Main Article Content
Garlic peel extract, anchovy burger, cold storage, lipid oxidation, fish quality
The effect of garlic peel extract (GPE) on the quality of anchovy (Engraulis engrasicholus L., 1758) burgers during cold storage was investigated. GPE was able to prevent lipid oxidation compared to control, since the scores of PV, TBARS and pH of the burgers supplemented with GPE showed lower values. The lowest TVC and PBC values were observed in the burgers treated with GPE, especially in the burgers treated %4 GPE. Sensory results showed that the use of 2% and 4% garlic peel extract extended the shelf life of anchovy burgers for 3 days.
2. TUIK. Turkey Statistical Institute, Fisheries Statistics. Republic of Turkey Prime Ministry State Institute of Statistics, Ankara 2017
3. Sankar TV, Anandan R, Mathew S, Asha KK, Lakshmanan PT, Varkey J, Aneesh PA, Mohanty, BP. Chemical composition and nutritional value of Anchovy (Stolephorus commersonii) caught from Kerala coast. India Euro J Exper Bio 2013; 3(1), 85–89.
4. Czerner M, Agustinelli SP, Guccione S, Yeannes MI. Effect of different preservation processes on chemical composition and fatty acid profile of anchovy (Engraulis anchoita). Int J Food Sci Nutr, 2015; 66(8), 887–894.
5. Schmidt MM, Kubota EH, Prestes RC, Mello RO, Rosa CS, Scapin G, Ferreira S. Development and evaluation of pork burger with added natural antioxidant based on extract of banana inflorescence (Musa cavendishii). CyTA-J Food 2016; 14(2): 280–288.
6. Duman M, Peksezer B. Quality changes of fish balls prepared from of mosul bleak (Alburnus mossulensis) stored at -18 ºC under air or vacuum. Ege J Fisheries Aqua Sci 2016; 33(3): 285–290.
7. Rahman MM, Fazlic V, Saad NW. Antioxidant properties of raw garlic (Allium sativum) extract. Inter Food Res J 2012; 19(2): 589–591.
8. Nagella P, Thiruvengadam M, Ahmad A, Yoon JY, Chung IM. Composition of polyphenols and antioxidant activity of garlic bulbs collected from different locations of Korea. Asian J Chem 2014; 26(3): 897–902.
9. Zakarova A, Seo JY, Kim HY, Kim JH, Shin JH, Cho KM, Lee CH, Kim, JS. Garlic sprouting is associated with increased antioxidant activity and concomitant changes in the metabolite profile. J Agric Food Chem 2014; 62(8): 1875–1880.
10. Petropoulosa S, Angela Fernandesb A, Barrosb L, Ciricc A, Sokovicc M, Ferreirab, ICFR Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of various Greek garlic genotypes. Food Chem 2018; 245: 7–12.
11. Ifesan BOT, Fadipe EA, Ifesan BT. Investigation of antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of garlic peel extract (Allium sativum) and its use as natural food additive in cooked beef. J Sci Res Reports 2014; 3(5): 711–721.
12. Ichikawa M, Ryu K, Yoshida J, Ide N, Kodera Y, Sasaoka T, Rosen RT. Identification of six phenylpropanoids from garlic skin as major antioxidants. J Agric Food Chem 2003; 51: 7313–7317.
13. Abdel‐Fattah AF, Edrees M. A study on the composition of garlic skins and the structural features of the isolated pectic acid. J Sci Food Agric 1972; 23(7): 871–¬877.
14. Tokur B, Polat A, Beklevik G, Ozkutuk S. Changes in the quality of fish burger produced from Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) during frozen storage (-18 C). European Food Res Technol 2004; 218: 420–423.
15. Manthey M, Karnop G, Rehbein H. Quality changes of European catfish (Silurus glanis) from warm water aquaculture during storage in ice. Int J Food Sci Technol 1988; 23: 1–9.
16. AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). Official methods of analyses of Association of Analytical Chemist (15th ed.) Washington: AOAC. 1990.
17. Tarladgis B, Watts BM, Yonathan M. Distillation method for determination of malonaldehit in rancid food. J American Oil Chem Soc 1960; 37: 44–48.
18. Paulus K, Zacharias R, Robinson L, Geidel H. Kritische betrachtungen zur ‘‘bewertenden pru¨ fung mit skale als einem wesentlichen verfahren der sensorischen analyse. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft und Technologie 1979; 12: 52–61.
