Main Article Content
Empowerment, Manager, Nursing
Abstract. Aim of the work. Nurses were the most numerous healthcare workers employed in the current Italian healthcare systems. By considering them the driving force of the healthcare systems, the present study aimed to investigate which socio-demographic characteristics in nurses could influence empowerment promoted by their managers, by understanding what socio-demographic characteristics influenced the nursing manager empowerment and could help nursing managers to perform their empowerment approaches by highlighting strengths or weaknesses. Methods. An on-line, observational, multicenter, cross- sectional study was conducted by recruiting a total of 126 nurses. Results. Negative and significant correlations and associations were recorded between all the Empowering Leadership Questionnaire sub dimensions and age (p<.05). Data reported linear and significant associations between all the five sub dimensions of the ELQ and age (p<.05), as younger nurses more perceived their nursing managers’ empowerment presence than their older colleagues, too. Conclusions. Empowerment is a very complex topic in the nursing practice in which managers should be aware of the role of empowerment in promoting work engagement and effectiveness and differential effects on new graduates and more experienced nurses.
2. Faulkner J, Laschinger H. The effects of structural and psychological empowerment on perceived respect in acute care nurses. Journal of Nursing Management 2008; 16(2): 214–221.
3. Bonesso S, Gerli F, Zampieri R, Boyatzis RE. Updating the Debate on Behavioral Competency Development: State of the Art and Future Challenges. Frontiers in psychology 2020; 11: 1267.
4. Janicijevic I, Seke K, Djokovic A, Filipović TP. Healthcare workers satisfaction and patient satisfaction - where is the linkage? Hippokratia 2013; 17(2): 157-62 .
5. Broom C. Empowering students: Pedagogy that benefits educators and learners. Citizenship, Social and Economics Education. 2015; 14(2):79-86.
6. Ramanujam R, Rousseau DM. The challenges are organizational not just clinical. Journal of Organizational Behavior 2006; 27(7): 811- 827.
7. Calvès AE. Empowerment: The History of a Key Concept in Contemporary Development Discourse, Revue Tiers Monde 2009; 200(4): 735-749.
8. Tsubouchi Y, Yorozuya K, Tainosyo A, Naito Y. A conceptual analysis of older adults’ empowerment in contemporary japanese culture. BMC Geriatrics 2021; 21.
9. Mannion R, Davies H. Understanding organizational culture for healthcare quality improvement BMJ 2018; 363: k4907.
10. Speziale G. Strategic management of a healthcare organization: engagement, behavioural indicators, and clinical performance. European Heart Journal Supplements 2015; 17: A3–A7.
11. Vitale E, Germini F. Nurse coaching improves healthy conditions: an integrative review of the literature. Italian Journal of Medicine 2021; 15: 135-144.
12. Vitale E, Cesano E, Germini F. Prevalence of Burnout among Italian Nurses: a descriptive study. Acta Bio-medica: Atenei Parmensis 2020; 91(4): e2020117.
13. Labrague LJ, Al Hamdan Z, McEnroe– Petitte DM. An integrative review on conflict management styles among nursing professionals: implications for nursing management. J Nurs Manag. 2018; 26: 902– 917.
14. Barrett EA. Power as knowing participation in change: what's new and what's next. Nursing science quarterly 2010; 23(1): 47–54.
15. Singh BM, Chatterjee K. Concept of Nursing Empowerment. International Journal of Science and Research 2015; 6(8): 1458-1460.
16. Kuokkanen L, Leino-Kilpi H. Power and empowerment in nursing: Three theoretical approaches. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2000; 31(1): 235–241.
17. Bradbury-Jones C, Sambrook S, Irvine F. Power and empowerment in nursing: a fourth theoretical approach. J Adv Nurs. 2008; 62(2):258-66.
18. Arnold JA, Arad S, Rhoades JA, Drasgow, F. The empowering leadership questionnaire: The construction and validation of a new scale for measuring leader behaviors’. Journal of Organizational Behavior 2000; 21(3): 249-269.
19. Bobbio A, Manganelli Rattazzi AM, Muraro M. Empowering Leadership Style in ambito sanitario. Uno studio sul managere infermieristico. GIMLE 2007; 29(1): A37-A49.
20. Larsson I, Jormfeldt H. Perspectives on power relations in human health and well-being. International journal of qualitative studies on health and well-being 2017; 12(1): 1358581.
21. Parsons ML, Cornett PA, Golightly-Jenkins C. Creating healthy workplaces: laying the groundwork by listening to nurse managers. Nurse Leader 2006; 4(3): 34–39.
22. Manojlovich M. Power and empowerment in nursing: looking backward to inform the future. Online J Issues Nurs. 2007; 12(1): 2.