Main Article Content
HDL Cholesterol, Vitamin D, Plasma Lipid, Biochemical, Professional Soccer Players
Study Objectives: This study aimed to evaluate the end-seasonal blood lipids and some metabolic parameters of the athletes who play football professionally. Methods: Thirty six male professional footballers playing in the Super League and TFF 2nd League (Turkish Football Federation Second League) in Sivas province, aged between 19 and 32 (mean age 23.33±3.49 years), participated in this research. The athlete age of the players participating in the study is 11.66±3.72 years. In addition, the athletes participating in the study regularly train 90-120 minutes a day, 6-7 times a week, and approximately 11 months a year. All measurements and venous blood sampling of the participants were collected between 09:00 and 10:00 in the morning after 12-hour fasting in June. The biochemical tests of the participants were obtained with the Beckman DXC-800 model autoanalyzer in the Private Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory and the enzymatic-colorimetric method. IBM SPSS Statistics 24 package software was used to analyze the obtained data. Descriptive statistics of the obtained data were given as mean and standard deviation. Results: Albumin, ALP, ALT, AST, B12 vitamin, Ca, Phosphorus, Creatinine, Mg, Free T3, Sodium, TSH, Ferritin, Folic Acid, Potassium, Free T4, and Uric Acid values of the participant athletes were found to be within normal limits. Conclusion: it was concluded that the HDL cholesterol levels of the smoker athletes were low due to smoking and vitamin D values were low in professional football players.
2. Farrokhyar F, Tabasinejad R, Dao D, et al. Prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy in athletes: a systematic-review and meta-analysis. Sports Med. 2015;45(3):365-78.
3. Duca A, John A, Norwig Joseph C, et al. Vitamin D profile in national football league players. Am J Sports Med 2015; 3: 1-5
4. Sercan C, Yavuzsoy E, Yuksel I, et al. Sporcu saglıgı ve atletik performansta d vitamini ve reseptorunun onemi. Journal of Marmara University Institute of Health Sciences 2015; 5(4): 259-264
5. Zambak O. Evaluation of Maximum aerobic power, shoot speed and 20m. sprint power of football players at pre-season, mid-season. International Journal of Disabilities Sports and Health Sciences, 2019; 2(2): 72-77.
6. Ziv G, Lidor R. Physical attributes, physiological characteristics, on-court performance and nutritional strategies of female and male basketball players. Sports Medicine, 2009; 39(7): 547–568.
7. Cebi M. The Effect of sports drinks and water consumption on electrolyte levels of football players. Studies on Ethno-Medicine, 2015; 9: 197-201.
8. Apostolidis N, Bogdanis GC, Kostopoulos N, et al. Changes in the lipid profile of elite basketball and soccer players after a match, research in sports medicine. An International Journal 2014; 22:1: 100-110.
9. Sotiropoulos A, Papapanagiotou A, Souglis A, et al. Changes in hormonal and lipid profile after a soccer match in male amateur players. Serbian Journal of Sports Sciences 2008; 2(1): 31–36.
10. Brites F, Verona J, De Geitere C, et al. Enhanced cholesterol efflux promotion in well-trained soccer players. Metabolism, 2004; 53(10): 1262-1267.
11. Rahnama N, Younesian A, Mohammadion M, et al. A 90 minute soccer match decreases triglyceride and low density lipoprotein but not high-density lipoprotein and cholesterol levels. Journal of research in medical sciences. The Official Journal of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences 2009; 14(6): 335.
12. Bezuglov E, Tikhonova A, Zueva A, et al. Prevalence and treatment of vitamin D deficiency in young male Russian soccer players in winter. Nutrients 2019; 11(10): 2405.
13. Rebolledo BJ, Bernard JA, Werner BC, et al. The association of vitamin D status in lower extremity muscle strains and core muscle injuries at the national football league combine. Arthrosc. J. Arthrosc. Relat. Surg 2018; 34: 1280–1285.
14. Savucu Y, Polat Y, Biçer YS. Atlet erkek çocukların 12 haftalık oyunlu ve oyunsuz uygulanan atletizm eğitiminin fiziksel uygunluklarına etkisi. Fırat Universitesi Saglık Bilimleri Dergisi 2005; 19: 199-204.