19. Cao Y, Gu W, Zhang J, Chu Y, Ye X, Hu Y, Chen J. Effects of chitosan, aqueous extract of ginger, onion and garlic on quality and shelf life of stewed-pork during refrigerated storage. Food Chem 2013; 141: 1655–1660.
20. Guan W, Ren X, Li Y, Mao L. The beneficial effects of grape seed, sage and oregano extracts on the quality and volatile flavor component of hairtail fish balls during cold storage at 4°C. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2019; 121: 25–31.
21. Fernandes RPP, Trindade MA, Tonin FG, Pugine SMP, Lima CG, Lorenzo JM, Melo MP. Evaluation of oxidative stability of lamb burger with Origanum vulgare extract. Food Chem 2017; 233: 101–109.
22. Hamilton RJ, Kalu C, Prisk E, Padley FB, Pierce H. Chemistry of free radicals in lipids. Food Chem 1997; 60: 193–199.
23. Fanelli SL, Castro GD, Toranzo EG, Castro JA. Mechanisms of the preventive properties of some garlic components in the carbon tetrachioridepromoted oxidative stress. Diallyl sulfide; diallyl disulfide; allyl mercaptan and allyl methyl sulfide. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 1998; 102(2): 163–174.
24. Corzo Martinez M, Corzo N, Villamiel M. Biological properties of onions and garlic. Trends Food Sci Technol 2007; 18: 609–625.
25. Hassanpour S, Zamini A, Khanipour AA. Qualitative assessment of burger fish of (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) by using extract and powder of dill Plant during preservation in fridge. Biological Forum - An Inter J 2015; 7(1): 893–900.
26. Ucak I, Ozogul Y, Durmus M. Original articleThe effects of rosemary extract combination with vacuum packingon the quality changes of Atlantic mackerel fish burgers. Inter J Food Sci Technol 2011; 46: 1157–1163.
27. Al-Bulushi IM, Kasapis S, Al-Oufi H, Al-Mamari S. Evaluating the quality and storage stability of fish burgers during frozen storage. Fisheries Sci 2005; 71: 648–654.
28. Aubourg SP. Lipid damage detection during the frozen storage of an underutilized fish species. Food Res Inter 1999; 32: 497–502.
29. Ozen BO, Eren M, Pala A, Ozmen I, Soyer A. Effect of plant extracts on lipid oxidation during frozen storage of minced fish muscle. Int J Food Sci Technol 2011; 46: 724–731.
30. Ozogul Y, Ucar Y. The effects of natural extracts on the quality changes of frozen chub mackerel (Scomber japonicus) burgers. Food Bioprocess Technol 2013; 6: 1550–1560.
31. Kaba N, Yucel S, Corapcı B, Ozer O, Eryasar K. Shelf Life of anchovy (Engraulis engrasicholus, L.1758) patties stored at 4°C. Academic Food J 2012; 10(4): 19–23.
32. Bensid A, Ucar Y, Bendeddouchea B, Ozogul F. Effect of the icing with thyme, oregano and clove extracts on quality parameters of gutted and beheaded anchovy (Engraulis encrasicholus) during chilled storage. Food Chem 2014; 145: 681–686.
33. Izci L, Bilgin S, Gunlu A, Cetinkaya S, Diler A, Genc IY, Bolat Y. Quality changes of anchovy (Engraulis encrasicolus) doner during cold storage. J Agric Sci 2016; 22: 360–369.
34. ICMSF. Microorganisms in foods. The international commission on microbiological specifications for foods of the international union of biological societies (pp. 181-196). Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1986.
35. Bakri IM, Douglas CWI. Inhibitory effect of garlic extract on oral bacteria. Archives Oral Bio 2005; 50: 645–51.
36. Ibrahim Sallam K. Antimicrobial and antioxidant effects of sodium acetate, sodium lactate, and sodium citrate in refrigerated sliced salmon. Food Cont 2007; 18(5): 566–575.
37. Kose S, Karacam H, Kutlu S, Boran M. Investigating the shelf life of the anchovy dish called ‘hamsikuflu’ in frozen storage at -18±1ºC. Turkish J Vet Anim Sci 2001; 25: 651–656.
38. Bavitha M, Dhanapal K, Madhavan N, Reddy GV, Sravani K. Quality changes in fish burger from common carp (Cyprinus carpio) during refrigerated storage. Int J Sci Environ Technol 2016; 5(3): 1646–1657.
39. Coban EO. Effect of ginger oil on the sensory and chemical changes of fish finger (Sarda sarda, Haseckel 1843) during refrigerated storage. Inter Food Reser J 2013; 20(4): 1575–1578.