicenter Study. Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2017; 11(2): 113-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.anr.2017.05.005.
32. Kwakkel G, Kollen B, Twisk J. Impact of time on improvement of outcome after stroke. Stroke. 2006; 37(9): 2348-53. DOI: 10.1161/01.STR.0000238594.91938.1e.
33. Lee KB, Lim SH, Kim KH. et al. Six-month functional recovery of stroke patients: a multi-time-point study. Int J Rehabil Res. 2015; 38(2): 173-80. DOI: 10.1097/MRR.0000000000000108.
34. Wilkins KB, Owen M, Ingo C, Carmona C, Dewald JPA, Yao J. Neural Plasticity in Moderate to Severe Chronic Stroke Following a Device-Assisted Task-Specific Arm/Hand Intervention. Front Neurol. 2017; 8: 284. DOI: 10.3389/fneur.2017.00284.
35. Pugliese M, Ramsay T, Shamloul R, et al. RecoverNow: A mobile tablet-based therapy platform for early stroke rehabilitation. PLoS One. 2019; 14(1): e0210725. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0210725.