RCC; bone metastases; radiotherapy; PD-1; CTLA-4; immunotherapy
In the last recent years, the introduction in the clinical setting of treatment combinations having immune checkpoint inhibitors as the backbone has dramatically improved the outcomes of patients suffering from advanced/metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC). Here we report the clinical course of a patient with a rapid and bulky bone recurrence of RCC after nephrectomy, experiencing long-term benefit from nivolumab–ipilimumab administered as first-line treatment.
2. Choueiri TK, Powles T, Burotto M, et al. Nivolumab plus cabozantinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2021;384(9):829-841.
3. Motzer R, Alekseev B, Rha SY, et al. Lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab or everolimus for advanced renal cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2021;384(14):1289-1300.
4. Powles T, Plimack ER, Soulières D, et al. Pembrolizumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib monotherapy as first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (KEYNOTE-426): extended follow-up from a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2020;21(12):1563-1573.
5. Motzer RJ, Tannir NM, McDermott DF, et al. Nivolumab plus ipilimumab versus sunitinib in advanced renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2018;378(14):1277–1290
6. Powles T, Albiges L, Bex A, et al. ESMO Clinical Practice Guideline update on the use of immunotherapy in early stage and advanced renal cell carcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2021 Dec;32(12):1511-1519.
8. Albiges L, Tannir NM, Burotto M, et al. Nivolumab plus ipilimumab versus sunitinib for first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma: extended 4-year follow-up of the phase III CheckMate 214 trial. ESMO Open. 2020;5(6):e001079.
9. Motzer RJ, Tannir NM, McDermott DF, et al. 661P - Conditional survival and 5-year follow-up in CheckMate 214: First-line nivolumab + ipilimumab (N+I) versus sunitinib (S) in advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC) Annals of Oncology (2021) 32 (suppl_5): S678-S724. 10.1016/annonc/annonc675
10. Desai K, Brown L, Wei W, et al. A Multi-institutional, Retrospective Analysis of Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma to Bone Treated with Combination Ipilimumab and Nivolumab.
Target Oncol. 2021;16(5):633-642.
11. Topalian SL, Hodi FS, Brahmer JR, et al. Five-year survival and correlates among patients with advanced melanoma, renal cell carcinoma, or non–small cell lung cancer treated with nivolumab. JAMA Oncol. 2019;5(10):1411-1420.
12. Gouveia AG, Chan DCW, Hoskin PJ, et al. Advances in radiotherapy in bone metastases in the context of new target therapies and ablative alternatives: A critical review. Radiother Oncol. 2021;163:55-67.
13. Switzer B, Haanen J, Lorigan PC, Puzanov I, Turajlic S. Clinical and immunologic implications of COVID-19 in patients with melanoma and renal cell carcinoma receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors. J Immunother Cancer. 2021;9(7):e002835.