Main Article Content
dermoid cyst; retro-auricular region; congenital anomaly; head and neck
Dermoid cysts (DC) of the head and neck are rare congenital anomalies derived from entrapment of ectodermal cells at lines of fusion in the embryo into mesoderm. We describe a 22-years-old female with an unusual presentation of DC in the subcutaneous tissue of the retro-auricular region, confirmed by pathological examination of the surgically removed specimen. A DC in this region is rare and may be misdiagnosed as a retroauricular lymph node. Complete excision of the lesion must be achieved with pathology study to confirm diagnosis.
2. Pryor SG, Lewis JE, Weaver AL, Orvidas LJ. Pediatric dermoid cysts of the head and neck. Otolaryngol–Head Neck Surg. 2005;132(6):938–42.
3. Horikiri M, Ueda K, Katom. Case Report: Dermoid cyst of the auricle: a rare manifestation; BMJ Case Rep. 2014.
4. Kim HJ, Burm JS, Pyon JK, Kim YW. Acquired dermoid cysts within subcutaneous scar tissue. J Korean Soc Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;34:507-10
5. Narain S, Gulati A, Yadav R, Batra H. Epidermoid Cysts of Face: Clinicopathological Presentation and a report of four cases. Int Clinic Dent Sci 2012;3.
6. Katabi N, Lewis JS. Update from the 4th Edition of the World Health Organization Classification of Head and Neck Tumours: What Is New in the 2017 WHO Blue Book for Tumors and Tumor-Like Lesions of the Neck and Lymph Nodes. Head Neck Pathol. 2017 Mar;11(1):48-54.
7. Allam-Nandyala P, Bui MM, Caracciolo JT, Hakam A. Squamous cell carcinoma and osteosarcoma arising from a dermoid cyst--a case report and review of literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2010 Jan 10;3(3):313-8. Review.
8. Lenci LT, Shams P, Shriver EM, Allen RC. Dermoid cysts: clinical predictors of complex lesions and surgical complications. J AAPOS. 2017 Feb;21(1):44-47.
9. Jayasuriya NS, Siriwardena S, Tilakaratne WM, Parthiepan S. Malignant transformation of a long-standing submental dermoid cyst to a carcinosarcoma: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2017 Jan 11;11(1):11.
10. Altmann F. Malformations of the eustachian tube, the middle ear, and its appendages: critical review. AMA Arch Otolaryngol 1951; 54:241-66
11. Sichel JY, Dano I, Halperin D, Chisin R. Dermoid cyst of the eustachian tube. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1999 Apr 25;48(1):77-81. Review.
12. Behnke EE, Schindler RA. Dermoid of the petrous apex. Laryngoscope 1984; 94:779-83.
13. Kornienko VN, Pronin IN. Diagnostic Neuroradiology. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg; 2009.p.510.
14. Osborn AG, Preece MT. Intracranial cysts: radiologic-pathologic correlation and imaging approach. Radiology. 2006 Jun;239(3):650-64. Review.
15. Nasirmohtaram S, Akbari M. Dermoid Cyst Within Concha: A Case Report. Acta Med Iran. 2016 Jun;54(6):407-8.