Main Article Content
anaphylaxis, food allergy, drug allergy, IgE, adrenaline
Available information suggests that anaphylaxis must be promptly recognized keeping in mind the airway patency, breathing (ventilation and respiration), circulation and mental status and treated. The first treatment is adrenaline. After successful treatment of an anaphylactic episode, attention must be paid to the prevention of early recurrences (biphasic anaphylaxis) and assessment of causes. Children should not be discharged before prescribing self-injectable adrenaline and explain how and under what circumstances it must be injected, An action plan must be communicated to their communities. Inform the school about potential reactions, how to prevent them and avoidance measures.
2) Michelson KA, Hudgins JD, Burke LG, et al. Trends in severe pediatric emergency conditions in a national cohort, 2008 to 2014. Pediatr Emerg Care 2018; 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001409.
3) Wang Y. Allen KJ, Suaini NHA, McWilliam V, Peters RL, Koplin JJ. The global incidence and prevalence of anaphylaxis in children in the general population: a systematic review. Allergy. 2019;74:1063-1080.
4) Pouessel G, Jean-Bart C, Deschildre A, et al. Allergy Vigilance Network. Food-induced anaphylaxis in infancy compared to preschool age: A retrospective analysis. Clin Exp Allergy 2020;50:74-81.
5) Barbi E, Gerarduzzi T, Longo G, Ventura A. Fatal allergy as a possible consequence of long-term elimination diet. Allergy 2004;59:668-9.
6) Chu DK, McCullagh DJ, Waserman S. Anaphylaxis for internists: definition, evaluation, and management, with a focus on commonly encountered problems. Med Clin North Am. 2020;104:25-44.
7) Caimmi S, Caimmi D, Bernardini R et al. Perioperative anaphylaxis: epidemiology. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2011;24(3 Suppl):S21-S26.
8) Hall V, Wong M, Munsif M, et al. Antimicrobial anaphylaxis: the changing face of severe antimicrobial allergy. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020;75:229-235.
9) Calamelli E, Liotti L, Beghetti I, et al. Component-Resolved Diagnosis in food allergies. Medicina (Kaunas) 2019;55:498.
10) Takahashi K, Yanagida N, Sato S, Ebisawa M. Predictive power of ovomucoid and egg white specific IgE in heated egg oral food challenges. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018;6:2115-2117.
11) Storni F, Cabral-Miranda G, Roesti E, et al. A Single monoclonal antibody against the peanut allergen Ara h 2 protects against systemic and local peanut allergy. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2020;181:334-341.
12) Aniceto V, Dias MM, Melo JML, et al. Serum baseline tryptase level as a marker for the severity of anaphylaxis. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2019;179:201-208.
13) Cavkaytar O, Karaatmaca B, Arik Yilmaz E, et al. Basal serum tryptase is not a risk factor for immediate-type drug hypersensitivity during childhood. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2016;27:736-742.
14) Pouessel G, Antoine M, Lejeune S, Dubos F, Pierache A, Deschildre A; Pediatric Emergency Medicine Group. The time course of anaphylaxis manifestations in children is diverse and unpredictable. Clin Exp Allergy 2020;50:117-120.
15) Chong KW, Ruiz-Garcia M, Patel N, Boyle RJ, Turner PJ. Reaction phenotypes in IgE-mediated food allergy and anaphylaxis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2020;124:473-478.
16) Pumphrey. Anaphylaxis: can we tell who is at risk of a fatal reaction? Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;4:285-290.
17) Calvani M, Cardinale F, Martelli A, et al. Italian Society of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Anaphylaxis’ Study Group. Risk factors for severe pediatric food anaphylaxis in Italy. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2011;22:813-9.
18) Sicherer SH, Simons FER; Section on allergy and immunology. Adrenaline for first-aid management of anaphylaxis. Pediatrics. 2017;139:e20164006.
19) Manivannan V, Campbell RL, Bellolio MF, Stead LG, Li JT, Decker WW. Factors associated with repeated use of adrenaline for the treatment of anaphylaxis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2009;103:395-400
20) Golden DBK. Insect sting allergy: new guidelines from the European and USA consensus groups: algorithms and recommendations. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2019;19:456-461.
21) Maa T, Scherzer DJ, Harwayne-Gidansky I, et al. PEAK Investigators of the International Network for Simulation-based Pediatric Innovation, Research and Education (INSPIRE). Prevalence of Errors in Anaphylaxis in Kids (PEAK): A Multi-Center Simulation-Based Study. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2020;8:1239-1246.e3.
22) Niggemann B, Beyer K. Adrenaline autoinjectors in food allergy: in for a cent, in for a euro? Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2012;23:506-8.
23) Song TT, Lieberman P. Who needs to carry an epinephrine autoinjector? Cleve Clin J Med 2019;86:66-72.
24) Lee S, Bellolio MF, Hess EP, Erwin P, Murad MH, Campbell RL. Time of onset and predictors of biphasic anaphylactic reactions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2015;3:408-16.
25) Alqurashi W, Awadia A, Pouliot A, et al. The Canadian anaphylaxis action plan for kids: development and validation. Patient Educ Couns 2020;103:227-233.
26) Kranert P, Forchhammer S, Volc S, Stenger F, Schaller M, Fischer J. Safety and effectiveness of a 3-day rush insect venom immunotherapy protocol. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2020;181:111-118.
27) Polloni L, Baldi I, Lazzarotto F, et al. Multidisciplinary education improves school personnel's self-efficacy in managing food allergy and anaphylaxis. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2020;31:380-387.
28) Tejedor-Alonso MA, Martínez-Fernandez P, Vallejo-de-Torres G, Navarro-Escayola E, Moro-Moro M, Alberti-Masgrau N. Clinical and demographic characteristics of fatal anaphylaxis in Spain (1998-2011): A comparison between a series from the hospital system and a national forensic series. Clin Exp Allergy. 2019;49:82-91.
29) Mastrorilli C, Caffarelli C, Hoffmann-Sommergruber K. Food allergy and atopic dermatitis: Prediction, progression, and prevention. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2017;28:831-840.
30) Portnoy JM, Moffitt JE, Golden DB, et al. Stinging insect hypersensitivity: a practice parameter. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999;103:963–80.
31) Caimmi S, Caffarelli C, Saretta F, et al. Drug desensitization in allergic children. Acta Biomed 2019;90(3-S):20-29.