Main Article Content
ILD screening, Lung Ultrasound, Primary Health Care, pulmonary fibrosis
Background: In Primary Health Care (PHC) many interstitial lung disease (ILD) cases may remain at diagnostic delay, due to their challenging presentation and the limited experience of general practitioners (GPs) in recognizing their early symptoms. Objective: We have designed a feasibility study to investigate early ILD case-finding competency between PHC and tertiary care. Methods: A cross-sectional prospective case-finding study was launched at two private health care centers of Heraklion, Crete, Greece, during nine months (2021-2022). After clinical assessment by GP, PHC attenders, who agreed to participate in the study, were referred to the Respiratory Medicine Department, University Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, underwent Lung Ultrasound (LUS) and those with an overall suspicion for ILDs underwent high resolution computed tomography (HRCT) scan. Descriptive statistics and chi-square tests were used. Multiple Poisson regression analysis was performed to explain positive LUS and HRCT decision with selected variables. Results: One hundred and nine patients out of 183 were finally included (54.1% females; mean age 61, SD: 8.3 years). Thirty-five (32.1%) were current smokers. Overall, two out of ten cases were assessed to need HRCT due to a moderate or high suspicion (19.3%; 95%CI 12.7, 27.4). However, in those who had dyspnea in relation to counterparts, a significantly higher percentage of patients with LUS findings (57.9% vs. 34.0%, p=0.013) was found, as in those who had crackles (100.0% vs. 44.2%, p= 0.005). Detected possible ILD provisional labelling cases were 6, and most importantly, 5 of those cases were considered highly suspicious for further evaluation based on LUS findings. Conclusions: This is a feasibility study exploring potentials by combining data of medical history, basic auscultation skills, as crackles detection, and inexpensive and radiation-free imaging technique, such as LUS. Cases of ILD labeling may be hidden within PHC, sometimes, much before any clinical manifestation.
1. Antoniou KM, Margaritopoulos GA, Tomassetti S, Bonella F, Costabel U, Poletti V. Interstitial lung disease. European Respiratory Review. 2014 Mar 1;23(131):40–54.
2. Wuyts WA, Agostini C, Antoniou KM et al. The pathogenesis of pulmonary fibrosis: a moving target. Eur Respir J. 2013 May;41(5):1207–18.
3. Raghu G, Remy-Jardin M, Richeldi L et al. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (an Update) and Progressive Pulmonary Fibrosis in Adults: An Official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT Clinical Practice Guideline. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2022 May 1;205(9):e18–47.
4. Global, regional, and national age–sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet. 2015 Jan;385(9963):117–71.
5. Kaul B, Cottin V, Collard HR, Valenzuela C. Variability in Global Prevalence of Interstitial Lung Disease. Front Med. 2021 Nov 4;8:751181.
6. Hutchinson J, Fogarty A, Hubbard R, McKeever T. Global incidence and mortality of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a systematic review. Eur Respir J. 2015 Sep;46(3):795–806.
7. Raghu G, Weycker D, Edelsberg J, Bradford WZ, Oster G. Incidence and Prevalence of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006 Oct 1;174(7):810–6.
8. Antoniou KM, Symvoulakis EK, Margaritopoulos GA, Lionis C, Wells AU. Early diagnosis of IPF: time for a primary-care case-finding initiative? The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2014 Jan;2(1):e1.
9. Ley B, Collard HR, King TE. Clinical Course and Prediction of Survival in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Feb 15;183(4):431–40.
10. Margaritopoulos G, Vasarmidi E, Antoniou K. Pirfenidone in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: an evidence-based review of its place in therapy. CE. 2016 Jul;Volume 11:11–22.
11. Antoniou K, Markopoulou K, Tzouvelekis A et al. Efficacy and safety of nintedanib in a Greek multicentre idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis registry: a retrospective, observational, cohort study. ERJ Open Res. 2020 Jan;6(1):00172–2019.
12. D Zibrak J, Price D. Interstitial lung disease: raising the index of suspicion in primary care. npj Prim Care Resp Med. 2014 Nov;24(1):14054.
13. Lamas DJ, Kawut SM, Bagiella E, Philip N, Arcasoy SM, Lederer DJ. Delayed Access and Survival in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: A Cohort Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Oct 1;184(7):842–7.
14. Sgalla G, Walsh SLF, Sverzellati N et al. “Velcro-type” crackles predict specific radiologic features of fibrotic interstitial lung disease. BMC Pulm Med. 2018 Dec;18(1):103.
15. Stanojevic S, Kaminsky DA, Miller MR et al. ERS/ATS technical standard on interpretive strategies for routine lung function tests. Eur Respir J. 2022 Jul;60(1):2101499.
16. Walsh SLF, Lederer DJ, Ryerson CJ et al. Diagnostic Likelihood Thresholds That Define a Working Diagnosis of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019 Nov 1;200(9):1146–53.
17. Cottin V, Tomassetti S, Valenzuela C et al. Integrating Clinical Probability into the Diagnostic Approach to Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: An International Working Group Perspective. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2022 Aug 1;206(3):247–59.
18. Wells AU, Costabel U, Poletti V, Crestani B et al. Challenges in IPF diagnosis, current management and future perspectives. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2015 Aug 3;32 Suppl 1:28–35.
19. Rodriguez K, Ashby CL, Varela VR, Sharma A. High-Resolution Computed Tomography of Fibrotic Interstitial Lung Disease. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2022 Oct 28;s-0042-1755563.
20. Vizioli L, Ciccarese F, Forti P et al. Integrated Use of Lung Ultrasound and Chest X-Ray in the Detection of Interstitial Lung Disease. Respiration. 2017;93(1):15–22.
