Main Article Content
Orthopaedics, Bibliometrics, Europe, Most Cited Article, EFFORT, Topic Trend
Purpose The purpose of this bibliometric study was to summarize European orthopedic literature produced by EFORT memberships between 2009 and 2019 and to identify the 100 most cited articles, analyzing the characteristics that made them so interesting for the orthopedic scientific world.
Method A search of the literature was conducted using Clarivate Analytics Web of Science in the subject category “orthopaedics”; then the results were summarized using Web of Science tools.
Results A total of 160.375 articles were found: most of these were produced by England. In particular the most prolific institution was the University of London. Analyzing in detail the 100 most cited publications emerged that most of them were review published in journal with high impact factor (Q1). The University of Oxford was the institution with the greatest number of contributions (13%). The most cited topics were osteoarthritis (24%), followed by orthopedic basic science (22%). Biomaterials was the most common topic by ordering the 100 analyzed articles according to “usage count”, a recent indicator of the level of interest in a specific item.
Conclusion This bibliometric study can be useful to identify topics of interest for future scientific research and to outline the features that make some publications more interesting than others.
2. Biddle, S.J., Asare, M.: Physical activity and mental
health in children and adolescents: A review of re- views. British Journal of Sports Medicine 45(11), 886–
895 (2011). DOI 10.1136/bjsports-2011-090185
3. Bijlsma, J.W., Berenbaum, F., Lafeber, F.P.: Osteoarthritis: An update with relevance for clinical practice. The Lancet 377(9783), 2115–2126 (2011). DOI
4. C¸ evik, H.B., Gu¨mu¨¸sta¸s, S.A.: Fifty top-cited classic pa-
pers in orthopaedic oncology: a bibliometric analysis. Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery 139(9), 1187–1192 (2019). DOI 10.1007/s00402- 019-03165-z. URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00402-019-03165-z
5. Churchill, A.W., Malacova, E., Journeaux, S.F., Richardson, M., Crawford, R., Vickers, M.L.: A decade of Australian and New Zealand orthopaedic publications: a bibliometric trend analysis from 2008 to 2018. International Orthopaedics 43(10), 2217–2226 (2019). DOI 10.1007/s00264-019-04359-1
6. Erivan, R., Villatte, G., Ollivier, M., Reina, N., Descamps, S., Boisgard, S.: The top 100 most-cited Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research articles. Orthopaedics and Traumatology: Surgery and Research 105(8), 1459–1462 (2019). DOI 10.1016/j.otsr.2019.01.016. URL https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2019.01.016
7. Jiang, Y., Hu, R., Zhu, G.: Top 100 cited articles on infection in orthopaedics: A bibliometric analysis. Medicine 98(2), e14067 (2019). DOI 10.1097/MD. 0000000000014067
8. Kanis, J.A., McCloskey, E.V., Johansson, H., Cooper, C., Rizzoli, R., Reginster, J.Y.: European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in post- menopausal women. Osteoporosis International 24(1), 23–57 (2013). DOI 10.1007/s00198- 012-2074-y
9. Lee, Y.C., Brooks, F., Sandler, S., Yau, Y.H., Selby, M., Freeman, B.: Most cited publications in cervical spine surgery. International journal of spine surgery 11(3) (2017)
10. Lefaivre, K., Shadgan, B., , Related, P.O.C.O., undefined 2011: 100 most cited articles in orthopaedic surgery. Springer URL https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11999-010-1604-1
11. Li, Y., Xu, G., Long, X., Ho, Y.S.: A bibliometric analysis of classic publications in web of science category of orthopedics. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research 14(1), 1–11 (2019). DOI 10.1186/s13018- 019-1247-1
12. Liang, G., Hou, H., Hu, Z., Huang, F., Wang, Y., Zhang, S.: Usage Count: A New Indicator to Detect Research Fronts. Journal of Data and Information Science 2(1), 89–104 (2017). DOI 10.1515/jdis-2017-0005
13. Lum, Z.C., Pereira, G.C., Giordani, M., Meehan, J.P.: Top 100 most cited articles in orthopaedic surgery: An update: Updated top 100 orthopaedic articles. Journal of Orthopaedics 19, 132–137 (2020). DOI 10.1016/j.jor.2019.11.039. URL https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2019.11.039
14. Piolanti, N., Nesti, A., Andreani, L., Parchi, P.D., Cervi, V., Castellini, I., Marchetti, S.: The fifty most cited Italian articles in the orthopaedic literature. Musculoskeletal Surgery 99(2), 105–111 (2015). DOI 10.1007/ s12306-015-0352-5
15. Piolanti, N., Poggetti, A., Nucci, A.M., Nesti, A., Marchetti, S., Parchi, P.D., Scaglione, M.: The 50 most cited articles about wrist surgery. Orthopedic Reviews
10(4), 137–140 (2018). DOI 10.4081/or.2018.7715
16. Zhang, W., Tang, N., Li, X., George, D.M., He, G., Huang, T.: The top 100 most cited articles on total hip arthroplasty: A bibliometric analysis. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research 14(1), 1–14 (2019). DOI 10.1186/s13018-019-1476-3