Main Article Content
feijoa, antioxidant activity, catechins, phenols, DPPH method, flavonoids
Feijoa is one of the most interesting fruit cultures in Georgia. Feijoa is a cross-pollinated plant. Therefore, it produces huge variety from selectionist point of view. New forms differ not only in their structure but also in chemical composition. 10 samples of Feijoa were chosen from different regions of Georgia and their chemical characteristics were determined. Moreover, DPPH method was used for determining their antioxidant activity. Our investigation has revealed that out of ten samples four were the most interesting for their chemical properties such as the amount of total phenols, Flavonoids, Catechins and antioxidant activity.
2. Ruberto G, Tringali C. Secondary metabolites from the leaves of Feijoa sellowiana Berg. Phytochem 2004; 65: 2947-2951.
3. Weston RJ. Bioactive products from fruit of the feijoa (Feijoa sellowiana, Myrtaceae): A review. Food Chem 2010; 121(4): 923-926.
4. Hardy PJ, Michael BJ. Volatile components of feijoa fruits. Phytochemistry. 1970; 9(6): 1355-1357.
5. Canhoto JM, Cruz GS. Feijoa sellowiana Berg (Pineapple Guava), in Trees IV, Y.P.S. Bajaj, Editor. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 1996; 155-171.
6. Al-Harthy AAS. 2010. Postharvest treatments to extend the storage life of feijoa (Acca sellowiana): a thesis presented in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Food Technology at Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
7. Schotsmans WC, East A, Thorp G, Woolf A. Feijoa (Acca sellowiana Berg Burret), in Postharvest Biology and Technology of Tropical and Subtropical Fruits. Woodhead Publishing 2011; 115-135e.
8. Pasquariello MS, Mastrobuoni F, Di Patre D, Zampella L, Capuano RL, Scorichini M, Petriccione M. Agronomic, nutraceutical and molecular variability of feijoa (Acca sellowiana (O. Berg) Burret) germplasm. Scientia Horticulturae 2015; 191: 1-9.
9. Beyhan Ö, Elmastas M, Gedikli F. Total phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of leaf, dry fruit and fresh fruit of feijoa (Acca sellowiana,Myrtaceae). J Med Plants Res 2010; 4(11): 1065-1072.
10. Beyhan O, Bozkurt M, Boysal S. Deternimation of macro-micro nutrient in dried fruit and leaves and some pomological characterictics of selected Feijoagenotypes (Feijoa .sellowiana Berg.) from sacarya provinces in Tyrkey. J Anim Plant Sci 2011; 21: 251-255.
11. Karami M, Salehi H, Naghhvar F. Stady of Histopathology and Antioxidant Activity of Methanolic Extract of Feijoa sellowiana against Dodage Induced by MD-MA in Mouse Liver. Pharmacologyonline 2008; 3: 315-321.
12. Belous O, Omarov M, Omarova Z. Chemical composition of fruits of a Feijoa (F.sellowiana) in the conditions of subtropics of Russia. Potravinárstvo Scientific Journal for Food Industry 2014; 8: 119-123.
13. Basile A, Conte B, Rigano D, Senatore F, Sorbo S. Antibacterial and antifungal properties of acetonic extract of Feijoa sellowiana fruits and its effect on Helicobacter pylori growth. J Med Food 2010; 13(1): 189-195.
14. Vuotto ML, Basile A, Moscatiello V, De Sole P, Castaldo-Cobianchi R, Laghi E, Ielpo MT. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Feijoa sellowiana fruit. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2000; 13(3): 197-201.
15. Amarowicz R, Pegg RB, Rahimi-Moghaddam P, Barl B, Weil JA. Free-radical scavenging capacity and antioxidant activity of selected plant species from the Canadian prairies. Food Chem 2004; 84: 551-562.
16. Rossi A, Rigano D, Pergola C, Formisano C, Basile A, Bramanti P,Senatore F, Sautebin L. Inhibition of inducible nitric oxidesynthase expression by an acetonic extract from Feijoa sellowiana Berg Fruit. J Agric Food Chem . 2007; 27:5053-5061.
17. Basile A, Vuotto ML, Violante U, Sorbo S, Martone G, Castaldo-Cobianchi R. Antibacterial activity in Actinidia chinensis,Feijoa sellowiana and Aberia caffra. Int J Antimicrob Agents 1997; 8: 199-203.
18. Kabiri S, Gheybi F, Jokar M, Basiri S. Antioxidant activity and physicochemical properties of fresh, dried and infused herbal extract of Feijoa Fruit. Nature and Science 2016; 14(12) 13: 64-70.
19. Motohashi N, Kawase M, Shirataki Y, Tani S, Saito S, Sakagami H, Kurihara T, Nakashima H, Wolfard K, Mucsi I, Varga A, Molnár J. Biological activity of feijoa peel extracts. Anticancer Res 2000; 20(6B): 4323-4329.
20. Fukumoto L, Mazza G. Assessing antioxidant and prooxidant activities of phenolic compounds. J Agric Food Chem 2000; 48(8): 3597-3604.
21. Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 1958; 181: 1199-1200.
22. Ceccarini MR, Codini M, Cataldi S, Vannini S, Lazzarini A, Floridi A, Moretti M, Villarini M, Fioretti B, Beccari T, Albi E. Acid sphingomyelinase as target of Lycium Chinense: promising new action for cell health. Lipids Health Dis 2016; 15(1): 183.
23. Ceccarini MR, Vannini S, Cataldi S, Moretti M, Villarini M, Fioretti B, Albi E, Beccari T, Codini M. In Vitro Protective Effects of Lycium barbarum Berries Cultivated in Umbria (Italy) on Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells. Biomed Res Int. 2016; 2016: 7529521.
24. Pagano C, Perioli L, Baiocchi C, Bartoccini A, Beccari T, Blasi F, Calarco P, Ceccarini MR, Cossignani L, di Michele A, Ortenzi R, Scuota S, Ricci M. Preparation and characterization of polymeric microparticles loaded with Moringa oleifera leaf extract for exuding wound treatment. Int J Pharm 2020; 587: 119700.
25. Pagano C, Marinozzi M, Baiocchi C, Beccari T, Calarco P, Ceccarini MR, Chielli M, Orabona C, Orecchini E, Ortenzi R, Ricci M, Scuota S, Tiralti MC, Perioli L. Bioadhesive Polymeric Films Based on Red Onion Skins Extract for Wound Treatment: An Innovative and Eco-Friendly Formulation. Molecules 2020; 25(2): 318.
26. Gorgoshidze GM. The technical and chemical indexes of Feijoa fruit. Journal of Subtropical cultures 1972; 89-91.
27. Kedelidze N, Baratashvili D, Meskhidze A, Khalvashi N, Nakashidze I. Biological specifics of male gametophyte in feijoa sellowiana berg. Int J Curr Res 2015; 7(8): 9315-19318.
28. Shalashvili A, Ugrekhelidze D, Targamadze N, Tsereteli L. Phenolic compounds and antiradical efficieny of Georgian (Kakhetian ) wines. J Food Eng 2011; 1: 361-365.
29. El-Shenawi SM, Marzouk MS, El Dib RA, Elyazed HEA, Shaffie NM, Moharram FE. Polyphenols and biological a ctivities of Feijoa sellowiana leaves and twigs. Revista Latinoamericana de Química. 2008; 36: 103-120.
30. Monforte MT, Lanuzza F, Mondello F, Naccari C, Pergolizzi S, Galati EM. Phytochemical compositon and gastroprotective effect of Feijoa sellowiana Berg fruit from Sicily. J Coastal Life Med 2014; 2(1): 14-21.