Main Article Content
Weight loss methods, wrestling, competition
Study Objectives: The weight loss in sports is a method that has been implemented so much in several championships for a long time. It is thought that the athletes will be more successful in a lower weight and are considered to be effective, but it is underestimated that the unconscious weight loss causes health problems and negative effects on organisms. In this study, it was aimed to investigate weight loss methods and effects on elite wrestlers and determining the difference between freestyle and Greco-roman style. Methods: The research consists of a total of 97 wrestlers, who are in the U23 Turkish national team category and lose weight before the competition. For determining the weight loss methods and effects on a wrestler, "The athlete's weight loss method and effects scale" was used. Mann-Whitney U test was used for comparison of freestyle and Greco-roman style wrestlers' weight loss methods and effects scale scores. Results: Although there was no significant difference between Greco-roman and freestyle wrestlers in the psychological effect, ergogenic aids, diet, and fluid loss sub-dimensions, physiological effect sub-dimension mean were statistically significant between freestyle and Greco-roman wrestlers (p<0.05). Conclusion: As a result, it was found that wrestlers in both groups (Greco-roman and free-style) had more muscle spasms, respiratory disorders, heart palpitations, and injuries with weight loss. It was also found that both freestyle and Greco-roman wrestlers preferred to reduce fat consumption and run with raincoats, as a weight loss method.
2. Kılıç M. Yıldız kategorisindeki güreşçilerde (15-16 yaş grubu) kısa sureli sıvı kaybının performansa etkisi. Yüksek lisans tezi, Selçuk Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü. Konya. Türkiye 1998. [Master thesis in Turkish]
3. Başaran M. Güreşin öğretim ve antrenman temelleri. 4. Baskı., Gençlik ve Spor Akademisi Yayınları, Manisa, 1989.
4. Ransone J, Hughst B. Body-weight fluctuation in collegiate wrestlers implications of the national collegiate athletic association weight-certification program. J Athl Train 2004; 39(2): 162-165.
5. Kordi R, Ziaee V, Rostami M, et al. Patterns of weight loss and supplement consumption of male wrestlers in Tehran. Sports Med Arthrosc Rehabil Ther Technol 2011; 3(4): 1-7.
6. Ersoy G, Hasbay A. Sporcu Beslenmesi 1. Klas Matbaacılık, Ankara 2008, 7-25.
7. Demirkan E, Koz M, Kutlu M. The effects of dehydration on athletic performance and monitoring hydration levels. Spormetre 2010; 8(3): 81-92.
8. Yarar H, Eroğlu H, Uzum H, et al. Athlete weight loss methodology and effects scale: validity and reliability study. Journal of Human Sciences 2016; 13(3): 6164-6175.
9. Kiningham RB, Gorenflo DW. Weight loss methods of high school wrestlers. Med Sci Sport Exer 2001; 33(5): 810-13.
10. Farhan H, Amirsasan R, Mahdavi B. The comparison methods and effects of rapid weight loss between elite teen freestyle and greco-roman wrestlers bull. Bull Env Pharmacol Life Sci 2014; 3(2): 441-45.
11. Bradley DD. Prevalence and effect rapid weight loss among international style wrestlers Dept. HPER. Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI, USA 1401 Presque Isle Marquetta 2006; 1-17.
12. Oppliger RA, Steen SA, Scott JR. Weight loss practices of college wrestlers. Int J Sport Nutr Exe 2003; 13(1): 29-46.
13. Yarar H, Türkyılmaz R, Eroğlu H, et al. The determination of weight loss profiles on elite wrestler. Atabesbd 2017; 19(4); 52-63.
14. Brito CJ, Roas AF, Brito IS, et al. Methods of body mass reduction by combat sport athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exe 2012; 22(2): 89-97.
15. Artioli GG, Gualano B, Franchini E, et al. Prevalence, magnitude, and methods of rapid weight loss among judo competitors. Med Sci Sport Exer 2010; 42(3): 436-442.
16. Andreato LV, Andreato TV, Santos JFS, et al. Weight loss in mixed martial arts athletes. Journal of Combat Sports and Martial Arts 2014; 5(2): 125-131.
17. Yağmur R, Işık Ö, Kılıç Y, et al. Weight loss methods and effects on the elite cadet greco-romen wrestlers. JTRM in Kinesiology 2019; 33-40.
18. Yağmur R, Işık Ö, Kılıç Y, et al. The hydration status and thyroid hormones levels among elite wrestlers. Prog Nutr 2019; 21(4): 952-957.
19. Songün Y, Katkat D, Budak D. Assessment of doping control applications of national sports federations in Turkey. Spormetre 2015; 13(2): 93-102.
20. Garthe I, Borgen JS. Weight loss methods and nutritional routines in athletes participating in european championship kick-boxing budva. The Norwegian School of Sport Sciences 2004.
21. Alpay CB, Ersöz Y, Karagöz Ş, et al. A comparison of weight loss, body composition and some mineral levels before competition in elite wrestlers. IntJSCS 2015; 4: 338-342.
22. Isik O, Cicioglu HI. Dehydration, skeletal muscle damage and inflammation before the competitions among the elite wrestlers. J Phys Ther Sci 2016; 28(1): 162-168.
23. Isik O, Dogan I. Body components changes and depression scores before competitions among elite female wrestlers. Acta Kinesiol 2017; 11(1): 23-27.
24. Şahin İ. Niğde Üniversitesi güreş takımındaki güreşçilerin kısa süreli kilo düşmeleri sonucu motorik özelliklerinde meydana gelen değişiklikler, Niğde Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Niğde, Türkiye, 2000. [Master Thesis in Turkish].
25. Timpmann S, Ööpik V, Pääsuke M, et al. Acute effects of self-selected regimen of rapid body mass loss in combat sports athletes. J Sports Sci Med 2008; 7(2): 210-217.
26. Rad SS, Zolfaghari MR, Eslamfar MT, et al. Effect of rapid weight loss on VO2max of young wrestler. Int J Sci Study 2015; 5(5): 549-552.
27. Teresa I, Pugh S, Pugh J. Effect of hydration state on heart rate-based estimates of VO2max. Prof Exerc Physiol 2004; 7(1): 19-25.
28. Weiss EP, Racette SB, Villareal DT, et al. Lower extremity muscle size and strength and aerobic capacity decrease with caloric restriction but not with exercise-induced weight loss. J Appl Physiol 2007; 102(2): 634-640.