Main Article Content
SARS-Cov2, iron homeostasis, hyperinflammation, abnormal coagulation
A comment to paper published in the current issue by Duca et al (Acta Biomed 2022; Vol. 93, N. 2: e2022057 - DOI 10.23750/abm.v93i2.12937 - https://mattioli1885journals.com/index.php/actabiomedica/article/view/12937). The paper demonstrated a link between deregulated iron homeostasis and hyperinflammation in nontreated COVID-19 patients. Iron homeostasis links two generally accepted COVID-initiated pathological events: hyperinflammation and abnormal fibrin clotting. Intensive research is needed to look for the ways how to support and recover FeH in COVID infected patients.
(2) Zhou C, Chen Y, Ji Y, He X, Xue D. Increased Serum Levels of Hepcidin and Ferritin Are Associated with Severity of COVID-19. Med Sci Monit. 2020; 26: e926178.
(3) Nai A, Lorè NI, Pagani A, De Lorenzo R, Di Modica S, Saliu F, et al. Hepcidin levels predict Covid-19 severity and mortality in a cohort of hospitalized Italian patients. Am J Hematol. 2021; 96: 32-35.
(4) Sukhomlin T. Hepcidin is a friend rather than a foe in COVID19-induced complications. Acta Biomed. 2020; 91(4):e2020138.
(5) Sukhomlin T. Hypothesis: Local Hepcidin Controls Abnormal Fibrosis Induced by Sars-Cov-2 via Regulation of Local Iron Homeostasis. Ann Food Process Preserv. 2021; 5(1): 1028.
(6) Ibañez C, Perdomo J, Calvo A, Ferrando C, Reverter JC, Tassies D, et al. High D dimers and low global fibrinolysis coexist in COVID19 patients: what is going on in there? J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020; 15: 1-5.
(7) Pretorius E, Lipinski B. Differences in morphology of fibrin clots induced with thrombin and ferric ions and its pathophysiological consequences. Heart Lung Circ. 2013; 22(6):447-9.
(8) Ghio AJ, Carter JD, Richards JH, Richer LD, Grissom CK, Elstad MR. Iron and iron-related proteins in the lower respiratory tract of patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2003; 31: 395-400.
(9) Sukhomlin T. Fibrinolysis Shutdown in COVID-19-Infected Patients Can Result from Iron-Induced Stabilization of Fibril Clots. J Am Coll Surg. 2020; 231(5): 607-608.
(10) Gupta Y, Maciorowski D, Medernach B, Becker DP, Durvasula R, Libertin CR, Kempaiah P. Iron dysregulation in COVID-19 and reciprocal evolution of SARS-CoV-2: Natura nihil frustra facit. J Cell Biochem. 2022; 123(3): 601-619.