Main Article Content
Astrocytoma, cytology, histology.
Objective: Diffuse glioma arises anywhere in the CNS, but most frequent in the cerebral hemispheres. The tumor tends to be seen in children and in younger adults aged 20-30. We report one such case in an older female patient presenting the intraoperative cytology of the tumor.
Case report: A 48-year-old female was diagnosed by MRI with a tumor of cerebellum. Cytologic material was obtained during the resection of the tumor and diagnosed cytologically as glioma.
Conclusion: This case is presented to focus the ability of the intraoperative cytology in diagnosis of the glioma, using immunocytology and confirmed by histo- immunohistology.
2. Louis DN, Ohgaki H, Wiestler OD, Cavenee WK: WHO classification of tumours of the central nervous system, ed 4 Lyon, IARC Press, 2016
3. Komori T. The 2016 WHO Classification of Tumours of the Central Nervous System: The Major Points of Revision Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2017 Jul; 57(7): 301–311
4. Martin J. van den Bent, Michael Weller, Patrick Y. Wen, Johan M. Kros, Ken Aldape, Susan Chang. A clinical perspective on the 2016 WHO brain tumor classification and routine molecular diagnostics. Neuro-Oncology 2017, 19 (5): 614–624
5. Chandana SR, Movva S, Arora M, Singh T. Primary brain tumors in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2008 May 15;77(10):1423-30.
6. Fausto J. Rodriguez, Kah Suan Lim, Daniel Bowers, and Charles G. Eberhart. Pathological and Molecular Advances in Pediatric Low Grade Astrocytoma. Annu Rev Pathol. 2013 Jan 24; 8: 361–379.
7. Parakarama T, Chandrasoma PT, Apuzzo ML. Stereotactic brain biopsy: Astrocytic neoplasms. Los Angeles California, 1989: 96-97.
8 Adams JH, Graham DI, Doyle D. London: Chapman and Hall; 1981. Brain Biopsy: the smear technique for neurosurgical biopsies; pp. 11–4
9. Kishore S, Thakur B,, Bhardwaj A, Kusum A Diagnostic accuracy of squash cytology and role of GFAP immunoexpression in glial tumors. Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology, January-March, 2018;5(1):12-17
10. Sarkar S, Sengupta M, Datta Ch, Chatterjee U, Ghosh SN. Evaluation of intraoperative cytological smears for diagnosis of brain tumors with special reference to immunohistochemistry. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2017 Jul-Sep; 38(3): 296–301.
11. Deepti Sukheeja, Shashi Singhvi, Naresh N. Rai, and Manojit Midya. A Comparative Study of Histopathology of Astrocytomas with Intraoperative Cytology with Special Reference to MIB-1 Labelling Index. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Aug; 9(8): EC01–EC03.
12. Louise Eisenhardt and Harvey Cushing. Diagnosis of Intracranial Tumors by Supravital Technique. Am J Pathol. 1930 Sep; 6(5): 541–552.7.
13. Pratima Savargaonkar and Peter M. Farmer. Utility of Intra-operative Consultations for the Diagnosis of Central Nervous System Lesions. Ann Clin Lab Sci Spring 2001 vol. 31 no. 2 133-139.
14. Lucien Nochomovitz, Frank Jannotta (Et Al), Mary Sidawy. Intraoperative Consultation: A Guide to Smears, Imprints, & Frozen Sections. Chicago, ASCP press. 1998: 94-95.
15. Robbins PD, Yu LL, Lee M, Stokes BA, Thomas GW, Watson P, Wong G. Stereotactic biopsy of 100 intracerebral lesions at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. Pathology. 1994 Oct;26(4):410-3.
16. Nasir H, and Haque AUI. Value of Touch Preparation Cytology in Intraoperative Consultation Diagnosis of Astrocytomas. International Journal of Pathology 2003; 1: 8-12.
17. Chand P, Amit S, Gupta R, Agarwal A. Errors, limitations, and pitfalls in the diagnosis of central and peripheral nervous system lesions in intraoperative cytology and frozen sections. J Cytol. 2016;33(2):93–97
18. Narang V, Jacob S, Mahapatra D, Mathew JE. Intraoperative diagnosis of central nervous system lesions: Comparison of squash smear, touch imprint, and frozen section. J Cytol. 2015;32:153–8
19. S Jaiswal, M Vij, AK Jaiswal, S Behari. et.al. Intraoperative squash cytology of central nervous system lesions: a single center study of 326 cases. Diagnostic Cytopathology 2012; 40(2):104 - 112
20. Roessler K, Dietrich W, Kitz K. High Diagnostic Accuracy of Cytologic Smears of Central Nervous System Tumors. A 15-Year Experience Based on 4,172 Patients.. Acta cytologica 2002;46(4):667-74
21. Pornsuk Cheunsuchon, Atthanisa Punyashthira, Jantima Tanboon, Tumtip Sangruchi. Accuracy of Intraoperative Consultation of CentralNervous System Lesions in Siriraj Hospital. Siriraj Med J 2014;66:113-119.
22. Arpita Jindal, Himanshi Diwan, Kanwalpreet Kaur, and V. D. Sinha. Intraoperative Squash Smear in Central Nervous System Tumors and Its Correlation with Histopathology: 1 Year Study at a Tertiary Care Centre. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2017 Apr-Jun; 8(2): 221–224.
23. Govindaraman PK, Arumugam N,Ramasamy C, Prakasam G. Role of squash smear in intraoperative consultation of central nervous system tumors. J Sci Soc 2017;44:7-14.
24. Khuroo MS, Hamdani SM, Alam SS, Sahaf BR, Dar NQ, Bhat RA. Accuracy and utility of intraoperative squash smear cytology in neurosurgical practice. Int J Med Sci Public Health 2019;8(2):130-135.