What will our children do when we are gone? Italian legislature does not tackle the worries of parents of disabled children. Reflections on disability.
Main Article Content
disabled people, severely disabled, civil rights, legislation, international trust
Background: Over the last fifty years the concept of health has passed, hence from a humanitarian and charitable approach to an approach based on respect for human rights and the removal of obstacles and discrimination. This is an important change because of the need for legislature to address the necessities of disabled people. Legislation analysis: The Italian Law n. 112/2016 recognized the importance of a more ‘human’ relationship between seriously disabled people and the context in which they live. The law gave the power to severely disabled individuals to decide whether to continue to live in their apartment alone, or sharing the own apartments with others, or move to an assisted living structure, after their parents’ death. Conclusion: Unfortunately, a strong limitation of the law is that it is mainly designed only in favor of severely disabled individuals, thus excluding other people who have also the need and the right to better living conditions, and the choice of trust, which is expensive and not available to all families. This review aims to make a revision of national and international legislation on disability, underlining lights and shadows to provide insights for future implementations and improvements.
2. Di Fazio N, Caporale M, Fazio V, et al. Italian law no. 1/2021 on the subject of vaccination against Covid-19 in people with mental disabilities within the nursing homes. Clin Ter. 2021;172(5):414-419.
3. Frati P, Fineschi V, Di Sanzo M, et al. Preimplantation and prenatal diagnosis, wrongful birth and wrongful life: a global view of bio-ethical and legal controversies. Hum Reprod Update. 2017;23(3):338-357.
4. Shuttleton DE. The idea of disability in the eighteenth century. Disability & Society 2016; 31:722-723.
5. Fiorini F Granata A, Battaglia Y, Karaboue MAA. Talking about medicine through mass media Giornale italiano di nefrologia: organo ufficiale della Società italiana di nefrologia, 2019, 36(1)
6. Frati P, Vergallo GM, Zampi M, Di Luca NM. Evoluzione normativa in materia di tutela dei soggetti portatori di handicap [Legislative evolution in matter of protection for disabled persons]. Med Secoli 2006;18(2):569-603.
7. La Russa, R., Fazio, V., Ferrara, M. et al. Proactive Risk Assessment Through Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) for Haemo-dialysis Facilities: A Pilot Project. Frontiers in Public Health, 2022, 10, 823680
8. Bertozzi, G., Ferrara, M., La Russa, R. et al. Wound Vitality in Decomposed Bodies: New Frontiers Through Immunohistochemistry. Frontiers in Medicine, 2021, 8, 802841
9. Raspini, M., Cavalcanti, R., Clementini, M., Karaboue, M., Sforza, N.M., Cairo, F. Dental Cadmos, 2021, 89(5), pp. 346–356 Peri-odontitis and italians (2016-2020): Need for clinical guidelines to perform effective therapy. Dental Cadmos Volume 89, Issue 5, Pa-ges 346 – 3562021.
10. Granata, V., Pradella, S., Cozzi, D. et al. Computed tomography structured reporting in the staging of lymphoma: A delphi consensus proposal. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2021, 10(17), 4007 Computed tomography structured reporting in the staging of lymphoma: A delphi consensus proposal
11. Granata, V., Faggioni, L., Grassi, R., ...Miele, V., Coppola, F. Radiologia Medica, 2022, 127(1), pp. 21–29 Structured reporting of computed tomography in the staging of colon cancer: a Delphi consensus proposal
12. Giaconi, C., Manetti, A.C., Turco, S., Karaboue M, Neri, E., Di Paolo, M. Radiologia Medica, 2022, 127(3), pp. 318–329 Post-mortem computer tomography in ten cases of death while diving: a retrospective evaluation .
