Main Article Content
CML, AVN, TKIs
Abstract. Objective: Avascular necrosis (AVN)has been encountered in hematological malignancies; nonetheless, AVN is extremely uncommon in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). This review aims to describe the pathophysiology, clinical characteristics, and outcomes of AVN in CML. To our knowledge, this is the first systematic review of this topic. Methods: We searched PubMed and Google Scholar for the case reports and series of patients with CML who developed AVN from inception to July 2021. Results: We found 21 cases of AVN in CML patients,17 cases with avascular necrosis of the femoral head (AVNFH), and four cases with osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). The median age was 39 years with an almost equal distribution between males and females (ratio of 1:1). AVN related to CML management has been linked to tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs) and standard interferon-alpha (IFN-α) therapies. Only six (out of 17) patients who developed AVN of the femoral head eventually required a hip replacement, and one (out of 17) developed a recurrent episode of AVNFH. All the reported cases of CML with osteonecrosis of the jaw were associated with TKIs therapy. Conclusion: Clinician should consider AVN in any CML patient complaining of either hip or jaw pain. IFN-α and TKI therapies can predispose to AVN in CML patients. Further studies are required for a better understanding of this condition in CML.
2. Lespasio MJ, Sodhi N, Mont MA. Osteonecrosis of the Hip: A Primer. Perm J. 2019;23:18-100.
3. Petek D, Hannouche D, Suva D. Osteonecrosis of the femoral head: pathophysiology and current concepts of treatment. EFORT Open Rev 2019;4:85–97.
4. Pelaz A, Junquera L, Gallego L, et al. Epidemiology, pharmacology and clinical characterization of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. A retrospective study of 70 cases. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2015;66:139–47.
5. Etienne G, Mont MA, Ragland PS.The diagnosis and treatment of nontraumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Instr Course Lect 2004; 53:67–85
6. Faderl S, Talpaz M, Estrov Z, et al.The biology of chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:164–72.
7. Turkina A, Wang J, Mathews V, et al.TARGET: a survey of real-world management of chronic myeloid leukaemia across 33 countries. Br J Haematol 2020;190:869–76.
8. Yassin M, Al-Dewik N, Nashwan A, Soliman A. A Vascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head Is It an Initial Presentation of CML or Consequences of Therapies (Interferon alpha and Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors). Blood 2015;126:5143.
9. Yoon B-H, Mont MA, Koo K-H, et al. The 2019 Revised Version of Association Research Circulation Osseous Staging System of Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head. J Arthroplasty 2020;35:933–940.
10. Khan AA, Morrison A, Hanley DA, et al. Diagnosis and management of osteonecrosis of the jaw: a systematic review and international consensus. J Bone Miner Res 2015;30:3–23.
11. Moon JY, Kim BS, Yun HR, et al. A Case of Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head as Initial Presentation of Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. Korean J Intern Med 2005;20:255–9.
12. Kozuch P, Talpaz M, Faderl S, et al. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head in chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated with interferon-alpha: a synergistic correlation? Cancer 2000; 89:1482–9.
13. Okubo-Sato M, Yamagata K, Fukuzawa S, et al. Medication-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw Spontaneously Occurred in a Patient with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Only by Imatinib: A Report of a Rare Case. Case Rep Dent 2021;2021:6621937.
14. Yassin MA, Moustafa AH, Nashwan AJ, et al. Dasatinib Induced Avascular Necrosis of Femoral Head in Adult Patient with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Clin Med Insights Blood Disord 2015;8:19–23.
15. Gibson J, Joshua DE, Collis D, Kronenberg H. Chronic myeloid leukaemia presenting as femoral head necrosis. Scand J Haematol 1984;32:376–8.
16. Salimi Z, Vas W, Sundaram M. Avascular bone necrosis in an untreated case of chronic myelogenous leukemia. Skeletal Radiol 1988;17:353–5.
17. Hanif I, Mahmoud H, Pui CH. Avascular femoral head necrosis in pediatric cancer patients. Med Pediatr Oncol 1993;21:655–60.
18. Leone J, Vilque JP, Pignon B, et al. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head as a complication of chronic myelogenous leukaemia. Skeletal Radiol 1996; 25:696–8.
