Main Article Content
Soybean, irrigation, fatty acids, principle component analysis
The aim of this study to determine the effect of different irrigation levels on fatty acid components of forage soybean. The study was carried out in Kahramanmaras, Turkey. Yesilsoy variety was used as a soybean variety which is suitable for growing in semi-arid climatic regions. Four irrigation (I100, I75, I50, I25) levels were applied to the plants. I100: treatment that plant water needs are met completely, I75: deficiency 25% of I100 treatment, I50: deficiency 50% of I100 treatment, I25: deficiency 75% of I100 treatment. At the end of the study, oleic and linoleic acid were found the largest proportion of total fatty acid content. In fatty acids other than arachidic acid was not difference in terms of irrigation levels. The maximum rate was I50 and I75 with 0.48% while the minimum was I25 with 0.21% in arachidic acid. Significant positive correlations were seen among fatty acids such as between oleik and palmitic acids (r=0.264) and also among oleik with behenic acid (r=0.358). This study will contribute to future studies with different locations and more soybean varieties.
2. Salunkhe DK, Pattee HE, Sathe SK, Reddy NR, Ory RL. Legume lipids. Crc Crıt. Rev. Food Scı. Nutr. 1982; 17: 97-189.
3. Grieshop CM, Fahey GC. Comparison of quality characteristics of soybeans from Brazil, China, and the United States. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2001; 49: 2669-2673.
4. Harue T, Hirokadzu T. Influence of location on the chemical composition of soybean seeds. Proc. Crop Sci. Soc. Jpn. 1971; 40: 530-534.
5. Chapman GW, Robertson JA, Budrick D. Chemical composition and lipoxygenase activity in soybean affected by genotype and environment. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 1976; 53: 54- 56.
6. Chu WS, Sheldon VL. Soybean oil quality as influenced by planting site and variety. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 1979; 56: 71-75.
7. Wilcox JR, Cavins JF. Backcrossing high seed protein to a soybean cultivar. Crop Sci. 1995; 35: 1036-1041.
8. Boydak E, Alpaslan M, Hayta M, Gerçek S, Simsek M. Seed composition of soybeans grown in the Harran region of Turkey as affected by row spacing and irrigation. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2002; 50: 4718-4720.
9. Kumawat SM, Dhakar LL, Maliwal PL. Effect of irrigation regimes and nitrogen on yield, oil content and nutrient uptake of soybean (Glycine max). Indian J. Agron. 2000; 45: 361-366.
10. Ali Q, Ashraf M, Anwar F. Physicochemical attributes of seed oil from drought stressed sunflower (Helianthus annus L.) plants. Grasas Aceites 2009; 60: 475–481.
11. Ali Q, Ashraf M, Anwar F. Seed Composition and Seed Oil Antioxidant Activity of Maize Under Water Stress. J. Am. Oil. Chem. Soc. 2010; 87: 1179–1187.
12. Kaplan M, Kale H, Karaman K, Unlukara A. Influence of different irrigation and nitrogen levels on crude oil and fatty acid composition of maize (Zea mays L.). Grasas y Aceites 2017; 68: 207.
13. Fereres E, Soriano MA. Deficit Irrigation for Reducing Agricultural Water Use. Journal of Experimental Botany 2007; 58: 147–159.
14. FAO. 2011. The State of the World’s Land and Water Resources for Food and Agriculture: Managing Systems at Risk.
15. Memon SA, Sheikh IA, Talpur MA, Mangrio MA. Impact of deficit irrigation strategies on winter wheat in semi-arid climate of sindh. Agricultural Water Management 2021; 243: 106389.
16. Viskonti F, Salvador A, Navarro P, de Paz, J M. Effects of Three Irrigation Systems on ‘Piel de Sapo’ Melon Yield and Quality under Salinity Conditions. Agric. Water Manag. 2019: 226; 105829
17. Bayar R, Yilmaz M. Türkiye’de Soya Fasulyesi ve Önemi. Uluslararası İnsan Bilimleri Dergisi 2005; 2: 1-12.
18. Hara AR, Radin NS. Lipid extraction of tissues with a lowtoxicity solvent. Analytic Biochemistry 1978; 90: 420-436.
19. Christie WW. Gas chromatography and lipids: a practical guide. The Oily Press, Ayr. 1990: 307 pp.
20. JMP®,Version 15.1.SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC. (1989-2020).
21. Sultan SM, Dikshit N, Vaidya UJ. Oil content and fatty acidcomposition of soybean (Glysine max L.) genotypesevaluated under rainfed conditions of Kashmir Himalayas in India. Journal of Applied and Natural Science 2015; 7: 910 – 915.
22. Başoğlu F. Bitkisel Yemeklik yağ teknolojisi. Gıda Teknolojisi 2. Anadolu Üniv. Açıköğretim Fak. Yayınları No:490. Eskişehir 1995; 171-232 pp.
23. Karaca E, Aytaç S. The Factors Affecting on Fatty Acid Composition of Oil Crops. J. of Fac. of Agric. 2007; 22: 123-131.
24. Abdelghany AM, Zhang S, Azam M, Shaibu AS, Feng Y, Qi J, Li Y, Tian Y, Hong H, Li B, Sun J. Natural Variation in Fatty Acid Composition of Diverse World Soybean Germplasms Grown in China. Agronomy 2019; 10: 24.
25. Kırnak H, Dogan E, Turkoglu H. Effect of drip irrigation intensity on soybean seed yield and quality in the semi-arid Harran plain Turkey. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 2010; 8: 1208-1217.
26. Henry T. The department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Grain Inspection. Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) Hand Book: USDA Soybean Oil Standards. Washington. USA. 2010.
27. Cuniberti MB, Herrero RM, Martinez MJ, Silva M, Baigorri HE, Para R, Weilenmann E, Masiero B. Fatty acids composition of the Argention soybean evaluated in different latitudes and planting dates. VII. World Soybean Research Conference, February 29 March 5. Brazil. 2004; 228-229
28. Röbbelen G, Downey RK, Ashri A. Oilcrops of the world. McGraw Hill. USA. 1989.
29. Ciabotti S, Juhász ACP, Mandarino JMG, Costa LL, Corrêa AD, Simão AA, Santos ENF. Chemical composition and lipoxygenase activity of soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill.) genotypes specific for human consumption with different tegument colours. Brazilian Journal of Food Technology 2019; 22: e2018003.
30. Jokić S, Sudar R, Svilović S, Vidović S, Bilić M, Velić D, Jurković V. Fatty Acid Composition of Oil Obtained from Soybeans by Extraction with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide. Czech J. Food Sci. 2013; 31: 116–125.
31. Akcura M. The relationships of some traits in Turkish winter bread wheat landraces. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry 2011; 35: 115-125.
32. Akcura M, Kokten K. Variations in grain mineral concentrations of Turkish wheat landraces germplasm. Quality Assurance and Safety of Crops & Foods 2017; 9: 153-159.
33. Kaplan M, Temizgul R, BBeyzi S, Kokten K, Karaman K. Classification of different Sorghum bicolor genotypes depending on fatty acid composition with using Biplot Analysis. Progress In Nutrıtıon 2018; 20: 699-705.
34. Larrigaudiere C, Lentheric I, Puy J, Pinto E. Biochemical characterization of core browning and brown heart disorder in pear by multivariate analysis. Postharvest Biology and Technology 2004; 31: 29-39.