Main Article Content
Systemic vasculitis; Computed tomography; Behçet disease; Emergency
Behçet disease (BD) is a systemic disorder caused by underlying vasculitis of unknown origin. In this paper we present a case of a 26-year-old male patient who was admitted at our Emergency Department with massive haemoptysis due to pulmonary arterial involvement in BD. The discussion of this case helps to remember that BD is the main cause of aneurysm of the pulmonary arteries and a cause of haemoptysis in young patients. Therefore, the radiologist plays a key role in the identification of intrathoracic alterations with chest computed tomography. The knowledge of clinical manifestations and distinctive elements of BD allow an accurate diagnosis and let the patient to be directed towards an appropriate treatment, in order to avoid the onset of life-threatening complications.
2. Chae EJ, Do KH, Seo JB, Park SH, Kang JW, Jang YM et al. Radiological and clinical findings of Behçet disease: comprehensive review of multisystemic involvement. Radiographics 2008; 10.1148/rg.e31
3. Verity DH, Wallace GR, Vaughan RW, Stanford MR. Behçet disease: from Hippocrates to the third millennium. Br J Ophtalmol 2003; 87:1175-83
4. Davatchi F, Shahram F, Chams-Davatchi C, Shams H, Nadji A, Akhlaghi M et al. Behçet disease: from east to west. Clin Rheumatol 2010; 29:823-833
5. Davatchi F. Behçet disease. Int J Rheum Dis 2014; 17(4):355-357. Doi: 10.1111/1756-185X.12378
6. Hiller N, Lieberman S, Chajek-Shaul T et al. Thoracic manifestations of Behçet disease at CT. Radiographics 2004; 24, 801-8. Doi: 10.1148/rg.243035091
7. Tunaci A, Berkmen YM, Gokemen E. Thoracic involvement in Behçet disease: pathologic, clinical and imaging features. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1995; 164:51-56
8. Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet disease. International Study Group for Behçet disease. Lancet 1990; 335(8697):1078-1080
9. International Team for the Revision of the Internationa Criteria for Behçet Disease (ITR-ICBD). The International Criteria for Behçet Disease (ICBD): a collaborative study of 27 countries on the sensitivity and specificity of the new criteria. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2014; 28(3):338-47. Doi: 10.1111/jdv.12107
10. Bruzzi JF, Rémy-Jardin M, Delhaye D et al. Multi-detector row CT of hemoptysis. Radiographics 2006; 26(1):3-22. Doi: 10.1148/rg.261045726
11. Ong ZY, Chai HZ, How CH, Koh J, Low TB. A simplified approach to haemoptysis. Singapore Med J 2016; 57(8):415-8. Doi:10.11622/smedj.2016130
12. Hamuryudan V, Yurdakul S, Moral F et al. Pulmonary artery aneurysms in Behçet syndrome: report of 24 cases. Br J Rheumathol 1994; 33:48-51
13. Xing W, Swaminathan G, Raj Appadorai D, Sule AA. A rare case of Behçet disease presenting with pyrexia of unknown origin, pulmonary embolism and right ventricular thrombus. Int J Angiol 2013; 22:193-8. Doi: 10.1055/s-0033-1347906
14. Erkan F. Pulmonary involvement in Behçet disease. Curr Opin Pulm Med 1999; 5:314-318.
15. Durieux P, Bletry O, Huchon G et al. Multiple pulmonary arterial aneurysms in Behçet disease and Hughes-Stovin syndrome. Am J Med 1981; 71:736-41
16. Eliker BM, Webb WR. Fundamentals of high-resolution lung CT 2013; Wolters&Kluwer – Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Section 2, chapter 7, p 114
17. Erkan F, Yazici Y, Sanders A et al. Is Huges-Stovin syndrome Behçet disease? Clin Exp Rheumthol 2004; 22:S64-S68
18. Huong DL, Wechsler B, Papo T et al. Endomyocardial fibrosis in Behçet Disease. Ann Rheum Dis 1997; 56:205-208
19. Atzeni F, Sarzi-Puttini P, Doria A et al. Behçet Disease and cardiovascular involvement. Lupus 2005; 14:723-726
20. Cozzi D, Dini C, Mungai F, Puccini B, Rigacci L, Miele V. Primary pulmonary lymphoma: imaging findings in 30 cases. Radiol Med 2019; 124(12):1262-1269.
21. Houman M, Ksontini I, Ben Ghorbel I et al. Association of right heart thrombosis, endomyocardial fibrosis, and pulmonary artery aneurysm in Behçet disease. Eur J Intern Med 2002; 13:455
22. Cozzi D, Moroni C, Addeo G, Danti G, Lanzetta MM, Cavigli E et al. Radiological patterns of lung involvement in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2018; Aug 12:5697846.
23. Marc K, Iraqui G, Jniene A et al. Intracardiac thrombus and pulmonary artery aneurysms in Behçet disease. Rev Mal Respir 2008; 25(1)69-72
24. Emad Y, Abdel-Razek N, Gheita T et al. Multislice CT pulmonary findings in Behçet Disease (report of 16 cases). Clin Rheumatol 2007; 26(6):879-884