Main Article Content
Platypnea, Orthodeoxia, SARS-CoV-2, Pneumonia
A new cause of POS hás been recently described: SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia. Important aspects regarding the case are presented and clarifications requested from the authors. Dr Howard B. Burchell described platypnea-orthodeoxia syndrome (POS) in 1949. Burchell´s contributions to Medicine are briefly presented as well as his career.
2. Longo C, Ruffini L, Zanoni N, et al. Platypnea-orthodeoxia after fibrotic evolution of SARS-CoV-2 interstitial pneumonia. A case report. Acta Biomed. 2020;91(3):1-7. doi:10.23750/abm.v91i3.10386
3. Sanghi P, Malik M, Hossain IT, Manzouri B. Ocular Complications in the Prone Position in the Critical Care Setting: The COVID-19 Pandemic. J Intensive Care Med. Published online September 28, 2020:088506662095903. doi:10.1177/0885066620959031
4. Bloomfield R, Noble DW, Sudlow A. Prone position for acute respiratory failure in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. Published online November 13, 2015. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD008095.pub2
5. Yepes I, Ji S, Wu F, Tijmes S, Roberts J. Platypnea-Orthodeoxia Syndrome: Rare or under-diagnosed syndrome? 3 case reports and a literature review. Cardiovasc Revascularization Med. Published online June 2020. doi:10.1016/j.carrev.2020.06.002
6. Hewitt RM, Eckman JR, Miller RD. The Mayo Clinic and the Canadians. Can Med Assoc J. 1964;91(22):1161-1172. https://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC1928441&blobtype=pdf