Main Article Content
COVID-19, health care workers, supporting care, collaboration projects
Un unexpected infection by a novel coronavirus (SAR CoV-2) started by the end of December in Wuhan, China, spreading all over other countries, and Italy was one of the most affected ones. WHO declared the pandemic on 11th March, 2020. Despite the numerous unknown aspects of this infection, the healthcare system had to face a multidimensional emergency. Albania, a small country with a geographical, historical and cultural relationship with Italy was one of the first countries giving support and starting a profitable collaboration focusing on the mission to provide the necessary help for the health care workers. In order to help the Italian healthcare system to face up to the situation two medical teams firstly (in March) and a group of 60 health care workers later in April were sent to Italy (Brescia Hospital) to support clinical activities in departments with COVID-19 patients. This important contribution showed the great solidarity and helped to strengthen the partnership between the two countries.
2. Rubino S, Kelvin N, Bermejo-Martin JF, Kelvin D. As COVID-19 cases, deaths and fatality rates surge in Italy, underlying causes require investigation. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2020 31;14(3):265–7.
3. Odone A, Delmonte D, Scognamiglio T, Signorelli C. COVID-19 deaths in Lombardy, Italy: data in context. Lancet Public Health. 2020 Apr 24;
4. Colaneri M, Sacchi P, Zuccaro V, Biscarini S, Sachs M, Roda S, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) early findings from a teaching hospital in Pavia, North Italy, 21 to 28 February 2020. Euro Surveill. 2020;25(16).
5. Bahl P, Doolan C, de Silva C, Chughtai AA, Bourouiba L, MacIntyre CR. Airborne or droplet precautions for health workers treating COVID-19? J Infect Dis. 2020 Apr 16;
6. Prescott K, Baxter E, Lynch C, Jassal S, Bashir A, Gray J. COVID-19: How prepared are front line healthcare workers in England? J Hosp Infect. 2020 Apr 24;
7. Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what next? Lancet. 2020 11;395(10231):1225–8.
8. Bollettino-sorveglianza-integrata-COVID-19_23-aprile-2020.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2020 May 15]. Available from: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Bollettino-sorveglianza-integrata-COVID-19_23-aprile-2020.pdf
9. 20200423-sitrep-94-covid-19.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2020 May 15]. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200423-sitrep-94-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=b8304bf0_2
10. 20200507covid-19-sitrep-108.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2020 May 15]. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200507covid-19-sitrep-108.pdf?sfvrsn=44cc8ed8_2