Main Article Content
COVID-19, containment, prevalence, mortality
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 epidemic in Italy, the Italian Government implemented several restrictive measures to contain the spread of the infection. Data shows that, among these measures, the lockdown implemented as of 9 March had a positive impact, in particular the central and southern regions of Italy, while other actions appeared to be less effective. When the true prevalence of a disease is unknown, it is possible estimate it, based on mortality data and the assumptive case-fatality rate of the disease. Given these assumptions, the estimated period-prevalence of COVID-19 in Italy varies from 0.35% in Sicity to 13.3% in Lombardy.
2. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Situation update 6 april 2020. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases (accessed 08.04.20)
3. Lazzerini M, Putoto G. COVID-19 in Italy: momentous decisions and many uncertainties. Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Mar 18. pii: S2214-109X(20)30110-8
4. Signorelli C, Odone A, Oradini-Alacreu A, Pelissero G. Universal Health Coverage in Italy: lights and shades of the Italian National Health Service which celebrated its 40th anniversary. Health Policy. 2020 Jan;124(1):69-74.
5. Boccia S, Ricciardi W, Ioannidis JPA. What Other Countries Can Learn From Italy During the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA Intern Med. 2020 Apr 7. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.1447. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Anderson RM, Heesterbeek H, Klinkenberg D, Hollingsworth TD. How will country-based mitigation measures influence the course of the COVID-19 Epidemic?. The Lancet. Published: 9 March 2020.
7. WHO. Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response: A WHO Guidance Document. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009. 4, The WHO pandemic phases. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143061/
8. Lau H, Khosrawipour V, Kocbach P, Mikolajczyk A, Schubert J, Bania J, Khosrawipour T. The positive impact of lockdown in Wuhan on containing the COVID-19 outbreak in China. J Travel Med. 2020 Mar 17. pii: taaa037. doi: 10.1093/jtm/taaa037.
9. Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana, Raccolta degli atti recanti misure urgenti in materia di contenimento e gestione dell'emergenza epidemiologica da COVID-19
10. ISTAT L’andamento dei decessi del 2020. Dati anticipatori sulla base del sistema ANPR. Nota esplicativa 2020 Mar 31
11. UCSC. Coronavirus, le stime dei ricercatori: “In Italia almeno 2800 morti non dichiarati” (to be completed)
12. Oke J, Heneghan C. Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates. The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine develops, promotes and disseminates better evidence for healthcare (CEBM). https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/ (accessed 07.04.20)
13. Ferguson N, et al. Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID19 mortality and healthcare demand. 16 Mar 2020; doi.org/10.25561/77482
14. Villa M. La letàlità italiana tra apparenza e realtà. ISPI, 27 3 2020. https://www.ispionline.it/it/pubblicazione/coronavirus-la-letalita-italia-tra-apparenza-e-realta-25563