Main Article Content
Breast cancer, Biomarker, microRNA
Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer among women and the most frequent cause of death due to cancer among women. The lack of standard biomarkers in the early diagnosis of breast cancer, microRNAs (miRNA) have been of interest recently. Although, miRNAs are 19-24 nucleotide-long non-coding RNA species, they have crucial roles in many areas from organogenesis to carcinogenesis. This study has been conducted to investigate miR 21, miR 27b, miR 125a, miR 155, miR 200c, miR 335 miR373 as biomarkers in the early diagnosis of breast cancer; a selection based on the literature. Two miRNAs, miR 181 and miR 192 were selected as the endogenous control. MiRNAs were obtained from 5 cc blood samples taken from 20 breast cancer patients and 20 healthy people. 10 microRNAs were studied using Real Time PCR method. As a result, the quantities of miR 21, miR155 and miR125 were significantly higher in the breast cancer group than in healthy controls. We suggest that performing validation studies in wider populations can help the use of miRNAs as biomarkers in the early diagnosis of breast cancer.
2. Zaleski M, Kobilay M, Schroeder L, et.al. Improved sensitivity for detection of breast cancer by combination of miR-34a and tumor markers CA 15-3 or CEA. Oncotarget. 2018 Apr 27;9(32):22523-22536. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.25077. eCollection 2018 Apr 27.
3. Lee RC, Feinbaum RL and Ambros V: The c. elegans heterochronic gene lin‑4 encodes small RNAs with antisense complementarity to lin‑14. Cell 1993;75: 843‑854.
4. Condrat CE, Thompson DC, Barbu MG et.al. miRNAs as Biomarkers in Disease: Latest Findings Regarding Their Role in Diagnosis and Prognosis. Cells. 2020 Jan 23;9(2). pii: E276. doi: 10.3390/cells9020276.
5.Abolghasemi M, Tehrani SS, Yousefi T et.al. MicroRNAs in breast cancer: Roles, functions, and mechanism of actions J Cell Physiol. 2019 Nov 14. doi: 10.1002/jcp.29396.
6. Fridrichova I, Zmetakova I. MicroRNAs Contribute to Breast Cancer Invasiveness. Cells. 2019 Oct 31;8(11). pii: E1361. doi: 10.3390/cells8111361.
7.Rahman MM, Brane AC, Tollefsbol TO.MicroRNAs and Epigenetics Strategies to Reverse Breast Cancer. Cells. 2019 Oct 8;8(10). pii: E1214. doi: 10.3390/cells8101214.
8.Cowland JB Hother C, Gronbaek K. MicroRNAs and cancer. APMIS 2007; 115:1090-1106.
9. Loh HY, Norman BP, Lai KS, et.al. The Regulatory Role of MicroRNAs in Breast Cancer. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Oct 6;20(19). pii: E4940. doi: 10.3390/ijms20194940.
10. Hajian-Tilaki K. Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Curve Analysis for Medical Diagnostic Test Evaluation. Caspian J Intern Med. 2013;4(2):627-35.
11. Jena MK. MicroRNAs in the development and neoplasia of the mammary gland. Version 2. F1000Res. 2017 Jun 28 [revised 2017 Oct 3]; 6:1018. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.12005.2. eCollection 2017.
12. Petrovic N, Davidovic R, Bajic V, Obradovic M, Isenovic RE. MicroRNA in breast cancer: The association with BRCA1/2. Cancer Biomark. 2017;19(2):119-128. doi: 10.3233/CBM-160319.
13.Swellam M, El Magdoub HM, Hassan NM. Et.al. Potential diagnostic role of circulating MiRNAs in breast cancer: Implications on clinicopathological characters. Clin Biochem. 2018 Jun; 56:47-54. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2018.04.013. Epub 2018 Apr 19.
14. Han JG, Jiang YD, Zhang CH, et.al. A novel panel of serum miR-21/miR-155/miR-365 as a potential diagnostic biomarker for breast cancer. Ann Surg Treat Res. 2017 Feb;92(2):55-66. doi: 10.4174/astr.2017.92.2.55. Epub 2017 Jan 31.
15. Dastmalchi N, Safaralizadeh R, Baradaran B, et.al. An update review of deregulated tumor suppressive microRNAs and their contribution in various molecular subtypes of breast cancer. Gene. 2019 Dec 26:144301. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2019.144301.
16. Gilam A, Shai A Ashkenazi I et. al. MicroRNA regulation of progesterone receptor in breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2017 Apr 18;8(16):25963-25976. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.15657.
17. Parashar D, Geethadevi A, Aure MR, et.al. miRNA 551b-3p Activates an Oncostatin Signaling Module for the Progression of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.Cell Rep. 2019 Dec 24;29(13):4389-4406.e10. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.11.085.
18. Piasecka D, Braun M, Kordek R et.al. MicroRNAs in regulation of triple-negative breast cancer progression. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2018 Jun 19. doi: 10.1007/s00432-018-2689-2. [Epub ahead of print]