21. Gargani L, Volpicelli G. How I do it: Lung ultrasound. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2014 Dec;12(1):25.
22. Soldati G, Demi M, Inchingolo R, Smargiassi A, Demi L. On the Physical Basis of Pulmonary Sonographic Interstitial Syndrome. J of Ultrasound Medicine. 2016 Oct;35(10):2075–86.
23. Vassalou EE, Raissaki M, Magkanas E, Antoniou KM, Karantanas AH. Lung Ultrasonography in Patients With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Evaluation of a Simplified Protocol With High-Resolution Computed Tomographic Correlation: Lung US in Patients With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Simplified Protocol. J Ultrasound Med. 2018 Mar;37(3):689–96.
24. Vassalou EE, Raissaki M, Magkanas E, Antoniou KM, Karantanas AH. Modified Lung Ultrasonographic Technique for Evaluation of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Lateral Decubitus Position: Lung Ultrasonography for Pulmonary Fibrosis: Decubitus Position. J Ultrasound Med. 2017 Dec;36(12):2525–32.
25. Manolescu D, Davidescu L, Traila D, Oancea C, Tudorache V. The reliability of lung ultrasound in assessment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. CIA. 2018 Mar;Volume 13:437–49.
26. Cohen S, Kamarck T, Mermelstein R. A Global Measure of Perceived Stress. Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 1983;24(4):385–96.
27. Andreou E, Alexopoulos EC, Lionis C et al. Perceived Stress Scale: reliability and validity study in Greece. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2011 Aug;8(8):3287–98.
28. Frith P, Crockett A, Beilby J et al. Simplified COPD screening: validation of the PiKo-6® in primary care. Primary Care Respiratory Journal. 2011 May 20;20(2):190–8.
29. International Liaison Committee on Lung Ultrasound (ILC-LUS) for the International Consensus Conference on Lung Ultrasound (ICC-LUS), Volpicelli G, Elbarbary M, Blaivas M, Lichtenstein DA, Mathis G, et al. International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound. Intensive Care Med. 2012 Apr;38(4):577–91.
30. Buda N, Kosiak W, Wełnicki M et al. Recommendations for Lung Ultrasound in Internal Medicine. Diagnostics. 2020 Aug 16;10(8):597.
31. Manfredi A, Cassone G, Vacchi C et al. Usefulness of Digital Velcro Crackles Detection in Identification of Interstitial Lung Disease in Patients With Connective Tissue Diseases. Arch Rheumatol. 2020 Jun 25;1157.
32. Symvoulakis EK, Kamekis A, Drakonaki E, Mastrodemou S, Ryerson CJ, Antoniou K. Frailty and chronic respiratory disease: the need for a multidisciplinary care model. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2021;38(3):e2021031.
33. Di Bidino R, Rogliani P, Sebastiani A et al. Road Toward a New Model of Care for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis in the Lazio Region. Front Med. 2022 Jun 9;9:861076.
34. State of Practice: Factors Driving Diagnostic Delays in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. CHEST. 2022;
35. Cosgrove GP, Bianchi P, Danese S, Lederer DJ. Barriers to timely diagnosis of interstitial lung disease in the real world: the INTENSITY survey. BMC Pulm Med. 2018 Dec;18(1):9.
36. Mooney J, Chang E, Lalla D et al. Potential Delays in Diagnosis of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis in Medicare Beneficiaries. Annals ATS. 2019 Jan 8;AnnalsATS.201806-376RL.
37. Bellou V, Belbasis L, Evangelou E. Tobacco Smoking and Risk for Pulmonary Fibrosis. Chest. 2021 Sep;160(3):983–93.
38. Moran-Mendoza O, Ritchie T, Aldhaheri S. Fine crackles on chest auscultation in the early diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a prospective cohort study. BMJ Open Resp Res. 2021 Jul;8(1):e000815.
39. Sorensen B, Hunskaar S. Point-of-care ultrasound in primary care: a systematic review of generalist performed point-of-care ultrasound in unselected populations. Ultrasound J. 2019 Dec;11(1):31.
40. López-Muñiz Ballesteros B, López-Herranz M, Lopez-de-Andrés A et al. Sex Differences in the Incidence and Outcomes of Patients Hospitalized by Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) in Spain from 2016 to 2019. JCM. 2021 Aug 6;10(16):3474.
41. Prior TS, Hoyer N, Hilberg O et al. Clusters of comorbidities in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respiratory Medicine. 2021 Aug;185:106490.
42. Kato S, Kitamura H, Hayakawa K et al. Coronary artery disease and heart failure in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Heart Vessels. 2021 Aug;36(8):1151–8.
43. Bai L, Zhang L, Pan T et al. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Respir Res. 2021 Dec;22(1):175.
44. Lee TS, Jin KN, Lee HW et al. Interstitial Lung Abnormalities and the Clinical Course in Patients With COPD. Chest. 2021 Jan;159(1):128–37.
45. Margaritopoulos GA, Antoniou KM, Wells AU. Comorbidities in interstitial lung diseases. Eur Respir Rev. 2017 Mar 31;26(143):160027.
46. House DR, Amatya Y, Nti B, Russell FM. Lung ultrasound training and evaluation for proficiency among physicians in a low-resource setting. Ultrasound J. 2021 Dec;13(1):34.
47. Russell FM, Ferre R, Ehrman RR et al. What are the minimum requirements to establish proficiency in lung ultrasound training for quantifying B‐lines? ESC Heart Failure. 2020 Oct;7(5):2941–7.