19. Gupta D, Gaiha M, Siddaraju N, et al. Chronic myeloid leukemia presenting with avascular necrosis of femur head. J Assoc Physicians India. 2003; 51:214–5
20. Kraemer D, Weissinger F, Kraus M, et al. Aseptic necrosis of both femoral heads as first symptom of chronic myelogenous leukemia. Ann Hematol 2003; 82:44–6.
21. Joseph DE, Egesie OJ, Alao OO. Osteonecrosis complicating chronic myeloid leukaemia. Niger J Med 2006;15:337–9
22. Hughes C, Patterson K, Murray M. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head in childhood chronic myeloid leukaemia. Br J Haematol 2007; 139:1–1.
23. Kumar S, Bansal D, Prakash M, Sharma P. Avascular necrosis of femoral head as the initial manifestation of CML. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2014; 31:568–73.
24. Nataraj V, Kandasamy D, Bakhshi S. Imatinib-induced avascular necrosis of femur in childhood chronic myeloid leukemia. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2014;31:268–70.
25. Thekkudan SF, Nityanand S.Nilotinib induced avascular necrosis of femoral head in an adult chronic myeloid leukemia patient. J Clin Orthop Trauma 2018; 9:S26–S28.
26. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Razis E, Galiti D, et al. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in a patient with chronic myelogenous leukemia receiving imatinib - A case report with clinical implications. Forum Clin Oncol 2013; 4:29–33.
27. Won AM, Boddu P, Otun AO, et al. Chronic myelogenous leukemia presenting with osteonecrosis of the jaw as a rare but debilitating toxicity of Dasatinib: a case report and literature review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2018; 126:e208–e211.
28. Myoken Y, Fujita Y, Imanaka R, Toratani S. Bosutinib-induced osteonecrosis of the jaw in a patient with chronic myeloid leukemia: a case report. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2021;25:421-5.
29.Adel A, Abushanab D, Hamad A, Abdulla M, Izham M, Yassin M. Assessment of Dasatinib Versus Nilotinib as Upfront Therapy for Chronic Phase of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia in Qatar: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Cancer Control. January 2021. doi:10.1177/10732748211001796
30. Iqbal P, Soliman A, De Sanctis V, Yassin MA. Association of tuberculosis in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: a treatment proposal based on literature review. Expert Review of Hematology. 2021 Feb 1;14(2):211-7.
31. Atteya A, Ahmad A, Daghstani D, Mushtaq K, Yassin MA. Evaluation of Hepatitis B Reactivation Among Patients With Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Treated With Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors. Cancer Control. 2020 Dec 7;27(1):1073274820976594.
32. Yassin MA, Ata F, Mohamed SF, Alkhateeb A, Naeem U, Al-Qatami AI, Nashwan AJ, Fernyhough LJ. Ophthalmologic manifestations as the initial presentation of chronic myeloid leukemia: A Review. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2021 Jul 10.
33. Yassin MA, Ghasoub RS, Aldapt MB, Abdulla MA, Chandra P, Shwaylia HM, Nashwan AJ, Kassem NA, Akiki SJ. Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Response to Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors (TKIs) in Patients With Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: An Outcome of European LeukemiaNet Project. Cancer Control. 2021 Apr 19;28:10732748211009256.
34. Hamamyh T, Yassin MA. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in chronic myeloid leukemia. Pharmacology. 2020;105(11-12):630-8.
35. Ali E, Soliman A, De Sanctis V, Nussbaumer D, Yassin M. Priapism in Patients with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML): A Systematic Review. Acta Biomed. 2021 Jul 1;92(3):e2021193. doi: 10.23750/abm.v92i3.10796. PMID: 34212918; PMCID: PMC8343736.
36. Yassin MA, Soliman AT, Sanctis VD. Effects of tyrosine kinase inhibitors on spermatogenesis and pituitary gonadal axis in males with chronic myeloid leukemia. J Cancer Res Ther. 2014;2:116-21.
37. Abdulla AJ, Yassin MA, Clinicopathological Variables and Outcome in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Associated With BCR-ABL1 Transcript Type and Body Weight: An Outcome of European LeukemiaNet Project, Cancer Control DOI: 10.1177/10732748211038429
38. Yassin MA, Kassem N, Ghassoub R. How I treat obesity and obesity related surgery in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: An outcome of an ELN project. Clinical Case Reports. 2021 Mar;9(3):1228-34.