13. Sessa, F., Salerno, M., Bertozzi, G. et al. Touch DNA: Impact of handling time on touch deposit and evaluation of different recovery techniques: An experimental study.Scientific Reports, 2019, 9(1), 9542
14. Piccioni, A., Cicchinelli, S., Saviano, L. et al. Risk management in first aid for acute drug intoxication. International Journal of Envi-ronmental Research and Public Health, 2020, 17(21), pp. 1–14, 8021
15. Dell’aquila, M., Maiese, A., De Matteis, A. et al. Traumatic brain injury: Estimate of the age of the injury based on neuroinflamma-tion, endothelial activation markers and adhesion molecules. Histology and Histopathology, 2021, 36(8), pp. 795–806
16. Pinchi E, Frati P, Arcangeli M, et al. MicroRNAs: The New Challenge for Traumatic Brain Injury Diagnosis. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2020;18(4):319-331.
17. Maiese, A., Passaro, G., Matteis, A. et al. Thromboinflammatory response in SARS-CoV-2 sepsis. The Medico-legal journal, 2020, 88(2), pp. 78–80
18. Fineschi V, Arcangeli M, Di Fazio N, et al. Defensive Medicine in the Management of Cesarean Delivery: A Survey among Italian Physicians. Healthcare (Basel). 2021;9(9):1097.
19. Frati P, La Russa R, Di Fazio N et al. Compulsory Vaccination for Healthcare Workers in Italy for the Prevention of SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Vaccines (Basel). 2021;9(9):966.
20. Bertozzi G, Cafarelli FP, Ferrara M, et al. Sudden Cardiac Death and Ex-Situ Post-Mortem Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Morphological Study Based on Diagnostic Correlation Methodology. Diagnostics (Basel). 2022;12(1):218.
21. Maiese A, Volonnino G, Viola RV, et al. A rare case of Spinal Epidural Abscess following mesotherapy: a challenging diagnosis and the importance of clinical risk management. Considerations concerning uncommon risk factor for development of Spinal Epidural Abscess and its prevention. Clin Ter. 2020;170(1):e15-e18.
22. Granata, V, Coppola, F, Grassi R. Structured Reporting of Computed Tomography in the Staging of Neuroendocrine Neoplasms: A Delphi Consensus Proposal. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 2021, 12, 748944.
23. Pagano, A.M., Maiese, A., Izzo, C. et al. Covid‐19 risk management and screening in the penitentiary facilities of the salerno province in Southern Italy. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2020, 17(21), pp. 1–9, 8033
24. Bernetti, A., La Russa, R., de Sire, A. et al. Cervical Spine Manipulations: Role of Diagnostic Procedures, Effectiveness, and Safety from a Rehabilitation and Forensic Medicine Perspective: A Systematic Review. Diagnostics, 2022, 12(5), 1056
25. Mazzariol, B., Karaboue, M., Di Luca, A. et al. Guidelines, good practices and best clinical health practices: Valuable guidance for physicians and judges? Clinica Terapeutica, 2018, 169(6), pp. E292–E296
26. Sansone, M., Grassi, R., Belfiore, M.P. et al. Radiomic features of breast parenchyma: assessing differences between FOR PROCES-SING and FOR PRESENTATION digital mammography. Insights into Imaging, 2021, 12(1), 147
27. Granata, V., Morana, G., D’onofrio et al. Structured reporting of computed tomography and magnetic resonance in the staging of pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A delphi consensus proposal. Diagnostics, 2021, 11(11), 2033
28. Granata, V., Fusco, R., Costa, M. et al. Preliminary report on computed tomography radiomics features as biomarkers to immunothe-rapy selection in lung adenocarcinoma patients. Cancers, 2021, 13(16), 3992
29. Granata, V., Fusco, R., Bicchierai, G. et al. Diagnostic protocols in oncology: workup and treatment planning. Part 1: The optimitation of CT protocol. European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, 2021, 25(22), pp. 6972–6994
30. Cantisani, V., Iannetti, G., Miele, V. et al. Addendum to the sonographic medical act. Journal of ultrasound, 2021, 24(3), pp. 229–230