Main Article Content
Covid-19, Pandemic, Prevention measures, Occupational Medicine
The SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19 pandemic is a challenge for public health and occupational medicine and developing prevention and protection strategies needs expertise from many disciplines. To make prevention successful, individuals have to be motivated to participate and, in turn, motivation depends on understanding how and why prevention measures are implemented. We present a structured approach (the Cycle of prevention) which involves different stakeholders and perspectives to develop, and monitor, prevention strategies in transparent and effective ways.
2. Gross JF, L, Mohren J, Erren TC. Occupational Medicine in the time of COVID-19 - chances beyond workplace settings. La Medicina del Lavoro, 2020. 111(4): p. 328-329
3. Günther T, Czech-Sioli M, Indenbirken D, et al. SARS-CoV-2 outbreak investigation in a German meat processing plant. EMBO Mol Med. 2020;12(12):e13296. doi:10.15252/emmm.202013296
4. Weissberg D, Böni J, Rampini SK, et al. Does respiratory co-infection facilitate dispersal of SARS-CoV-2? investigation of a super-spreading event in an open-space office. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020;9(1):191. Published 2020 Dec 2. doi:10.1186/s13756-020-00861-z
5. Andrade RM. A company doctor's role during the COVID-19 pandemic. Clinics (Sao Paulo), 2020. 75: p. e1921
6. Spinazze A, Cattaneo A, and Cavallo DM. COVID-19 Outbreak in Italy: Protecting Worker Health and the Response of the Italian Industrial Hygienists Association. Ann Work Expo Health, 2020. 64(6): p. 559-564
7. United States Department of Labor. Covid-19, Hazard Recognition. 2021 Available from: https://www.osha.gov/coronavirus/hazards
8. Jarvis MC. Aerosol Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: Physical Principles and Implications. Front Public Health, 2020. 8: p. 590041
9. Dehghani F, Omidi F, Yousefinejad S, Taheri E. The hierarchy of preventive measures to protect workers against the COVID-19 pandemic: A review. Work. 2020;67(4):771-777. doi:10.3233/WOR-203330
10. Dumont-Leblond N, Veillette M, Mubareka S, et al. Low incidence of airborne SARS-CoV-2 in acute care hospital rooms with optimized ventilation. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020;9(1):2597-2605. doi:10.1080/22221751.2020.1850184
11. Jayaweera, M., et al., Transmission of COVID-19 virus by droplets and aerosols: A critical review on the unresolved dichotomy. Environ Res, 2020. 188: p. 109819.
12. Tang, S.W.K., et al., The use of personal protective equipment in clinical ophthalmology during corona virus disease-2019: a review of international guidelines and literature. Curr Opin Ophthalmol, 2020. 31(5): p. 435-446.
13. Cameron, S., et al., Quantitative fit testing with limited supplies of respirator masks in hospital personnel during the COVID-19 pandemic. Aust Health Rev, 2020. 44(4): p. 542-543.
14. 3M. Fit test vs fit check. Available from: https://safetynetwork.3m.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/3M_Fit_check_test_infographic_HR.pdf.
15. Labor, U.S.D.o. Transcript for the OSHA Training Video Entitled Respirator Fit Testing. Available from: https://www.osha.gov/video/respiratory_protection/fittesting_transcript.html.
16. Rollings L. FFP3 respirator face fit testing - what is it all about? Br Dent J, 2020. 229(2): p. 112-114.
17. Elston DM. Occupational skin disease among health care workers during the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic. J Am Acad Dermatol, 2020. 82(5): p. 1085-1086.
18. Lan J, Song Z, Miao X, et al. Skin damage among health care workers managing coronavirus disease-2019. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;82(5):1215-1216. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2020.03.014
19. Darlenski R, Tsankov N. COVID-19 pandemic and the skin: what should dermatologists know? Clin Dermatol, 2020. 38(6): p. 785-787.
20. Delgado D, Wyss Quintana F, Perez G, et al. Personal Safety during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Realities and Perspectives of Healthcare Workers in Latin America. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(8):2798. Published 2020 Apr 18. doi:10.3390/ijerph17082798
21. Coffey S, Moynagh A, Green B, et al. Changes to management of a non-pandemic illness during the COVID-19 pandemic: case study of invasive management of acute coronary syndrome. N Z Med J. 2020;133(1513):101-106. Published 2020 Apr 24
22. Giorgi G, Lecca LI, Alessio F, et al. COVID-19-Related Mental Health Effects in the Workplace: A Narrative Review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(21):7857. Published 2020 Oct 27. doi:10.3390/ijerph17217857
23. Herron JBT, Kuht JA, Hussain AZ, Gens KK, Gilliam AD. Do theatre staff use face masks in accordance with the manufacturers' guidelines of use?. J Infect Prev. 2019;20(2):99-106. doi:10.1177/1757177418815551
24. Wennmann DO, Dlugos CP, Hofschröer A, et al. Umgang mit COVID-19 in der Notaufnahme : Erfahrungsbericht der interdisziplinären Notaufnahme des Universitätsklinikums Münster [Handling of COVID-19 in the emergency department : Field report of the emergency ward of the University Hospital Münster]. Med Klin Intensivmed Notfmed. 2020;115(5):380-387. doi:10.1007/s00063-020-00693-0
25. Houghton C, Meskell P, Delaney H, et al. Barriers and facilitators to healthcare workers' adherence with infection prevention and control (IPC) guidelines for respiratory infectious diseases: a rapid qualitative evidence synthesis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020;4(4):CD013582. Published 2020 Apr 21. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD013582
26. Watterson A. COVID-19 in the UK and Occupational Health and Safety: Predictable not Inevitable Failures by Government, and Trade Union and Nongovernmental Organization Responses. New Solut, 2020. 30(2): p. 86-94.
27. Gross JV, Mohren J, Erren TC. COVID-19 and Health Care Workers: A rapid systematic review into risks and preventive measures. BMJ Open, 2021;11(1):e042270. Published 2021 Jan 20. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2020-042270