Main Article Content
Volleyball, Volleyball Player, Sports Life, Happiness
Study Objectives: Happiness is an important emotion for the careers and performances of athletes. For this reason, the research aimed to measure the happiness perceptions of the female athletes playing in the Turkish Sultans Volleyball League. Methods: In accordance with this purpose, interviews were conducted with 18 Turkish volleyball players by using the criterion sampling method, one of the purposive sampling methods. A questionnaire that involved a personal information form and a semi-structured interview form prepared by the researchers was used as the data collection tool. In the analysis of qualitative data, descriptive analysis techniques were utilized. Results: The interview form contained a single question that investigated three things giving happiness to volleyball. This question was supported by the question of “why”. When the data was analyzed, it was determined that the main themes that affected the happiness perceptions of the volleyball players were sociological, psychological, economic, and physiological reasons. Conclusion: In conclusion, for Turkish female volleyball players playing in the Turkish Sultans League, happiness is; doing the sport they love in the team they feel belonged to, building a career through quality training thanks to adequate club facilities, working with qualified coaches who are fair, winning matches, and earning money by playing in accordance with their goals, and thus improving their self-confidence, and being physically, and mentally healthy.
2. Afacan E. Beden eğitimi ve sporun sosyolojik boyutları. Akademisyen Kitabevi. 2020.[In Turkish]
3. Bengü M. Voleybol. Adam Yayıncılık. 1983.[In Turkish]
4. Dearing J. Volleyball fundamentals. Human Kinetics, Champaign. 2003.
5. Kenny B, Gregory C. Volleyball: steps to success. Human Kinetics, Champaign. 2006.
6. Hanrahan SJ. Culturally competent practitioners, handbook of applied sport psychology. Routledge. 2010.
7. Furnham A. Gerçekten bilmeniz gereken 50 psikoloji fikri. (Trans., Sumru Ağır Yürüyen), Domingo Yayıncılık. 2014.[In Turkish]
8. Rousseau JJ Emile. (Trans., Yaşar Avunç), Türkiye İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları. 2019.
9. Zhang Z, Chen W. A systematic review of the relationship between physical activity and happiness. Journal of Happiness Studies. 2019: 20(4), 1305-1322.
10. Kye SY, Kwon JH, Park K. Happiness and health behaviors in South Korean adolescents: A cross-sectional study. Epidemiology and Health. 2016: 38, e2016022.
11. Min JH, Lee EY, Spence JC, Jeon JY. Physical activity, weight status and psychological well-being among a large national sample of South Korean adolescents. Mental Health and Physical Activity. 2017:12, 44-49.
12. Epiktetos. İçsel huzur iyi yaşamın kapısını açar. (Trans., Cengiz Erengil), Koleksiyon Yayıncılık. 2010.
13. Köroğlu E. Akılcı düşünme. HYB Yayıncılık. 2006.[In Turkish]
14. Slaikeu K, Lawhead S. Yenilgilerle başarı. (Trans, Lütfi Yarbaş), İlya Yayınevi. 2003.
15. Jin H, Chen G, Hee SY. A cross-cultural study of the sports happiness perception among korean, chinese, and japanese elite swimming athletes. International Journal of Applied Sports Sciences. 2017: 29 (2), 128-142.
16. Palinkas LA, Horwitz SM, Green CA, Wisdom JP, Duan N, Hoagwood K. Purposeful sampling for qualitative data collection and analysis in mixed method implementation research. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 2015: 42(5), 533-44.
17. Yıldırım A, Şimşek H. Sosyal bilimlerde nitel araştırma yöntemleri, Seçkin yayıncılık. 2013.[In Turkish]
18. Beytekin OF, Kılıç F. Factors affecting the decision-making process of primary schools principals. E-International Journal of Pedandragogy. 2021: 1(1), 37-54.
19. Başer E. Futbolda psikoloji ve başarı. Sporsal Kuram Dizisi. 1996.[In Turkish]
20. Mack DE, Wilson PM, Oster KG, Kowalski KC, Crocker PR, Sylvester BD. Well-being in volleyball players: Examining the contributions of independent and balanced psychological need satisfaction. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2011: 12(5), 533-539.
21. Hallmann K, Breuer C, Kuhnreich B. Happiness, pride and elite sporting success: What population segments gain most from national athletic achievements? Sport Management Review. 2013: 16, 226–235.
22. Beiki Y, Ghorbani S, Esfahani Nia, A, & Bai N. Explaining happiness and behavioral regulations in sport based on satisfaction with the financial income of national beach volleyball players. Sport Psychology Studies, 2020: 9(33), 233-252.
23. Hrcek V, Baglas I. Is financial reward enough for motivation in football? Sport Mont, 2018: 16(2), 107-111.
24. Baixauli Gallego, E. Happiness: Role of dopamine and serotonin on mood and negative emotions. Emergency Medicine. 2017: 6(2), 33-51.
25. Abdaun A, K Al-Saadi, AJG, Abdul Wahid HAE. The effect of training loads and its relation with happiness of volleyball players in al-qasim sport club under the maximum in some physical variables and serotonin. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. 2019: 10(10), 2981.