Main Article Content
Sarcoidosis, Cystic fibrosis, Cardiac sarcoidosis, Inflammation
Cardiac sarcoidosis and cystic fibrosis (CF) are both rare conditions and their co-existence has not previously been noted in adults. For the first time we report a case of isolated cardiac sarcoidosis in a woman with CF, and discuss the possible combined aetiological factors. As the life expectancy of people with CF continues to increase, clinicians should be aware of the emergence of concomitant inflammatory conditions typically diagnosed in adulthood, and the diagnostic challenges this may present.
2. Strachan D. British Lung Foundation: sarcoidosis statistics: British Lung Foundation; 2021 [cited 2021. Available from: https://statistics.blf.org.uk/sarcoidosis.
3. Birnie DH, Kandolin R, Nery PB, Kupari M. Cardiac manifestations of sarcoidosis: diagnosis and management. European Heart Journal. 2016;38(35):2663-70.
4. Birnie DH, Sauer WH, Judson MA. Consensus statement on the diagnosis and management of arrhythmias associated with cardiac sarcoidosis. Heart. 2016;102(6):411.
5. Kim JS, Judson MA, Donnino R, Gold M, Cooper LT, Prystowsky EN, et al. Cardiac sarcoidosis. American Heart Journal. 2009;157(1):9-21.
6. Okada DR, Bravo PE, Vita T, Agarwal V, Osborne MT, Taqueti VR, et al. Isolated cardiac sarcoidosis: A focused review of an under-recognized entity. Journal of nuclear cardiology : official publication of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology. 2018;25(4):1136-46.
7. Birnie DH, Nery PB, Ha AC, Beanlands RSB. Cardiac Sarcoidosis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;68(4):411-21.
8. Cooper TJ, Day AJ, Weller PH, Geddes DM. Sarcoidosis in two patients with cystic fibrosis: a fortuitous association? Thorax. 1987;42(10):818-20.
9. Rettinger SD, Trulock EP, Mackay B, Auerbach HS. Sarcoidosis in an adult with cystic fibrosis. Thorax. 1989;44(10):829-30.
10. Bombieri C, Luisetti M, Belpinati F, Zuliani E, Beretta A, Baccheschi J, et al. Increased frequency of CFTR gene mutations in sarcoidosis: a case/control association study. Eur J Hum Genet. 2000;8(9):717-20.
11. Labombarda F, Saloux E, Brouard J, Bergot E, Milliez P. Heart involvement in cystic fibrosis – A specific cystic fibrosis – related myocardial changes? Respir Med. 2016;18:31-38.