Main Article Content
yolk sac tumor, germ cell tumor, ovarian torsion, ovarian tumor, alpha-fetoprotein
Yolk sac tumor (YST) is a rare tumor that usually occurs in the first two decades of life. It is considered the second most common malignant germ cell tumor of the ovary, characterized by a rapid growth and a bad prognosis due to the frequent metastasis. We report the case of a 12-year-old girl who came to our observation for an acute abdominal pain. Clinical examination evidenced a vague mass in the suprapubic region and a lower abdomen tenderness, the US imaging revealed a complex lesion of the left ovary (19 x 13 cm) and the alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) resulted high (5858 ng/mL). Computed tomography (CT) revealed a large pelvic mass. The treatment consisted of debulking surgery of yolk sac tumor followed by 4 cycles of BEP protocol (Bleomycin, Etoposide, Cisplatin). After 3 years of follow-up there was no evidence of disease recurrence.
2. Caserta D, Ralli E, Bordi G, Moscarini M. An unusual clinical presentation of a pure yolk sac tumor of the ovary: case report. Eur J Gynaec Oncol 2013;34:577-579.
3. Mitchell PL, Al-Nasiri N, A'Hern R et al. Treatment of non-dysgerminomatous ovarian germ cell tumors: an analysis of 69 cases. Cancer 1999; 85:2232-2244.
4. Nawa A, Obata N, Kikkawa F et al. Prognostic factors of patients with yolk sac tumors of the ovary. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2001; 184:1182-1188.
5. von Allmen D. Malignant lesions of the ovary in childhood. Semin Pediatr Surg 2005;14:100–105.
6. Loh AH, Gee KW, Chua JH. Diagnostic accuracy of preoperative alpha-fetoprotein as an ovarian tumor marker in children and adolescents: not as good as we thought?. Pediatr Surg Int 2013; 29:709–713.
7. Eddaoualline H, Sami H, Rais H, Belbaraka R, El Omrani A, Khouchani M. Ovarian Yolk sac tumor: a case report and literature review. Clin Case Rep Int 2018; 2:1057.
8. Dallenbach P, BonnefoiH, Pelte MF, Vlastos G. Yolk sac tumors of the ovary: an update. Eur J Surg Oncol 2006; 32:1063-1075.
9. Fathalla AE, Shokralla HA. Yolk Sac Tumor of the Ovary in 18 Egyptian Cases: Does It Really Differ? J Cancer Ther 2016; 7:247-253.
10. Mckenney J, Heerema-McKenney A, Rouse RV. Extragonadal germ cell tumors: a review with emphasis on pathologic features, clinical prognostic variables, and differential diagnostic considerations. Adv Anat Pathol 2007; 14:69-92.
11. Jones RG, Akande MY, Younes HK, Jagarpu J, Mba N, Savell VH, Almond SP. Yolk sac tumor of the ovary in a young girl with tuberous sclerosis: A case report and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol Rep 2014;10:9-12.
12. Tewari K, Cappuccini F, Disaia PJ, Berman ML, Manetta A, Kohler MF. Malignant germ cell tumors of the ovary. Obstet Gynecol 2000;95:128-133.
13. van den Akker M, Vervloessem D, Huybrechs A, Declercq S, van der Werff Ten Bosch J. Yolk sac tumor in the abdominal wall of an 18-month-old girl: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2017;11:47.
14. Christopher SC. Prepubertal Testicular and Paratesticular Tumors: Medscape Reference. New York, NY:WebMD LLC, 2011.
15. Khan IU, Jose J, Fawazy T, HadiWA, Sharma PK. Testicular yolk sac tumor in an eight-month old child: a case report. Gulf Med J 2012; 1:37–40.
16. Sell A, Sogaard H, Norgaard-Pedersen B. Serum alpha-fetoprotein as a marker for the effect of post-operative radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy in eight cases of ovarian endodermal sinus tumour. Int J Cancer 1976;18:574–580.
17. Guida M, Pignata S, Palumbo AR et al. Laparoscopic treatment of a yolk sac tumour: case report and literature review. Translational Med 2013;7:1-5.
18. Moniaga NC, Randall LM. Malignant mixed ovarian germ cell tumour with embryonal component. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2011;24:e1-e3.
19. Kawai M, Kano T, Furuhashi Y et al. Prognostic factors in yolk sac tumors of the ovary. A clinicopathologic analysis of 29 cases. Cancer 1991; 67:184–192.