Main Article Content
Tibial tubercle osteotomy, Fulkerson osteotomy, bioabsorbable, biodegradable, magnesium, screw, implant
Background and aim: Metallic screws are commonly used to fix tibial tubercle osteotomies (TTO). However, hardware removal late after osteotomy union is one of the most common causes of reoperation following TTOs. The use of bioabsorbable screws may eliminate secondary surgeries, but there is no study on their use in this indication. The purpose of this retrospective study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of bioabsorbable magnesium (Alloy: MgYREZr) screws in tibial tubercle osteotomy (TTO) fixation.
Methods: Ten patients with objective patellar instability who underwent distal realignment procedure using Fulkerson TTO were retrospectively reviewed. The osteotomy was secured with two parallel 4.8 mm magnesium screws in all patients. Kujala score and Lysholm knee score were used to assess the functional outcomes before and after the operation. Union of the osteotomy, displacement, and other imaging findings were evaluated with serial knee radiographs during the follow-up.
Results: There were five male and five female patients with a mean age of 23.4±9.2 years (range, 15-45). The mean follow-up duration was 11.5±3.2 months (range,6-17 months). The osteotomy united in all cases at an average of 3 months. No infection or wound healing problems were seen. A significant increase in Kujala (p:.005) and Lysholm knee scores (p:.005) were recorded in all patients.
Conclusion: The findings support that bioabsorbable magnesium screws can be safely used as an alternative fixation technique in TTO. Furthermore, it provides the advantage to eliminate the need for implant removal.
(2) Maquet P. Advancement of the tibial tuberosity. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976;115:225–230.
(3) Trillat A, Dejour H, Couette A. Diagnosis and treatment of recurrent dislocations of the patella. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 1964;50: 813–824.
(4) Fulkerson JP, Becker GJ, Meaney JA, Miranda M, Folcik MA. Anteromedial tibial tubercle transfer without bone-graft. Am J Sport Med. 1990;18(5):490–497.
(5) Dejour D, Le Coultre B. Osteotomies in Patello-Femoral Instabilities. Sports Med Arthrosc Rev. 2018;26(1):8-15.
(6) Longo UG, Rizzello G, Ciuffreda M et al. Elmslie-Trillat, Maquet, Fulkerson, Roux Goldthwait, and Other Distal Realignment Procedures for the Management of Patellar Dislocation: Systematic Review and Quantitative Synthesis of the Literature. Arthroscopy. 2016;32(5):929-43.
(7) Saltzman BM, Rao A, Erickson BJ et al. A Systematic Review of 21 Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy Studies and More Than 1000 Knees: Indications, Clinical Outcomes, Complications, and Reoperations. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2017;46(6):E396-E407.
(8) Payne J, Rimmke N, Schmitt LC, Flanigan DC, Magnussen RA. The Incidence of Complications of Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy: A Systematic Review. Arthroscopy. 2015;31(9):1819-25.
(9) Johnson AA, Wolfe EL, Mintz DN, Demehri S, Shubin Stein BE, Cosgarea AJ. Complications After Tibial Tuberosity Osteotomy: Association With Screw Size and Concomitant Distalization. Orthop J Sports Med. 2018;6(10):2325967118803614. doi: 10.1177/2325967118803614.
(10) Davis K, Caldwell P, Wayne J, Jiranek WA. Mechanical comparison of fixation techniques for the tibial tubercle osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000; 380:241-9.
(11) Caldwell PE, Bohlen BA, Owen JR et al. Dynamic confirmation of fixation techniques of the tibial tubercle osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;424:173-9.
(12) Tecklenburg K, Feller JA, Whitehead TS, Webster KE, Elzarka A. Outcome of surgery for recurrent patellar dislocation based on the distance of the tibial tuberosity to the trochlear Groove. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010;92(10):1376-80.
(13) Shelbourne KD, Porter DA, Rozzi W. Use of a modified Elmslie-Trillat procedure to improve abnormal patellar congruence angle. Am J Sports Med. 1994;122:318-323.
(14) Juutilainen T, Pätiälä H, Ruuskanen M, Rokkanen P. Comparison of costs in ankle fractures treated with absorbable or metallic fixation devices. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1997;116(4):204-8.
(15) Böstman OM. Metallic or absorbable fracture fixation devices. A cost minimization analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;329:233-9.
(16) Böstman O, Hirvensalo E, Partio E, Törmälä P, Rokkanen P. Impact of the use of absorbable fracture fixation implants on consumption of hospital resources and economic costs. J Trauma. 1991;31(10):1400-3.
(17) Acar B, Kose O, Unal M, Turan A, Kati YA, Guler F. Comparison of magnesium versus titanium screw fixation for biplane chevron medial malleolar osteotomy in the treatment of osteochondral lesions of the talus. Eur. J. Orthop. Surg. Traumatol. 2020;30(1):163–173.
(18) Kose O, Turan A, Unal M, Acar B, Guler F. Fixation of medial malleolar fractures with magnesium bioabsorbable headless compression screws: short-term clinical and radiological outcomes in eleven patients. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2018;138(8):1069-1075.
(19) Kozakiewicz M. Are Magnesium Screws Proper for Mandibular Condyle Head Osteosynthesis? Materials (Basel). 2020;13(11):2641.
(20) Nurmi JT, Itälä A, Sihvonen R et al. Bioabsorbable Versus Metal Screw in the Fixation of Tibial Tubercle Transfer: A Cadaveric Biomechanical Study. Orthop J Sports Med. 2017 ;5(7):2325967117714433.
(21) Warner BT, Kamath GV, Spang JT, Weinhold PS, Creighton RA. Comparison of fixation methods after anteromedialization osteotomy of the tibial tubercle for patellar instability. Arthroscopy. 2013;29(10):1628-34.
(22) Chang CW, Chen YN, Li CT, Chung CR, Chang CH, Peng YT. Finite element study of the effects of fragment shape and screw configuration on the mechanical behavior of tibial tubercle osteotomy. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2019;27(3):2309499019861145.
(23) Marukawa E, Tamai M, Takahashi Y et al. Comparison of magnesium alloys and poly-l-lactide screws as degradable implants in a canine fracture model. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2016;104(7):1282-9.
(24) Böstman O, Hirvensalo E, Partio E, Törmälä P, Rokkanen P . Impact of the use of absorbable fracture fixation implants on consumption of hospital resources and economic costs. J Trauma. 1991;31(10): 1400-3.
(25) Juutilainen T, Pätiälä H, Ruuskanen M, Rokkanen P. Comparison of costs in ankle fractures treated with absorbable or metallic fixation devices. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1997;116(4): 204-208.