Main Article Content
Geroprotectors, testing, rodents, humans
The evaluation of the safety of a drug in rodents that may be used as geroprotectors is a challenge of current times. In the paper, we discuss approaches to long-term assays for selection of potent aging delay drugs for humans. Priority is given to methods combining evaluation of carcinogenic safety and life-spanning potential. The use of such methods will be time-efficient and economically feasible.
2. Vaiserman AM, Lushchak OV, Koliada AV. Anti-aging pharmacology: Promises and pitfalls Ageing Res Rev. 2016;31:9-35. doi: 10.1016/j.arr.2016.08.004.
3. World Report on Ageing and Health. Geneva: WHO. 2015.
4. Longo VD, Antebi A, Bartke A, et al. Interventions to Slow Aging in Humans: Are We Ready? Aging Cell. 2015; 14: 497-510.
5. Kennedy BK, Pennypack JK. Aging interventions get human. Oncotarget. 2015; 69:590-1. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.3173.
6. Kennedy BK, Partridge L. 2nd interventions in aging conference. Aging (Albany NY). 201; 9: 1090-5.
7. Nadon NL, Strong R, Miller RA, Harrison DE. NIA Interventions Testing Program: Investigating Putative Aging Intervention Agents in a Genetically Heterogeneous Mouse Model. EBioMedicine. 2016; doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2016.11.038.
8. Anisimov VN, Popovich IG, Zabezhinski MA. Methods of testing pharmacological drugs effects on aging and life-span in mice. Methods in Molecular Biology 2013; 1048:145-160.
9. Anisimov VN, Zabezhinski MA, Popovich IG, et al. Rodent models for the preclinical evaluation of drugs suitable for pharmacological intervention in aging. Expert Opinion Drug Discovery. 2012; 7:85-95.
10. Anisimov V.N. Premature ageing prevention: Limitations and perspectives of pharmacological interventions. Current Drugs Targets, 2006;7(11):1485-1503.
11. Spindler SR. Review of the literature and suggestions for the design of rodent survival studies for the identification of compounds that increase health and life span. Age (Dordr). 2012; 34: 111-20. DOI: 10.1007/s11357-011-9224-6
12. Anisimov VN, Ukraintseva SV, Yashin AI. Cancer in rodents: Does it tell us about cancer in humans? Nature Rev. Cancer. 2005; 5 (10): 807-819.
13. Anisimov VN. Life span extension and cancer risk: myths and reality. Exp.Gerontol.2001; 26 (7):1101-1137.
14. Anisimov VN, Sidorenko AV. It is necessary to establish an International Agency for Research on Aging. Aging (Albany NY) 2018; 10: 863-867; doi: 10.18632/aging.101451.1.
15. Anisimov VN. Metfomin for cancer and aging prevention: is it a time to make the long story short? Oncotarget, 2015;6:39398-407.
16. Anisimov VN, Popovich IG, Zabezhinski MA, Anisimov SV, Vesnushkin GM, Vinogradova IA. Melatonin as antioxidant, geroprotector and anticarcinogen. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2006; 1757: 573-589.
17. Neff F, Flores-Dominguez D, Ryan DP et al. Rapamycin extends murine lifespan but has limited effects on aging. J Clin Invest. 2013; 123: 3272-91.
18. Montesano R, Bartsch H, Vainio H, et al. IARC Sci Publ No 83. Lyon: IARC, 1986.
19. Aliper A, Belikov AV, Garazha A et al. In search for geroprotectors: in silico screening and in vitro validation of signalome-level mimetics of young healthy state. Aging (Albany NY). 2016;8: 2127-52.