Main Article Content
Mountain Bicycle, Competition Setting, Skeletal Muscle Damage
Study Objectives: The purpose of the present study was to monitor the levels of skeletal muscle damage of elite mountain bikers during the official mountain marathon. Methods: The study group consisted of 12 male elite mountain bikers. The implementation of the study was performed during the official 6th International Manavgat Mountain Biking competition on 01.04.2018 in the Manavgat District of Antalya. The blood samples of the athletes were taken before the competition, immediately after the competition, 24 hours, 48 hours, and 72 hours after the competition, The descriptive statistics were given as mean, standard deviation, and minimum and maximum values. The normality test of the data was checked with the Shapiro-Wilk Test. The Friedman Test was preferred among non-parametric tests for repeated measurements in the analysis of the data that did not have normal distribution. The Dunn’ Post-Hoc Test was used to determine the source of the differences between measurement times. Results; According to the results, it was determined that there were statistically significant difference between skeletal muscle damage markers according to measurement times. Conclusion: As a result, it may be speculated that the competition setting is a marker of skeletal muscle damage in elite mountain bikers. Among the bio-motoric characteristics, endurance is important in elite mountain bikers, as a characteristic of their branches, long-term exercise cause that they use heart beat at a maximum level; and therefore, it can be argued that this prepares the ground for skeletal muscle damage marker.
2. Konig D, Schumacher YO, Heinrich L, et al. Myocardial stres after competitiv exercise in professionel road cyclist. Med Sci Sports Exercise 2003; (35): 1678-83.
3. Shave RE, Dawson E, Whyte G, et al. The cardiospecificity of the third-generation ctnt assay after axercise induced muscle damage. Med Sci Sports Exercise 2002; (34): 651-4.
4. Isik, O. The effect of dehydration on the skeletal muscle damage and inflammation in elite wrestles. Doctoral Dissertation, Gazi University, Turkey.
5. Clarkson PM, Hubal MJ. Exercise induced muscle damage in humans. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2002; (81): 52-69.
6. Smith LL, Miles MP. Exercise Induced Muscle Injury And Inflamation Ed: Garrett JR, Kırkendall DT. Exercise And Sport Science, Lippincott Williams And Wilkins: Philadelphia. 2000; 401-411.
7. Friden J, Lieber RL, Eccentric exercise induced injuries to contractile and cytoiskeletal muscle fibre components. Acta Physiol Scand 2001; (171): 321-326.
8. Isik O, Cicioglu, HI. Dehydration, skeletal muscle damage and inflammation before the competitions among the elite wrestlers. J Phys Ther Sci 2016; 28(1): 162-8.
9. Vincent HK, Vincent KR. The effect of traning status on the serum cretine kinese response, soreness and muscle fonction fallowing resistance exercise. J Sports Med 1997; 18 (6): 431-7.
10. Schneider CM, Dennehy CA, Rodearmael SJ, et al. Effects of physical activity on creatine phosphokinase and the isoenzyme creatine kinase–MB, Ann Emerg Med 1995; 25(4): 520-4.
11. Noakes TD. Effects of exercise on serum enzyme activities in humans. Sports Med 1987; (4): 245-67.
12. Howatson G, Milak A. Exercise-induced muscle damage following a bout of sport specific repeated sprints. J Strength Cond Res 2009; 23(8): 2419-24.
13. Baker J, Hullin D, Davies B. Evidence for muscle damage following variation ın resistive force during concentric high ıntensity cycle ergometry exercise. Body Mass or Composition. JEP Online 2005; 8(5): 43-51.
14. Hazar S. Farklı Türdeki Kuvvet Antrenmanlarının İskelet ve Kalp Kası Enzim Aktivitelerine Akut Etkisi. G.Ü. Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi, Ankara. 2004.
15. Çetinkaya E. 17 Yaş altı futbolcularda sezon başı hazırlık dönemi antrenmanının bazı biyomotorik, fizyolojik, biyokimyasal parametreler ile kas hasarı üzerine etkisinin incelenmesi. G.Ü. Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi, Ankara. 2014.
16. Nose H, Takamata A, Mack GW, et al. Water and electrolyte balace in the vascular space during graded exercise in humans, J Appl Physiol 1991; 70(6): 2757-62.
17. Bouhlel E, Jouini A, Gmada N, et al. Heart rate and blood lactate responses during taekwondo training and competition, Science Sports. 2006; (21): 285-90.
18. Şendil A. Dehidrate olmuş bireylerde step machine aletinde yapılan egzersize bağlı olarak oluşan, gecikmiş kas ağrısı (doms) üzerine izotonik spor içeceklerinin etkisi. Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yayımlanmamış doktora tezi, Ankara. 2008.