Main Article Content
Postmortem examination, Clinical autopsy, Pathological autopsy, COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2
SARS-CoV-2 has swamped the entire world, unfolding into a COVID-19 pandemic. Efforts are on to develop an understanding of the various aspects related to SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19. A pathological autopsy can play a vital role in understanding the pathophysiology of the disease, which may be vital in evolving effective management strategies. Despite its significance in the present circumstances, only a limited number of pathological autopsies are being conducted worldwide. The paper stresses on the need for taking up pathological autopsies globally and discusses its present status and the way forward, along with international perspectives and recommendations for consideration of pathological autopsy.
2. Kotabagi RB, Charati SC, Jayachandar D. Clinical Autopsy vs Medicolegal Autopsy. Med J Armed Forces India. 2005;61(3):258‐263. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-1237(05)80169-8
3. Myhealth Portal (Selamat Datang Ke Portal Rasmi). Government of Malaysia. Autopsy: Medicolegal vs clinical. Available from: http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/autopsy-medico-legal-vs-clinical/ (Accessed 24 November 2020).
4. Pomara C, Volti GL, Cappello F. COVID-19 Deaths: Are We Sure It Is Pneumonia? Please, Autopsy, Autopsy, Autopsy! J Clin Med 2020; 9(5):1259. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9051259
5. Parekh U, Chariot P, Dang C, Pedersen AS, Druid H. A roadmap to the safe practice of Forensic Medicine in the COVID-19 pandemic. J Forensic Leg Med 2020; 76:102036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2020.102036
6. Salerno M, Sessa F, Piscopo A, Montana A, Torrisi M, Patanè F et al. No Autopsies on COVID-19 Deaths: A Missed Opportunity and the Lockdown of Science. J Clin Med 2020; 9:1472. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9051472
7. Ledford H. Autopsy slowdown hinders quest to determine how coronavirus kills [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 7]. Nature. 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-020-01355-z
8. Barton LM, Duval EJ, Stroberg E, Ghosh S, Mukhopadhyay S. COVID-19 Autopsies, Oklahoma, USA. Am J Clin Pathol 2020;153(6):725-733. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/aqaa062
9. Mukhopadhyay S. Lessons from Two COVID-19 Autopsies. ConsultQD. Cleveland clinic. Available from: https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/lessons-from-two-covid-19-autopsies/ (Accessed 24 November 2020).
10. T. Menter J.D. Haslbauer R. Nienhold S. Savic H. Hopfer N. Deigendesch S. Frank. Post‐mortem examination of COVID19 patients reveals diffuse alveolar damage with severe capillary congestion and variegated findings of lungs and other organs suggesting vascular dysfunction. Histopathology 77(2):198-209 https://doi.org/10.1111/his.14134
11. Tian, S., Xiong, Y., Liu, H. et al. Pathological study of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) through postmortem core biopsies. Mod Pathol 2020;33(6):1007-1014, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41379-020-0536-x
12. Su H., Yang M., Wan C., Yi L.-X., Tang F., Zhu H.-Y., Yi F et al. Renal histopathological analysis of 26 postmortem findings of patients with COVID-19 in China, Kidney Int 2020;98(1):219-227, Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kint.2020.04.003
13. Aguiar, D., Lobrinus, J.A., Schibler, M. et al. Inside the lungs of COVID-19 disease. Int J Leg Med 2020;134(4):1271-1294, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-020-02318-9
14. Sapino, A., Facchetti, F., Bonoldi, E. et al. The autopsy debate during the COVID-19 emergency: the Italian experience. Virchows Arch 2020; 476:821–823 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-020-02828-2
15. COVID-19 Post-mortem Portal. The Royal College of Pathologists. Available from: https://www.rcpath.org/profession/coronavirus-resource-hub/covid-19-post-mortem-portal.html (Accessed 24 November 2020)
16. Lintern S. Independent news article on 20 May 2020. Available from: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-post-mortem-pathologists-covid-deaths-a9524286.html (Accessed 24 November 2020)
17. Joshi T. hwnews on 13 May 2020. Available from: https://hwnews.in/news/national-news/gujarat-becomes-first-state-start-clinical-pathological-autopsy-deceased-covid-19-patients/136682 (Accessed 24 November 2020)
18. Thacker T. Economic Times Bureau. AIIMS to soon conduct 1st autopsy to study virus. On May 20, 2020. Available from: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/healthcare/biotech/healthcare/aiims-to-soon-conduct-1st-autopsy-to-study-virus/articleshow/75855140.cms?from=mdr (Accessed 24 November 2020).