15. Bezci S. Elit Taekwondocularda antrenman oncesı ve sonrası bazı hematolojik ve biyokimyasal parametrelerin incelenmesi. Saglık Bilimleri Enstitusu, Beden Egitimi ve Spor Ana bilim Dalı, Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Konya: Selcuk Universitesi, 2007.
16. Ozturk C. Sporcularda ve sedanter bireylerde akut egzersiz öncesi gliserol takviyesinin bazı biyokimyasal parametreler ile laktat ve aerobik güc uzerine etkileri. Saglık Bilimleri Enstitusu, Beden Egitimi ve Spor Anabilim Dalı. Yuksek Lisans Tezi, Konya: Selcuk Universitesi 2009.
17. Koklu Y, Ersöz G, Alemdaroğlu U, Aşçı A, Özkan A. Physiological responses and time-motion characteristics of 4-a-side small-sided game in young soccer players: the ınfluence of different team formation methods. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2012; 26 (11): 3118-3123
18. Savas A. Elit Erkek futbolcularda musabaka performanslarının secilmis biyokimyasal ve hematolojik parametreler uzerine etkileri. Inonu Universitesi, Saglık Bilimleri Enstitusu, Doktora Tezi, Malatya, 2016.
19. Ghezzi S, Risé P, Ceruti S, et al. Effects of cigarette smoke on cell viability, linoleic acid metabolism and cholesterol synthesis, in THP-1 cells. Lipids 2007;42:629-36.
20. Barcin C, Tapan S, Kursaklioglu H. Effects of non-heavy smoking on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in healthy Turkish young men. Acta Cardiol 2006;61:411-5.
21. Arslan E, Yakar T, Yavasoğlu I. The effect of smoking on mean platelet volume and lipid profile in young male subjects. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 2008;8:422-5.
22. Kutlu R, Demirbaş N. Sigaranın trombosit sayısı, ortalama trombosit hacmi ve kardiyovasküler risk faktörleri üzerine etkileri: bir olgu kontrol çalışması. Med Bull Haseki 2017;55:299-305.
23. Demirtürk F, Kaya M. Sigara icen sedanterlerle sigara icen ve duzenli egzersiz alıskanlıgı olan olguların yasam kaliteleri. Journal of Contemporary Medicine 2016; 6(1):16-24.
24. Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 2007;357:266-281.
25. Vieth R. What is the optimal vitamin D status for health? Prog Biophys Mol Biol 2006;92(1):26-32.
26. Dawson-Hughes B. Vitamin D deficiency in adults: definition, clinical manifestations, and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/2015.
27. Close GL, Fraser WD. Vitamin D supplementation for athletes: too much of a good thing? Sport Exercise Scientist 2012;33:24-25.
28. Dahlquist DT, Dieter BP, Koehle MS. Plausible ergogenic effects of vitamin D on athletic performance and recovery. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:33.
29. Todd JJ, McSorley EM, Pourshahidi LK, et al. Vitamin D3 supplementation using an oral spray solution resolves deficiency but has no effect on VO2 max in Gaelic footballers: results from a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trial. Eur J Nutr 2017;56(4):1577-87.
30. Von Hurst PR, Beck KL. Vitamin D and skeletal muscle function in athletes. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2014;17(6):539-45.
31. Beck KL, Thomson JS, Swift RJ, et al. Role of nutrition in performance enhancement and postexercise recovery. Open Access J Sports Med. 2015;6:259-67.
32. Todd JJ, Pourshahidi LK, McSorley EM, et al. Vitamin D: recent advances and implications for athletes. Sports Med. 2015;45(2):213-29.
33. Malczewska-Lenczowska J, Sitkowski D, Surała O, et al. The association between iron and vitamin D status in female elite athletes. Nutrients. 2018;10(2):167.
34. Sikora-Klak J, Narvy SJ, Yang J, et al. The effect of abnormal vitamin D levels in athletes. Perm J. 2018;22:17-216.
35. Dönmez G, Torgutalp ŞŞ, Babayeva N, et al. Vitamin D status in soccer players with skeletal muscle injury. Turkish Journal of Sports Medicine. 2018;53(3):94-100.